Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Any Way To Use Subwoofer When Playing MP3s Through SPDIF?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Apparently, I haven't played MP3s since switching from HDMI to SPDIF.
I just realized that my subwoofer wasn't being used, when playing them.
It's on, when watching movies (pass-through).
Looking through the Kodi documentation, it seems that SPDIF only supports 2.0 if not using pass-through.
Is there a way to make Kodi send 2.1 through SPDIF, so that MP3s work the sub?
JJ
Hehehe...
Apparently, I can just tell it to upmix stereo and it will use pass-through.
Let me know, if there's a way to not turn it into surround.
JJ
(2016-03-14, 00:43)doubleJ Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a way to make Kodi send 2.1 through SPDIF, so that MP3s work the sub?

Not quite sure you understand where that .1 comes from.. it is actually a channel of audio that is mixed by the sound engineer. MP3s do not contain that additional channel.

Unless the audio is in surround sound (like most concert DVD & Blurays) there is no sub-woofer channel to send in music files.

What you are looking for is something that can make a fake LFE channel - i.e. a filter that pulls out all the low end and places it on an additional channel - in theory a DPS plugin could be written for KODI to do that.

Most surround amps have similar filters / modes / scenes specifically for playing music that does exactly that - usual that's the best bet to get the sub working while playing music.