Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Strange, I have much better pictures with my Q10 Pro then I have with my old PlayOn!
In fact de HiMedia is the best player I have had, perfect image and sound quality!
does the HiMedia hardware handle stereo and multi-channel FLAC in 88.2/24 bit? i have several FLAC files in this format
(2016-08-24, 03:13)TheShoe Wrote: [ -> ]does the HiMedia hardware handle stereo and multi-channel FLAC in 88.2/24 bit? i have several FLAC files in this format
Yes. Also 5.1 192KHz FLAC files from Pure Audio Blu-ray (and will bitstream Pure Audio .iso files perfectly).
FLAC rips from SACD are no problems (which would be the source of most 88.2KHz files?).

SACD .iso can also be played using an Android app. Hiby Music.
(2016-08-24, 03:13)TheShoe Wrote: [ -> ]does the HiMedia hardware handle stereo and multi-channel FLAC in 88.2/24 bit? i have several FLAC files in this format

As already said, yes that plays the Q10/Q5 Pro all neatly.
"BigPines Wrote:
One thing I should point out is that the external player is always processing the image even after disabling Imprex. I found that both whites and blacks are crushed even with Imprex off and image settings set to standard. So unfortunately, there is no true pass-through available on the device as it is always altering the image. I reported this problem to Himedia during the pre-production testing and I have confirmed the problem exists on the production hardware as well. The work-around I found was to turn off all Imprex options and set Brightness to 66 and Contrast to 43. This eliminates crushing on both blacks and whites. I used a test pattern from Digital Video Essentials to confirm this."

Is this still a matther? Got a sony vpl hw65 and its calibrated so it would be very bad if the box manipulates the image still on actuall firmware ?
(2016-08-28, 03:45)M3lloW Wrote: [ -> ]"BigPines Wrote:
One thing I should point out is that the external player is always processing the image even after disabling Imprex. I found that both whites and blacks are crushed even with Imprex off and image settings set to standard. So unfortunately, there is no true pass-through available on the device as it is always altering the image. I reported this problem to Himedia during the pre-production testing and I have confirmed the problem exists on the production hardware as well. The work-around I found was to turn off all Imprex options and set Brightness to 66 and Contrast to 43. This eliminates crushing on both blacks and whites. I used a test pattern from Digital Video Essentials to confirm this."

Is this still a matther? Got a sony vpl hw65 and its calibrated so it would be very bad if the box manipulates the image still on actuall firmware ?

The himedia is allways manipulating the image, there no source direct function..the workaround/tip is in your quote.

From my findings the only media player able to streaming/usb files with source direct its the Oppo 93/95 or 103/105.

And more interesting is the manufacturer ( steaming/usb/disk ) implementation regarding the PQ.
After calibrate my PJ the PQ from the original disk is superior than using the streaming/usb protocol, i carefull compare the original disk with the MKV rip.

I also confirm that the internal sata port in mede8er player would give me a superior PQ to USB.
The diferences are not immediatly evident and are easly missed by the average or in small screens.

My oppo 103D (apart from the jukebox) still is the best usb movie player on the market... High PQ doesnt came cheap.
Yep but how i said my hw65 is calibrated that it will deliver the best and got the reality creation 2 , so i neither need an oppo with darbee or the q10 to manipulate the picture and fuck up the calibration with that :/ its not only sharpness.... its contrast , colors ofc ect pp...

I already thought about the oppo but i rather wait for the new 4k native players generation.

Il try that workaround as soon as my 5tb device for the q10 will arrive.

Screen is over 3m diagonal
But did someone test that out? The post with that workaround is several months old and there are lot new updates till now, nothing changed there for sure? They could for example tweaked the imprex and the numbers from the workaround could be wrong now
There isnt media players in the market with source direct (except the oppo).

You should have waited and calibrate the source + pj.
Learn how to calibrate its your best option 300$ for software + colimeter i1 display pro
Hm ok. I wanted to change from my htpc to the q10 to improve pq cs graphic cards and os always do something to the picture. Guess i wasted money now with the q10 if its doin the same Sad
Dear Users,

After much consideration decided to go for this device (other one I was considering was Nvidia Shield), considering there is no way I can build an updated HTPC (AMD/Intel based) for the 4K @60 with 10bit-HEVC HDR, at least for now. Seems to be a good temporary option, considering the fact of good support of this device - updated firmwares and active community.

I have got myself Samsung UE55KS8000 for the 4K content. Question being, if someone here is already on Samsung KS Series, or last years JS series, what options/settings are you using to setup this device correctly, as of latest 1.0.7 firmware? Unfortunately my current Sony STR-DN1050 is no go for HDR content (absence of 2.0a, unless Optical only) but that is another story - once more HDR content is there shall go for something new.
I can confirm that the Q10 Pro even with the latest 1.0.7 firmware ((late august 2016)) is manipulating the picture.
Crushing my blacks, giving less pop to colors, more color banding. As mentioned, Q10 needs to boost up the brightness settings and reduce on contrast. But not as much as brightness 66 and contrast 43 on my system.
I need brightness to about 55, to reveal details in the dark, but the overall picture then gets a bit washed out and flat.

When comparing the Q10 Pro side by side to my very old Ryan PlayON MiniHD, the Q10 har a pretty "poor" picture quality.
So bad that I'm considering selling the Q10 as it was a big let down on my high end system.
(2016-08-28, 10:50)trykkertor Wrote: [ -> ]When comparing the Q10 Pro side by side to my very old Ryan PlayON MiniHD, the Q10 har a pretty "poor" picture quality.
Strangely, I have not bothered, to me it's just much better picture than the old Playon!
I'm more then happy with my Q10 Pro!
Hey guys, for any of you using projectors, can you please check if you have the left edge issue (white/rough line) w/3D ISO's. Here's what it looks like w/my Q5 Pro and Q10 Pro (short video demo). View it in full screen mode.
(2016-08-28, 19:40)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guys, for any of you using projectors, can you please check if you have the left edge issue (white/rough line) w/3D ISO's. Here's what it looks like w/my Q5 Pro and Q10 Pro (short video demo). View it in full screen mode.

Hi hdmkv - has the rough edge been fixed on all other types just leaving 3d iso?