Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Why is it that some TV shows will not show up or be recognized by Kodi?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have a folder on my server called shows. I have a handful of TV shows in there. Several of them show up, but a handful of them refused to. Two examples are Mr Robot, and the IT Crowd. It seems like the naming conventions are logical 4 seasons and episodes, how do I tell if the problem is due to naming convention or due to the database not having the serious? If the database doesn't have the series, how would I add mine so that they will show up?
Check your naming, all seasons of Both shows are on The TVDB
Links
Mr Robot
The IT Crowd
make sure Mr. Robot is in a properly named folder (call it mr.robot) and then name the files correctly. For example name the first episode

mr.robot.S01E01.hellofriend.mkv

see if that works
Debug log (wiki)
That worked. I wish that for obscure shows at the TV database doesn't know about if it cannot find a show to match a folder in the files in it that it would at least just display the files so that they could be selected.
We haven't dealt with any obscure shows in this thread yet...

The trouble with introducing user interaction, it ruins automated scanning.
It would be nice if there was a way to train the TV database by a person being able to just tell Plex that a folder belongs to a certain show. In other words if the files are named after the names of the episodes, the user being able to tell kodi what the show was it could individually match the episodes up to the show on the TV database
we're not discussing Plex here, we're discussing Kodi here, and more specific the Android build, where your issue is not Android-specific and should be moved
(2016-03-28, 15:37)etyrnal Wrote: [ -> ]It would be nice if there was a way to train the TV database by a person being able to just tell Plex that a folder belongs to a certain show. In other words if the files are named after the names of the episodes, the user being able to tell Plex what the show was it could individually match the episodes up to the show on the TV database

How is that different than changing the structure where you store the file to match what's on the TV DB. Seems like a lot of complicated UI and DB work for something that you can already do outside of Kodi for zero gain.

EDIT: Furthermore, you can jsut go outside of the TV shows and go to Videos-Files to see all the files. The ones that are scrapped will still give you details and you then leverage your own structure.
Oh yes now I remember why we invented computers, so that you can do everything manually instead of developing computers to the point where they can do everything automatically.

Sent from my XT1058
Etyrnal, it will work automatically if you use a viable naming scheme (wiki link) . Computers are sophisticated idiots, If you cannot give them the required criteria, they will not do the function.

If you are still having problems, just use Sickbeard/Sonarr to manage your database automatically, and just update inside of Kodi
(2016-04-29, 21:10)etyrnal Wrote: [ -> ]Oh yes now I remember why we invented computers, so that you can do everything manually instead of developing computers to the point where they can do everything automatically.

Rome wasn't built in a day. There has been work on new scraper logic, but the smarter you try to make something, the harder it is to do that initial work. While users might see computers as something that does everything "automatically", it's the programmer who has to manually make code for that "magic" to happen in the first place. Then remember that the Kodi project is made up mostly of volunteers who do this in their free time. Plex developers, on the other hand, get paid and can work on these things full time.

If you are unsatisfied by the current limitations of Kodi, then don't use Kodi. If it was as easy as flipping a switch, then it would have been done years ago.
One must also remember GIGO, one of the oldest axioms in computing, and yeah I have been involved in computing since my secondary school was the only one in the country with a computer.

GIGO simply means Garbage in, Garbage out.

So just name (or get an automated program like filebot to name) your files properly.
And then you start working with computers and management, when GIGO starts to mean "garbage in, gospel out" and "computer says no".
New user to Kodi here! My wife thinks I am a genius learning this, to which I told her I am a drop in the pool of people who are smarter than me, and those who developed Kodi. I just ran across this thread when I saw some of my TV Series showed up under TV Show with the correct meta information, while others did not. Thought it was Kodi until I found this discussion. I had named a few shows by their name followed by season and episode, each in their own folder. Like Zane Grey Theater S1E01. The TVDB pulled in the descriptions perfectly. Yet another show with the same syntax, but only one season, it was never even seen by the TVDB.

I went to the TVDB database and to be honest, wasn't sure what I was doing wrong except maybe leaving the title out of each episode. I don't see on the TVDB site or the link above on syntax, why the other series was not showing up. I did discover FileBot and ran it against the series and they showed up! The format was different than what worked with Zane Grey Theater. Like Series Name - 1x30 - Desperate Minutes. From the naming scheme link above, I am curious how to figure out the correct syntax. It seemed what I was doing with Zane Grey was proper acceptable syntax. I don't mine using FileBot, but my 'genius' side of me would like to understand why one showed up, one didn't even though the syntax format was the same originally. Only when FileBot renamed the second series in the different format did it show up.

Thank you. On a side note. I've spent hours trying to get the short Three Stooges files to show up with descriptions but not in the movies folder along with the rest of my movies. They made about 100 short films, too many to have combined with my feature length recordings. Seems I can get them as favorites, but then I get no metadata on them.
Pages: 1 2 3