Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Why 'Estuary'?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone know why the name 'Estuary' was chosen? Does it mean something else in another language other than English?
An estuary is a partly enclosed coastal body of brackish water with one or more rivers or streams flowing into it, and with a free connection to the open sea. Estuaries form a transition zone between river environments and maritime environments.
In other words, someone looked up 'confluence' in a thesaurus and found a word that sort of means something similar ... ;-)
(2016-03-11, 13:18)mazey Wrote: [ -> ]An estuary is a partly enclosed coastal body of brackish water with one or more rivers or streams flowing into it, and with a free connection to the open sea.
It's basically a metaphor for your media setup. The streams flowing into it are your sources like TV feed, internet streams, video shares, music and photo shares, and it brings it all together in the open sea that is Kodi on your big screen.
I don't know if anyone who was involved in the naming has ever seen an estuar, but the ones I know of are dirty brown swamps of churned up silt. They are also the ideal site for sewage outflows and you'll often find one where you the other.

You wouldn't swim in one and you certainly wouldn't name a loved one after it! You've effectively named your new skin 'sewer'.
(2016-03-25, 11:51)LeeJS Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know if anyone who was involved in the naming has ever seen an estuar, but the ones I know of are dirty brown swamps of churned up silt. They are also the ideal site for sewage outflows and you'll often find one where you the other.

You wouldn't swim in one and you certainly wouldn't name a loved one after it! You've effectively named your new skin 'sewer'.
HAHAHA... this is exactly what I have been thinking... Especially when thinking in the UK as Estuary English is a bit of a dumbed down accent. So not the most positive of labels to use.
(2016-03-27, 19:24)BatterPudding Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-03-25, 11:51)LeeJS Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know if anyone who was involved in the naming has ever seen an estuar, but the ones I know of are dirty brown swamps of churned up silt. They are also the ideal site for sewage outflows and you'll often find one where you the other.

HAHAHA... this is exactly what I have been thinking... Especially when thinking in the UK as Estuary English is a bit of a dumbed down accent. So not the most positive of labels to use.

OMG this! I lived by one in Southwest England for about 10 years.

To me that's exactly what an estuary is.. A brown dirty swamp of churned up silt with a sewage outlet in the middle!

Could be that is a very British view, maybe to others it has a slightly different image?
(2016-04-06, 10:36)Gothicawakening Wrote: [ -> ]OMG this! I lived by one in Southwest England for about 10 years.

To me that's exactly what an estuary is.. A brown dirty swamp of churned up silt with a sewage outlet in the middle!

Could be that is a very British view, maybe to others it has a slightly different image?
As a fellow Brit living in the South East coast, there are some pretty estuaries on the coast too. Normally full of birds and boats. And of course, by law, a shopping trolley.

I do so hope someone makes us a shopping trolley add-on for KODI Estuary.
ronie already explained quite well the reasoning behind the naming:

(2016-03-02, 14:49)ronie Wrote: [ -> ]Estuary is a giant piece of crap.

Smile
(2016-04-06, 15:35)phil65 Wrote: [ -> ]ronie already explained quite well the reasoning behind the naming:

Smile
Be fair... the original Victorian design meant for DILUTED Crap in an estuary Big Grin

Why did the names jump from Confluence to Estuary missing out Delta? Does that mean the next codename also needs to skip F and go straight to G. For which I propose "Gutter" to keep in the theme....
(2016-04-06, 15:56)BatterPudding Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-04-06, 15:35)phil65 Wrote: [ -> ]ronie already explained quite well the reasoning behind the naming:

Smile
Be fair... the original Victorian design meant for DILUTED Crap in an estuary Big Grin

Why did the names jump from Confluence to Estuary missing out Delta? Does that mean the next codename also needs to skip F and go straight to G. For which I propose "Gutter" to keep in the theme....

We will go back to "C" and call it "Craptuary"