Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: A must have feature: Volume normalization (Loudness Equalization)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I do not know why such a vital feature still not implemented yet on KODI. Every serious media player have this: Windows Media Player, VLC, Media Player Classic - Home Cinema etc... In most cases it forces me shutdown Kodi and go watch the movie on another platform (i.e. my Windows PC) because lack of this feature really makes the dialogues inaudible. Please implement this feature as soon as possible, thanks.

My OS is OpenELEC and I'm on Raspberry Pi 2.
There's a poor man's audio compressor in the audio amplification feature, which you can see in the video settings under video playback (wiki)'s on-screen display.

In Kodi v16 you can also turn up individual speakers, such as the center speaker in a 5.1 system, which is used for dialogue. I don't know if that can then be used if it's downmixed to stereo. I haven't tried that.

The v16 Audio DSP add-ons will also allow a more "feature-rich" (for a lack of better words) compressor that works more like what you've described. I'm not sure if anyone is working on such an add-on, but it's now possible to make.
(2016-03-05, 10:08)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]There's a poor man's audio compressor in the audio amplification feature, which you can see in the video settings under video playback (wiki)'s on-screen display.

In Kodi v16 you can also turn up individual speakers, such as the center speaker in a 5.1 system, which is used for dialogue. I don't know if that can then be used if it's downmixed to stereo. I haven't tried that.

The v16 Audio DSP add-ons will also allow a more "feature-rich" (for a lack of better words) compressor that works more like what you've described. I'm not sure if anyone is working on such an add-on, but it's now possible to make.

I have stereo speakers so no 5.1. I also tried turning volume down and turning up the amplification but only thing it did was introducing lots of audible white noise.