Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: False positive? - 360 Total Security
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi.

For the last couple of days I've been trying to download and install the latest daily of Kodi 17 but my antivirus package, 360 Total Security is blocking the download and install and reports that the installer contains a trojan :-(

Is this a false positive by 360 Total Security and if so, anyone know of a work-around so I can try the latest build?

For clarity, I've tried installing the latest daily build in a Windows 10 virtual machine and also in a stand-alone Windows 10 set-up.... both are getting the antivirus warning from Kodi 17.
It will certainly be a fault positive if you are downloading from the official links at the top of this page.

That "360 Total Security" is a bit of a dubious product... found it on a client's PC the other day. Not something I'd trust. Especially as once it was removed and replaced with something safer the PC turned out to be infected.
(2016-03-13, 15:34)BatterPudding Wrote: [ -> ]It will certainly be a fault positive if you are downloading from the official links at the top of this page.

That "360 Total Security" is a bit of a dubious product... found it on a client's PC the other day. Not something I'd trust. Especially as once it was removed and replaced with something safer the PC turned out to be infected.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I can confirm I downloaded from the official site (used the link from here)

Ok about your thoughts on 360 Total Security. I guess antivirus packages are a personal thing. All I can say is I've used it for some time, on a number of different devices and found it to work well but like all such packages, they are not perfect and hence my query about a possible false positive.

I'll create another virtual machine and install another Antivirus package and see what happens.

Thanks again
False positives like this appear because the AV company are seeing something they do not like inside the package and they flag it. That thing they see is usually just the method of compression used, or a library as part of the application. IN the next few days people at the company will update the list to deal with the false positive.

As a decent reassurances to yourself just go to https://www.virustotal.com/ and test the download there. That site will pass your file or URL through all the top anti-virus products at the same time and give you results from all of them. Very handy as a double check.

Sixty Seven different anti-virus products give the 12th March nightly build of KODI 17 a clean bill of health....

https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/8cbb33...457880352/
(2016-03-13, 16:42)BatterPudding Wrote: [ -> ]False positives like this appear because the AV company are seeing something they do not like inside the package and they flag it. That thing they see is usually just the method of compression used, or a library as part of the application. IN the next few days people at the company will update the list to deal with the false positive.

As a decent reassurances to yourself just go to https://www.virustotal.com/ and test the download there. That site will pass your file or URL through all the top anti-virus products at the same time and give you results from all of them. Very handy as a double check.

Sixty Seven different anti-virus products give the 12th March nightly build of KODI 17 a clean bill of health....

https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/8cbb33...457880352/

Thanks for all the info... much appreciated.

Have just removed 360 Total Security from the virtual machine and trying another (free) antivirus package. Just about to download and install the latest Kodi 17 build.... fingers crossed :-)

Cheers!
Hi again.

Just a quick update.

I've just removed 360 Total Security from my virtual machine and installed another package (Avast) and glad to report that I was able to download and install the latest Kodi 17 build without any issues.

Windows 10 tried to block Kodi at first with 'Unknown program' when I ran the installation, but all pretty typical stuff from Windows :-)

Looks like 360 Total Security has issues with the latest build of Kodi, although all other versions of Kodi that I've run while using 360 Total Security have not be flagged as a risk.

Thanks again
Glad I could help. You are also right about anti-virus being a personal choice. We all have our favourite brands.

Trouble is I am in a oddly unusual situation where the day job means fixing infected PCs. So any infected PC I get which has some brand of anti-virus installed but failing to protect the PC properly gets marked down by me. I also have never been a fan over over bloated packages like McAfee. (Though I could probably sit here and slag off most of the major brands... nothing is perfect)

I never like using the "W Word", but even Wikipedia is bashing 360's dubious trading practices. Big Grin

The best anti-virus is common sense though. And keep virustotal.com bookmarked as it is ideal for double checking problems like this.
Notice also that "Win 10 said Unknown Program". So I assume you mean you downloading using Edge. Which, again, has a built in list of "safe" programs.

You are downloading a nightly build. This will mean only a few thousand people have downloaded it. Not enough yet to get onto the "safe file" lists of Edge.
(2016-03-13, 17:10)BatterPudding Wrote: [ -> ]Notice also that "Win 10 said Unknown Program". So I assume you mean you downloading using Edge. Which, again, has a built in list of "safe" programs.

You are downloading a nightly build. This will mean only a few thousand people have downloaded it. Not enough yet to get onto the "safe file" lists of Edge.

Hi again.

No Edge browser thank you :-) .... I typically use Chrome or Firefox.

I've just run Kodi 17 for the first time and done a few tweaks and have to say at first glance, the new look and feel (skin) is very impressive. It's running in a virtual machine (Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bit) and still pretty snappy. I may have a go now and install in my test-bed standalone machine .... after I've removed 360 Total Security of course :-)

Cheers... thanks for all your help.
Just use avast free
(2016-03-15, 05:08)Derek Wrote: [ -> ]Just use avast free

Thanks for that.... see above when I say that I removed 360 Total Security and installed Avast :-)

Have used Kodi 17 quite a bit now and am really liking the new look and feel of it. Main thing I'm finding difficult though is navigating my way to the usual places with regards setup and installation... but that's to be expected I guess given how very different the layout is anyway.

I'm also noticing that Kodi 17 ... certainly the build I've been using seems really fast and responsive, even when used in a virtual machine. Things are looking good :-)

Cheers!
Glad it worked out for you :-)
Just popping in to second the '360 total security' assesment.
I too deal with pc's / networks that have suffered (the results of) infections and i can tell you there are some horrible programs out there that should make you feel safe, but in fact they provide a false sense of security.
The total360 thing definately falls in this category in my book. Along with Mcafee btw. Both showed their 'value' once replaced with a descent alternative.

Short story: stay with avast instead of the one you were using ;-). Keep in mind that some packages will still be flagged for using a certain packaging method etc..
Another Free solution you might want to try is Bitdefender......but do not forget to sign up for an account.....as the free edition need that or else it will complain.......I like bitdefender because it do not nag much on false possitive stuff....plus it have an easy way to restore and set a file as ok.
Smile
Hi Guy's... thanks for all the great input with regards antivirus stuff... all good info.

I actually used to use Avast for some years before switching to '360 Total Security' a little while back (think I read a review or something about it and it sounded like it might be ok). Other than the daily builds of Kodi 17 being flagged up as a Trojan, I'd not noticed anything that raised suspicions, but it's good to be safe so Avast it is again :-)

I've now installed Kodi 17 on a test-bed system (as apposed to in a VM) and have to say it's nice and nippy and responsive. I'm still trying to get used to where all the settings and other installation stuff is but getting there slowly. Kodi is a great platform and the more I use it, the more I'm impressed by it and it's amazing that it seems to work on just about every platform and O/S you can name.

I first loaded it on to an Amazon Fire TV Stick (android box :-) ) last year. Had to grab the Android developer kit at the time and push it across from my Laptop then, but now you can just download the .APK file (I usually use 'ES File Explore'r on the Fire Stick) from the main site and install it directly.

Kodi on the likes of the Amazon TV devices really takes them to a whole new level. My pal also bought an android box (cant remember which version now) recently and it was a doddle to put Kodi on that.... all clever stuff.

Thanks again
(2016-03-13, 17:07)BatterPudding Wrote: [ -> ]Glad I could help. You are also right about anti-virus being a personal choice. We all have our favourite brands.

Trouble is I am in a oddly unusual situation where the day job means fixing infected PCs. So any infected PC I get which has some brand of anti-virus installed but failing to protect the PC properly gets marked down by me. I also have never been a fan over over bloated packages like McAfee. (Though I could probably sit here and slag off most of the major brands... nothing is perfect)

I never like using the "W Word", but even Wikipedia is bashing 360's dubious trading practices. Big Grin

The best anti-virus is common sense though. And keep virustotal.com bookmarked as it is ideal for double checking problems like this.

Just curious if you were to recommend a free AV, which do you like ? Wink
Pages: 1 2