Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Hauppauge 1200 not recognised
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Excuse this newbie but I have an HP Pavilion computer that came with Win7 Media Centre and Hauppauge 1200 card and all worked just fine.

I updated to Win10 and all works fine except that now I have installed Kodi it does not recognise the Hauppauge card which is displayed as working in Device Manager.

I have looked in settings but there is no sign of any TV card.

Is Kodi suitable for this application?

If so any advice for debugging?

Many thanks
Kodi provides a user interface (front-end) for seeing program guides, live TV, making recordings and watching those recordings. But it doesn't provide software for interfacing directly with tuner cards (back-end). That's because there are good back-ends out there and it would be difficult and costly for the Kodi volunteer developers to incorporate that capability direct in Kodi.

So, you'll need to find suitable back-end software. FWIW, I use DVBLogic's DVBLink. It's not free, but it's not expensive either. There is a free trial version so you can check it out. It should work fine with your Hauppauge tuner.

The other piece of the jigsaw is a (free) PVR add-on. You'll need to use one to interface your chosen back-end with Kodi. The PVR add-on I use is the DVBLink PVR client.

Andy
Thanks very much. ~That works well and proves the Win10 combination works, but its quite costly.

I have ordered the Hauppauge CDROM which they say will work and is cheaper than the DVBLink.
Just to save you from any dissapointment - afaik the wintv backend will not work with kodi (the wintv software is what you are getting on cd)
I personally recommend DVBViewer - amazing piece of software! for just 15€ it will be officially yours. They have a great community and with the dvbrecorderplugin it works great with kodi - just amazing.
If you are however looking for a complete free version of a backend (that will also work with kodi) check out mediaportal (you can of course install mediaportal entirely but you'll need only the tv backend - btw mediaportal is just like kodi, just a bit more frustrating Big Grin)
NextPVR (www.nextpvr.com) may be worth a look too (works for me). It's free (though, like Kodi, they welcome donations!).
One other wrinkle to think about is where you are going to get the program schedule info from. The best integrated one for NextPVR is SchedulesDirect - but it's $25/year.
Good point, but if the program guide information is provided with the television signal (as it is with Freeview and Freesat in the UK), the back-end software should be able to extract it automatically and pass it through the PVR add-on to Kodi. DVBLink can certainly do that - as can the other products mentioned in this thread. I understand that some countries/networks provide better over the air program data than others, so a third party source might be needed. But it's worth checking out any free offerings first.
(2016-03-25, 17:06)blaal02 Wrote: [ -> ]NextPVR (www.nextpvr.com) may be worth a look too (works for me). It's free (though, like Kodi, they welcome donations!).
One other wrinkle to think about is where you are going to get the program schedule info from. The best integrated one for NextPVR is SchedulesDirect - but it's $25/year.

WebGrab+plus works with NextPVR and is free Big Grin
A possibility is to get WMC running on Win 10 and then use the pvr.wmc add-on to get channels, epg, timers, and recordings from WMC. There's a thread in the pvr.wmc forum on how to go about getting wmc to work. I've stuck with Win 8 on my HTPC system just to keep WMC running, as long as it works and MS still provides EPG (they did switch providers a ways back which was very painful). I've run NextPVR in the past but never subbed to the schedules direct. If that WebGuide+ works that might be a way to go.

scott s.