Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How do you make Kodi show "fullscreen" on all videos?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How do you make Kodi show "fullscreen" on all videos? For example, some videos have black bars on top and bottom. When I change to zoom, I have to manually zoom in (1.33) to make the black bars go away. But, if I set this as the "default for all videos" then some videos that are already 16:9, are zoomed in too much since they don't have any black bars.

Is there a way to make Kodi zoom in on videos that need to be zoomed in and to make Kodi automatically know how much to zoom in, in order to remove the black bars?
This issue is a challenge for any display device, not only Kodi.
How would the device truly know what the source was shot at, especially for the variety of formats that movies offer?
Whist 4:3 in 16:9 issues are easily corrected with basic zooming techniques, in general, the solution has remained elusive, even for TV manufacturers.
I am not aware of any adaptive format , nor the feasibility of such, that could detect presence of so called black bars/letterbox effect in relation to the viewing device and based on the viewer's preference.
In the on-screen video controls, choose the view mode for "zoomed". Then select "apply for all videos".
(2016-03-14, 06:29)Ned Scott Wrote: [ -> ]In the on-screen video controls, choose the view mode for "zoomed". Then select "apply for all videos".

Ned, As OP stipulated, that was tried but it became unsatisfactory.
This is different. The mode itself is called "zoom" but does not use the zoom slider. The view mode of zoom will always crop black bars, unless the black bars are encoded into the video file itself.

See: http://kodi.wiki/view/Video_playback#OSD_video_settings under "view mode"
"This is different. The mode itself is called "zoom" but does not use the zoom slider."
Cool, good to know.

"unless the black bars are encoded into the video file itself"
Would that apply for most movies Ned?
I don't know about most movies, but all of my movies have black bars cropped out when I encode them.

Kodi did once have a feature to detect in-video black bars and crop them, but this feature was removed because it was only supported for software video decoding.
Thanks.
Will give it a go.
Thanks Ned! Will try it.