Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Create Bootable USB Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This might be more of an add-on / external program idea, but I had what I think is a fantastic idea and know that some people are just itching to add functionality, so I thought I'd share!

Occasionally it would be nice to make a bootable version of Kodi on a USB stick with some items from your library on it -- an interface to select items and say "make portable" would be fantastic -- even better if it would replace default backgrounds on whatever skin it used (selectable? the one currently in use?) with fan art. I'm imagining a very stripped-down Kodi -- mostly just functional enough to show and play the few files in the library and maybe an "about kodi" link so that people know what they're seeing.

Would this be at all do-able? Can whatever needs to be done to have a functioning library be done? Would there be a good way to select titles from a library and calculate USB stick size requirements? I'm not very programming-oriented, so please feel BEYOND free to take this idea and implement it without asking, and in whatever way you would want!
Yes, you can run kodi in portable mode where it will store userdata folders with the program folder. Copy/paste onto a usb drive. You could re-assign the drive letter to something like U. The reason you want to assign a higher letter is because it has a much higher chance of not being used already on a system(Ya never know someone's setup!) Then you would create an autorun to automatically map that drive as drive U EVERYTIME. This would allow you to throw whatever videos you would like and scan them into the library. So now no matter who's computer you put that bad boy into it will automatically map itself as U drive and when you load kodi it should see the videos mapped and playable. Get yourself a 128g stick and you could carry a tiny library!

Here is a similar fix that looks for a specific file on the drive to map itself. Haven't used it myself but it doesn't look hard to adapt to your needs:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19838...assignment
I think it's called OpenELEC.

I do agree though that a "select these movies/tv episodes/music tracks and move them and their library entries to a portable stick" would be a great holiday/travel tool.