Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Video button directly to video library
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I'm new to Kodi, using MediaPortal for many years.
I have 2 issues I hope you can help with.

1. To my Video-library I have added a "Movie-folder", a "TV-Series-folder" and a "Video-folder". The last Video-folder is my home videoes, DVDrip with kids cartoons and so on.
In Kodi main menu, I want to be able to press "Video", and go directly to the "Video-folder". I dont want to first click "Video"-button, and then have to choose between Movies-folder, TVseries-folder or Video folder.
Also I think I need to press an extra couple of clicks to get there. I just want the Video button in main menu to take me directly to the Video-folder.

2. I have a library with many DVD rips og cartoons. I have ONE big folder, and for each video-file I have a silimar names dvd cover file, like:
Aladdin.mkv
Aladdin.jpg

So in MediaPortal it showed this local DVD cover as an icon. I cannot get Kodi to do the same.
I see that one solution is to create a subfolder for each video, and rename the DVD cover to "folder.jpg". BUT I would like if Kodi could use the "Aladdin.jpg"-cover as icon instead.
Any setting in Kodi to do that?

Thank you in advanca
1. Search and install the skin Confluence++, that you can set up any addon/folder as shortcut.
Hi
Thanks. I installed Confluence++ (Helix), and now see that by "folder as shortcut" you mean it as a submenu.

Isn't it possible to program the "Video"-button or "Picture"-button to take be directly to the folder I what?

When I press "Pictures" I dont what to get a menu with only 3 options "Picture add-ons", "Pictures" and "Add pictures...", I just want it to take me directly to the Picture folder directly.
The Wife factor is not high with these additional and unnecessary extra clicks in my opinion Smile

This was no problem in MediaPortal, so I really hope this isn't an issue here.
Really, it all depends on the skin you are using. Many skins offer a lot of customisation that the standard skin does not. I suggest you have a browse through the skins sub-section and see if any take your fancy. AeonMQ5 certainly offers the possibility of placing a shortcut on the main menu to go directly to either a directory or a playlist.

Currently the way it is working for you (which I understand is not what you want) is because Kodi can handle multiple sources. Therefore it makes sense to offer the current 3 menu options you are getting as there could easily be more than one "Pictures" directory. A more flexible skin will however allow you to change this. This is part of what makes Kodi so powerful, but there is a bit of a learning curve involved.

If you get stuck with a skin trying to achieve what you want, just ask in the relevant support area. Someone will be able to explain how to go about it.
Krypton Estuary has more menu items that allow you to set up exactly how it sounds you want. for instance I can goto the video menu and the UPNP folder is listed right there.

Id suggest trying it on another box/pc if you have one. to test it out. youll want to back up your kodi before upgrading because if you decide to go back to the stable release of Jarvis youll have to uninstall Krypton.

You can also try the add on categories.

Youll have to open the addon to access the directories but it might suit your purposes.

There is also an edit library and video node. which I really haven't had the opportunity to figure out how they work.
(2016-03-28, 10:40)encorez Wrote: [ -> ]Hi
Thanks. I installed Confluence++ (Helix), and now see that by "folder as shortcut" you mean it as a submenu.

Isn't it possible to program the "Video"-button or "Picture"-button to take be directly to the folder I what?

When I press "Pictures" I dont what to get a menu with only 3 options "Picture add-ons", "Pictures" and "Add pictures...", I just want it to take me directly to the Picture folder directly.
The Wife factor is not high with these additional and unnecessary extra clicks in my opinion Smile

This was no problem in MediaPortal, so I really hope this isn't an issue here.
Shortcuts appear on home screen, not sub menu. First add the folder as favorite, then go to the homescreen shortcut to set up the folder as homescreen shortcut.
Confluence++ is more flexible allowing user to pick folder/addon in favorite to set them up as homescreen shortcut.