Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to prevent Kodi from generating thumbnails?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've just installed Kodi on a Raspberry Pi v3 (running Raspbian Jessie), but I'm assuming this issue is platform independent.

I have a directory tree of mp3 files in ARTIST/ALBUM/01 track.mp3 format, on a NAS server, and I noticed that after adding the top level music folder, Kodi started writing .jpeg thumbnail images to the various directories. Is there a way to stop that happening?

I can't see anything obvious in the Kodi menus, and having looked at the advancedsettings.xml page at kodi.wiki nothing stands out. I guess I could just write protect the directory tree after adding new content, but that seems like a crude solution.
Kodi won't write anything to your media locations, at least not automatically. It should only be possible if you specifically tell it to export the music library, or if you use an artwork downloading type add-on.
Ned - many thanks. I think I'd managed to confuse myself by setting up a Pi with Kodi and a new NAS server at the same time.

I added a couple of new albums to the NAS (just by copying across as a CIFS share, from a Windows PC), and lo and behold a few hours later those albums had gained thumbnails. At no point was the Pi or Kodi running.

Turns out there's some service on the NAS that helpfully goes round and excretes thumbnails in your directories, at least, that's the evidence indicated by this: http://www.amazon.com/automatically-unso...B00ARB5FPM

I haven't had time to look at the NAS since I found that link, but I did notice that it hasn't recreated the thumbs I'd deleted - so perhaps there's a scheduled service on the NAS that adds the thumbs only to newly added files. In any event - it's not Kodi's fault, so case closed (and thanks again).