Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Wake on Access via Wan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

Iv'e just started playing around with accessing my library remotely for when i'm on the go.

I'm using MYSQL for the library and FTPS to access the files, which is now working well remotely. However I can only wake my PC up by using a Wake on Lan Command. The Wake on Access feature appears not to work outside of the local network despite trying to tinker with the hostname and port etc.

Just wondering if anyone has successfully managed to get this to work? It seems the only workaround i have at this stage is to send a Wake on Lan command with the device and setup continuous wake on lan packets from within kodi once its loaded, to keep the pc from going to sleep which im accessing it remotely and not streaming any files/browsing.

Thanks in advance,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN

read and understand 'Subnet directed broadcasts'
As far as I can understand, that does not solve the issue, the pc is set up with static ARP so the router always knows where to forward the wake on lan request and it always works when I initiate a command from a widget to wake on lan from my phone as well as internally in the network.

What I dont understand, is how the 'wake remote servers on access' feature actually works, because it only works from inside the network.

from the log...

A failed attempt using the external ip and relevant forwarded port results in:

12:20:55 T:14156 NOTICE: WakeOnAccess [external ip address] trigged by accessing : MySQL : MyMusic60
12:21:00 T:14156 WARNING: WakeOnAccess failed to bring up [external ip address] - there may be trouble ahead !

a successful attempt with advanced settings set to local ip and wakeonlan.xml also with local IP is

12:42:09 T:12560 NOTICE: WakeOnAccess [192.168.x.x] trigged by accessing : MySQL : MyMusic60
12:42:24 T:12560 NOTICE: WakeOnAccess sequence completed, server started

However if i manually wake the PC i can connect to it remotely via the port and using the external IP address in the advancedsettings.xml mysql section.

Which is why I am trying to understand how the wake on lan feature actually works in Kodi because when its loaded up the wake on lan command works as advertised from within kodi, however "while" it is loading up and trying to wake the remote server it only works from within the local network, with local IP's used.

I guess I will just be doing what I am doing... just was hoping someone would know a better way.

Thanks anyway