Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Restoring a build to a different OS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

I made my own build on a Windows PC, got an android box and want to transfer that over there. I tried with the regular Backup script you can get on the official Repo and it gave a skin error, plus no wallpapers were loaded. It seemed quite slow as well as I'm sure something went wrong there.

Is there an easier way to transfer a build made on Windows to Android?

Thank you!
define "own build"
obviously windows binaries are not going to work on android, so I assume you want to transfer addons and settings. the latter is a no-go, even transfering addons could cause problems.
Thanks!

So, how do build wizards work then? Since they work on any OS?
I think the proper definition of 'own build' in this context would be ' stuff it with loads of addons&repo's..'
I do it manually. And it's an absolute PITA to set up initially.
1. Identify add-ons that are specific to an os - don't include / transfer them.
2. Go through every settings xml file, making sure paths will work from anywhere in your network.
That's a combination of using 'special' and network paths.
So as an example if I set a source on windows as E\Movies that's not going to work in openelec or android.
If I set it as smb://ipofmypc/BigDrive/Movies it will work from anywhere.
If I set a background on windows it will often (always) use a windows address, even if that background's in the kodi userdata folder. Changing that to a special path means - again - it will work on any system.
3. Copy to another system and try it. Find what you've missed.

And - just to repeat myself - it's a complete PITA to do it this way.