Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: RK8 Box, Kodi 16 upgrade fail
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Newbee here. Got my RK8 box yesterday, lit it up. Seems to work ok. It came with Kodi 15.2. Wanted to upgrade to Kodi 16.

Using google play store, downloaded KODI 16, updated failed with message 'app not installed'. Tried going to directly to KODI.tv/downloads and downloaded Andriod ARM. Attempted to use the installer. Failed, with the exact same message.

BTW, I searched the forums and read the FAQ's and found no help.

Thanks in advance.
(2016-03-18, 16:07)dtebh916 Wrote: [ -> ]Newbee here. Got my RK8 box yesterday, lit it up. Seems to work ok. It came with Kodi 15.2. Wanted to upgrade to Kodi 16.

Using google play store, downloaded KODI 16, updated failed with message 'app not installed'. Tried going to directly to KODI.tv/downloads and downloaded Andriod ARM. Attempted to use the installer. Failed, with the exact same message.

Thanks in advance.

You can't install another Kodi if the previous one is not uninstalled.
You should use RK Kodi 15.2 included as it has more features like 3D MVC & pass-through support which the Google Play Store version doesn't have for your device.
If you have a Zidoo X6 or HPH NT-V8 RK3368 device, their firmware supports RK Kodi 16(rebranded).
Yours won't support it as your box comes from a no-name manufacturer that doesn't release firmware updates.
Wow. Seems I have stumbled squarely into the middle of a controversy. I had previously asked the RK8 supplier if the KODI 15 was upgradeable to KODI 16, and was assured it was. I compared the andriod boxes and chose this one, not being a developer or guru, I saw no reason to avoid this one.
Those kind of boxes commonly have a "messed about with" (to put it politely) version of Kodi, either hacked about to make up for firmware shortcomings or to add stuff that we probably wouldn't approve of. As part of this they get a different app ID, hence the Play Store sees it as a different app to the "genuine" vanilla version and won't allow you to update that way.

Thus unless the makers produce a similar "tweaked" version when new releases appear, you're either stuck on the older one or need to remove it and go for the new vanilla one, at the risk of exposing the holes in the firmware and some or all of the box features (or indeed the whole thing) not working.

Hence why we "love" these boxes so much, even leaving aside the banned add-ons (wiki) that many of them come "fully loaded" with in violation of our Official:Trademark Policy (wiki) (not that this applies here, at least I hope not).
Welcome to the club dtebh916 Sad
Try to install the x86 version. ARM might not be the right version

Cheers!
(2016-03-18, 16:07)dtebh916 Wrote: [ -> ]Newbee here. Got my RK8 box yesterday, lit it up. Seems to work ok. It came with Kodi 15.2. Wanted to upgrade to Kodi 16.

Thanks in advance.

Hello dtebh916
I have a RK8 too. And mine is having firmware issue. Could you please make a backup image of your RK8 and send it to me ?
I hope someone can help
Many thanks to you
Seriously guys if you can, send these Rockchip devices back to their maker, custom versions of Kodi on unsupported Hardware will get you nowhere and will be a nightmare for you going forward into the future.
Or we will drop Kodi, because all other software have not problems. I tested bunch of video players, YouTube, Netflix, MXPlayer, all ok. The only unsupported app is Kodi. BTW, if you don't need passthrough (for example, not needed for simple audio via hdmi), there is no need to use custom RK kodi build. Vanilla version from playstore works very well, except +0.25 audio delay (can be corrected with audio settings) and some 4k movies not smooth.

Actually, RK codec used in custom builds is a crap, it even does not allow to set aspect ratio for video.All video settings are not available: zoom, aspect ratio, etc all missing.
nobody is forcing you to use kodi.
(2016-03-21, 09:47)giaur Wrote: [ -> ]Actually, RK codec used in custom builds is a crap, it even does not allow to set aspect ratio for video.All video settings are not available: zoom, aspect ratio, etc all missing.

That's why we don't add their codec Smile

RK should start following official Android API and die out.