Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi fails to pick up YEAR
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,
I have struggled to make a decision on how to register Album Year in my library. It turns out that the Date field in ID3v2.3 is handled differently by most mp3 managers and libraries around. And without any predictable behavior, it becomes meaningless to even populate this field.
I discovered that MediaMonkey, which used to be my preferred library Manager (LM) for a long time, deals with its interpretation by storing YEAR twice in the tag. Mp3Tag is confused by this, and it display to different tags with the same name (YEAR) and bulk managament of these two does not work so you have to clean it out one by one.
If I load the same library into Foobar2000, i.e. the YEAR 2005 shows up in the 'Date' field as 0000-05-20 which definitely is incorrect, and in the YEAR field it reads 2005;2005 (twice).
Then I read somewhere on the net that the Date field of v3.2 had been discontinued in v2.4 of the ID3 standard.
All of this lead me to drop the use of the Date field and instead use a single YEAR field.

However, Kodi fails to pick up this info when scanning local MP3 tags, and consequently it is no longer possible to sort or search for YEAR.
Plex however, deals just fine with this.
Is there anyway to remap this in order to make Kodi understand and respect my choices?

(Or do I need to start all over again and use a different solution?)
For mp3 files Kodi reads year from correctly formated TYER (v2.3), TDRC or TDRL (v2.4) tags. Admittedly if you have both TDRC ('Recording time' frame contains a timestamp describing when the audio was recorded.) and TDRL ('Release time' frame contains a timestamp describing when the audio was first released) tags then Kodi gets year from the last one it finds.

It is very easy to enter a year using Mp3tag which encodes correctly in the tag, I have no experience with the other software you mention.
Meny thanks for your reply.
In order to fully comprehend what you write, I need to understand the correlation between these TYER/TDRC/TDRL etc, etc and the human readable field names like Date, Year and so on.
Do you have a link to a place where this is explained?
(2016-03-20, 16:03)oyvindo Wrote: [ -> ]I need to understand the correlation between these TYER/TDRC/TDRL etc, etc and the human readable field names like Date, Year and so on.

That also will depend on the tagging software you use. Read their support/user guide. With Mp3tag just put year in the year drop down.
(2016-03-20, 12:58)DaveBlake Wrote: [ -> ]For mp3 files Kodi reads year from correctly formated TYER (v2.3), TDRC or TDRL (v2.4) tags. Admittedly if you have both TDRC ('Recording time' frame contains a timestamp describing when the audio was recorded.) and TDRL ('Release time' frame contains a timestamp describing when the audio was first released) tags then Kodi gets year from the last one it finds
Thanks for the reply @DaveBlake. Would you by any chance happen to know where I can find documentation about the exact correlation between the on-screen field names used in Kodi, and the corresponding 4-letter ID3 field behind each one? (Date and Year is only part of my struggle to figure out exactly how Kodi retrieves its information).
Many thanks in advance.