Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2016-08-28, 23:57)priesh Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-28, 19:40)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guys, for any of you using projectors, can you please check if you have the left edge issue (white/rough line) w/3D ISO's. Here's what it looks like w/my Q5 Pro and Q10 Pro (short video demo). View it in full screen mode.

Hi hdmkv - has the rough edge been fixed on all other types just leaving 3d iso?

Has only affected 3D ISO's since pre-release days I believe.
Hello all,

I'm new here and I'm in the doubt of to buy or not to buy a Q10 Pro... My main concern is it seems that the Imprex ON/OFF modes do not work as should, that is, according to comments in this forum and Futeko.com, Q10 Pro is always manipulating the image. This is a severe issue for me because I'd like to have a natural image and only an enhanced image when desired. An user from Futeko.com has quoted in a thread the BigPines' post, including the workaround for this issue. Futeko administrator told that this issue might not be a bug, but a conflict between HDR and colorspaces.

This was the reply from Futeko:
Quote:There are a large number of Q5/Q10 Pro with customers and this problem has not been widely reported. My personal opinion is that it's probably caused by something other than an inability to disable imprex. The lack of documentation surrounding HDR and colorspace modes makes diagnosing a marginal problem like perceived crushed blacks very difficult. As Nice Monkey says, it could be something to do with a choice of suboptimal colorspace for this person's hardware.

The lack of documentation is something we have repeatedly requested that HiMedia resolve. Unfortunately the total lack of detailed documentation has become the standard situation for Chinese media players. It's an area in which HiMedia could further elevate themselves above the rest.

HiMedia are doing constant work on Imprex and PQ in Q5/Q10 Pro but this specific problem needs more user reports and to be reproducible before it can be considered a 'bug'.

What do you think about this? Is it really a conflict or a bug in firmware? Could this be solved in the future?

Original discussion is HERE.

Thanks in advance.
@hdmkv, did you test this?
And the workaround?

Is it true?

I want an unprocced picture too, no manipulation please
HiMedia has never had a way to disable Imprex video processing, going back to previous gens. Only level of its application. Imprex, like with Darbee Darblet, VXP, etc., has been one of HiSilicon's SoC's key selling points, as applied moderately, improves PQ w/o unwanted artifacts like edge enhancement or an overly 'digital' looking picture.

If you want a completely unprocessed picture w/zero manipulation, HiMedia would have to add this functionality. For now, Imprex is applied to the native player, Kodi and whatever else video app you use.
@hdmkv: Then, there is no solution to achieve a natural image? Are the settings provided by BigPines valid for all configurations?

If you don't mind, could you report this in the Futeko forum as a bug? You have enough reputation to consider this issue seriously. Futeko admin. thinks this is a HDR<->colorspaces conflict, not (directly) related with Imprex. If anyone convinces him of this is a bug, I'm pretty sure he will report it to HiMedia. But if this is an intended behaviour by HiMedia, I think this is a bad decision, because they should know that many people don't buy this model for the Imprex Engine and what they want is to have a natural image of high quality. The worst part is HiMedia is lying to their users, because if they include an option to disable Imprex, it should work as expected.

Thanks again.
(2016-08-28, 12:25)HereIsTom Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-28, 10:50)trykkertor Wrote: [ -> ]When comparing the Q10 Pro side by side to my very old Ryan PlayON MiniHD, the Q10 har a pretty "poor" picture quality.
Strangely, I have not bothered, to me it's just much better picture than the old Playon!
I'm more then happy with my Q10 Pro!

Then either A, you had a really crappy image on your PlayOn, or B, I have a faulty Q10 Pro.
(2016-08-30, 16:43)boblo Wrote: [ -> ]@hdmkv: Then, there is no solution to achieve a natural image? Are the settings provided by BigPines valid for all configurations?

If you don't mind, could you report this in the Futeko forum as a bug? You have enough reputation to consider this issue seriously. Or is it an intended behaviour by HiMedia? If so, I think this is a bad decision, because they should know that many people don't buy this model for the Imprex Engine and what they want is to have a natural image of high quality. The worst part is HiMedia is lying to their users, because if they include an option to disable Imprex, it should work as expected.

Thanks again.
Agreed that disable should mean just that, off completely. I think Simon @ Futeko will relay this to HiMedia.
(2016-08-30, 16:57)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-30, 16:43)boblo Wrote: [ -> ]@hdmkv: Then, there is no solution to achieve a natural image? Are the settings provided by BigPines valid for all configurations?

If you don't mind, could you report this in the Futeko forum as a bug? You have enough reputation to consider this issue seriously. Or is it an intended behaviour by HiMedia? If so, I think this is a bad decision, because they should know that many people don't buy this model for the Imprex Engine and what they want is to have a natural image of high quality. The worst part is HiMedia is lying to their users, because if they include an option to disable Imprex, it should work as expected.

Thanks again.
Agreed that disable should mean just that, off completely. I think Simon @ Futeko will relay this to HiMedia.
Thank you very much indeed. But keep in mind Simon doesn't think this is a issue. I'm afraid that he needs more bug reports from more users to consider this a 'true' bug. Fingers crossed.
I'm afradid there is just a small "Elite" of us able to spot differences and see what is a really good natural picture.
Lots of people think color and sharpness are good tools.
Not to mention all of those who use picture setting "Standard" on their tv.
Hm my new toshiba 5 tb md04aca50d is not recogniced by the q10 pro. Its spinning but no space in options like its not plugged in. If i use usb it works but that isnt the way i wanted to use it -.-
/edit found it.

but still wont recognize it as internal hdd.
@hdmkv: I think that Futeko is not taking this issue seriously... He has replied to other posts but not the post about the Imprex issue... What a shame.
According to Futeko:
Quote:HiMedia are doing constant work on Imprex and PQ in Q5/Q10 Pro but this specific problem needs more user reports and to be reproducible before it can be considered a 'bug'.
So if it's not reproducible then will not be considered a bug.

I really want to buy this machine, but I won't until HiMedia fix this severe bug (if they will). Could you make a videoclip proving this issue? I've already seen your excellent Q10 Pro video review proving the vertical band issue on 3D ISO's.

Thank you very much indeed.
(2016-08-30, 16:49)trykkertor Wrote: [ -> ]Then either A, you had a really crappy image on your PlayOn, or B, I have a faulty Q10 Pro.
I think it is the last, because I have a perfect image with my HiMedia Q10 Pro!
(2016-09-01, 16:22)HereIsTom Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-08-30, 16:49)trykkertor Wrote: [ -> ]Then either A, you had a really crappy image on your PlayOn, or B, I have a faulty Q10 Pro.
I think it is the last, because I have a perfect image with my HiMedia Q10 Pro!

I like the forum.... same device different opinions Big Grin

I think different tv ...different video source file ...different setting ...different opinions = different result Wink
(2016-09-01, 00:51)M3lloW Wrote: [ -> ]but still wont recognize it as internal hdd.

Check out the detailed tutorial for HDD installation on the Futeko forum:

http://www.futeko.com/newforum/index.php...51#msg6951

You may simply have a partitioning or formatting issue on your drive.