Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Solved/Howto] OpenELEC - "size check failed" error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Seems like it's my night for this...

Sooo, I went off to update my loyal-but-ageing ION systems with the new OE 7 Jarvis beta.

An initial observation: there is no longer a separate Nvidia_legacy build - it's been reincorporated back into Generic. Thanks to Millhouse and his thread for actually mentioning that (build 1220, if you're interested), as it isn't clear anywhere else. I thought I had an emergency Prime order of a NUC or Shield coming on, along with a candle-lit burial service for my trusty Revos...

Anyway, I tried from within OpenELEC, but no luck with an automatic check - I presume the servers are busy, so I downloaded the tarfile and tried to update over SMB. Each time, the machine would reboot, the MD5 checks would pass, and then I'd get a "size check error" before the system rebooted back to Isengard/OE 6.

File size? Corrupt download? Check all the hashes, check the sizes of KERNEL and SYSTEM... nope, all good. Bad packaging? Google a bit...

Okay, it's because these systems are ancient. OE installs to a /flash partition, and this had been set up (years ago now) to be 160MB or so - which is too small to accept the new Generic image with all the trimmings. I had plenty of spare disc space - all media is on a NAS, naturally - but that was all in /storage.

Options?

1. Cry gently
2. Backup, burn a new bootable image, re-install, restore
3. Resize the partitions

I'm hardcore, so I went for (3). I have my pride.

Tuxboot is the easiest way to create a quick bootable USB stick with gparted on it. I did consider using parted within the OE environment, but that just seemed masochistic.

Anyway, I booted from the resultant USB stick and, after a bit of flapping around, I simply decided to borrow a gig from /storage (sda2 for me) and move it to /flash (sda1). I could tell which is which by the sizes, although df -h from an ssh prompt would also confirm this.

My partitions were laid out as:

sda1
sda2
littlebitoffreespace

... so I was careful to keep this: shrinking sda2 defaults to putting the spare space *after* the partition, so I made sure it was *before* instead - otherwise there's no room into which sda1 can grow. Do this, then resize sda1 by the same amount as the shrink, apply the changes... and reboot.

And that's it. I now have 1.2GB /flash partitions, which should see me through most of eternity - or certainly the lifetime of these little boxes.

Over to anyone else who has that same sinking feeling, accompanied only by the laser-like glowering of spouse and/or children as you seem to have broken the TV...
Just FYI - the built-in openelec updater doesn't update between versions, only within them.

I have a couple of revos - dual boot windows/ openelec. I boot openelec from an sd card, but have the storage partition (several of 'em actually) on the hard drive. That probably gives me a slightly slower boot, but given that's once a month (if that) it's not an issue. It certainly takes the pain out of re-sizing partitions.
Thanks, trogggy. I went SSD on mine - to try to squeeze as much performance out of them as possible. It wasn't hard to re-partition (well, gparted without a mouse was a nuisance, but...) - it was more that I wasn't expecting to have to do it. But it only took a few minutes per box once I'd figured it all out.

I fear the end of inclusion of the Nvidia driver. Yes, they're old, and yes, they'll need replacing - but they've been marvellous workhorses for very many years now.
Thank you, I had the problem to update from Openelec 6.95 to Openelec 7.0.
I chose option 3.
Is somewhere .ISO version with openelec 7.0.0 ? I don't work with .IMG. Is there some convereter from .IMG to .ISO, but it isn't some format.
Thanks for a help.
Thanks a lot, you saved me a load of trouble. My x86 HTPC had tried to do an update to Openelec 7.0 but failed and I then kept on getting 'size check' errors and notifications that an update was available! To rub salt in, my IR remote then stopped working with KODI. I was resigned to doing a fresh install, so backed up my KODI config (there's a good add-on available to do this for you) but thought I'd try the resize using the Parted USB boot. I moved a GB from
SDA2 to SDA1, to make it 1.25Gb. I rebooted and the OE 7.0 update installed and my IR remote worked again as normal. Result!
thank you so much!

the trick was also useful for me.
Thanks a lot ! Worked for me as well.
Thumbs up to this. Worked a charm getting my old 6.0.3 version off (trakt 3.0.7 had finally packed up a few weeks ago).
On my old Atom ION board, 7.0.1 works fine. No need to stick with that legacy build.
Helll,
I've a Dual Boot with openelec 6.9.53 and windows 10 and now I got. this error by updating to 7.0.1.
What is the best way for changing the Partition? Maybe I reduce in Windows 10 my partition and then with gparted the Boot? I don't want to loose my windows!
Thx for your help
Hi:

I+m having problem to update to openelec 7.0.1. Every time the system reboots I get the message "size check failed".
Reading this article its seems this happens for partition reasons?
Using "df" I can see:
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
devtmpfs 950208 202248 747960 21% /dev
/dev/sda1 235883 214757 17030 93% /flash
/dev/sda2 15000968 363052 14621532 2% /storage
/dev/loop0 202368 202368 0 100% /
tmpfs 953516 0 953516 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 953516 6140 947376 1% /run
tmpfs 953516 0 953516 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs 953516 4 953512 0% /tmp
tmpfs 953516 252 953264 0% /var

Is in fact the problem I'm having ? Can someone help how to solve this? Is there any tutorial available, since I don't know how to do this?. I'm using an Asus with openelec.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
I'm using Tuxboot to create a bootable usb disk for the Asus running openelec. The process goes till the end but when I insert these disk on my Asus it says no bootable disk!!!!

Can someone give me a clue?
hi im pretty much a noobie and not very tech savy

im trying to upgrade openelec ive read the comments and steps that have worked for others with my issue, but i am not familiar on how to repart or move memory from storage to flash. i was wondering if there is a video out there on how to do this so i can upgrade openelec to my box.

ive read that if you mess up in the bios you can ruin everything so im hesitate on upgrading at the moment. hopefully i can get some help with this issue.

thanks again.