Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Files not found when moved(WindowsSMB) But found if copied
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Heya guys

Finnally having to resort to posting on a forums for help with this issue as i have had it before but it did disappear after awhile.

Now the issue is that if i move my movies or tv series into their own folders on my media pc. What will happen is that none of the other pc's on the network will be able to see the newly added file including kodi which is on my main pc.

Now if i copy the file over to the dest i then will be able to see the file and kodi will be able to scrape it.

I had this issue once before but disappeared but now its come back and i'm totally clueless would need some help on this.

Media HDD is formatted as NTFS

Thanks

Karl
Lol what...sounds like Windows is broken.
(2016-03-27, 00:27)levi.baker88 Wrote: [ -> ]Lol what...sounds like Windows is broken.

Well that's teh wierd thing i have had this issue before and it disappeared. but now its back and i can't work it out.
The only thing I could potentially think of and it is a very huge maybe, is that when you copy a file into a folder it will adopt the permissions of the parent, whereas moving will transfer the file and it's known policy. That is just shear speculation, so don't quote me on it, just a best guess.
When you MOVE a file it keeps the rights from the original place, when you COPY a file you are making a new file with new rights in that folder.

What you need to do is compare the FOLDER rights at the "good" and "bad" location. Look at both the SECURITY tab and the SHARING tab.

I'll happily work through these with you are I do understand the black at of SMB on Windows.
(2016-03-27, 15:16)BatterPudding Wrote: [ -> ]When you MOVE a file it keeps the rights from the original place, when you COPY a file you are making a new file with new rights in that folder.

What you need to do is compare the FOLDER rights at the "good" and "bad" location. Look at both the SECURITY tab and the SHARING tab.

I'll happily work through these with you are I do understand the black at of SMB on Windows.

Thanks i think you might actually be right.

Here's a Screenshot of two side by side Folders. The copied folder is the one that i can actually see through the network but not the orginal.

http://imgur.com/RN7PCHA
The trick is to go to the PARENT folder and add in the user rights you need. That can then be propogated down to all the files below.

Right click that PARENT folder "FINISHED".
Bring up Properties
Go into SECURITY tab
Press the ADVANCED button
On the PERMISSIONS tab press the CHANGE PERMISSIONS button
Now use this list to sort it all out. Add in any missing users here. Use EDIT... to give them the correct READ access (Or FULL as per your needs)
I'm guessing it is the user "MediaPC" that needs to be added in there with full READ access.
Importantly TICK the box that says "REPLACE ALL CHILD OBJECT PERMISSIONS WITH INHERITABLE PERMISSIONS FROM THIS OBJECT"
Now hit all the OK buttons until all the dialog boxes are closed.
This will kick off a big clean-up of the file rights correcting everything in the tree downwards.

Is this text description good enough? Any points that need clearing up, just ask. If needed I can do some screen shots if something is not clear.
(2016-03-27, 17:21)BatterPudding Wrote: [ -> ]The trick is to go to the PARENT folder and add in the user rights you need. That can then be propogated down to all the files below.

Right click that PARENT folder "FINISHED".
Bring up Properties
Go into SECURITY tab
Press the ADVANCED button
On the PERMISSIONS tab press the CHANGE PERMISSIONS button
Now use this list to sort it all out. Add in any missing users here. Use EDIT... to give them the correct READ access (Or FULL as per your needs)
I'm guessing it is the user "MediaPC" that needs to be added in there with full READ access.
Importantly TICK the box that says "REPLACE ALL CHILD OBJECT PERMISSIONS WITH INHERITABLE PERMISSIONS FROM THIS OBJECT"
Now hit all the OK buttons until all the dialog boxes are closed.
This will kick off a big clean-up of the file rights correcting everything in the tree downwards.

Is this text description good enough? Any points that need clearing up, just ask. If needed I can do some screen shots if something is not clear.

That was perfect. Fixed the issue though i am not sure why these permissions got removed in the first place actually. As they must of been there before as i didn't have the issue before hand.

Karl
(2016-03-27, 19:21)karl2002 Wrote: [ -> ]That was perfect. Fixed the issue though i am not sure why these permissions got removed in the first place actually. As they must of been there before as i didn't have the issue before hand.

Karl
Excellent. Glad to see that it helped you sort it out.

And it happened like that as that is how it is supposed to work. If you COPY something that means you are making a new instance of it. And that new instance then takes on the security settings of the new location.

It also varies depending on where you are moving things from as you can have folders set to keep their rights, or to inherit them from their new location. (Notice the other settings behind the ADVANCED button... where you also see that "Include Inheritable permissions from this object's parent" switch)

In fact ALL combinations can be setup as required... which is why it can get so confusing down there.

Learning that above fix will allow you to make sure everything works correctly. You can now be brave and hack in and change any User or Group Rights now on that security page.

Also remember that the SHARING rights are different. It is possible to have a user with FULL Security Rights, but on a READ-ONLY share. Meaning that the READ ONLY state of the Share can protect the files from accidental deletion.