Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Fire TV (all Android?) Video Quality much lower than Windows - fix?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I moved from a Windows 7 setup to AFTV2 hoping to gain a simple 1-box solution as we use Amazon Prime.

I have found that the same encoded videos I watched using Kodi on Windows seem to have much lower quality on AFTV2. I see macroblocking (very bad color dithering, especially in dark scenes) and overall clarity seems lower?

I have a 110" projection screen & a 55" LCD - noticeable (but watchable) on the 55 - super distracting on the 110!

All videos are 720 or 1080 - H264, usually & my PC was an Intel i5 w/ HD4000 (thus, nothing fancy video wise)

Is there some tweaks I can do to the AFTV2 / Kodi setup to make the quality better?

Are others seeing this?

thx for the help
Can you disable mediacodec surface rendering? Does it get better?

What about the other video players running on android, e.g. default player?
I'm seeing it, have the same exact issue as you. I'm using the stick and was going to return it thinking I would get better picture with the more powerful AFTV2. Is yours connected to your router or are you running it wireless?
I'm running aftv2 via wired ethernet.

What is the difference between Surface vs regular Media codec?