Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thanks hdmkv. Bad news for me ;(
I was hoping for this 3D to work when I was ordering the laptop.
Is this some hardware limitation in Intel chipset or software driver / Kodi issue? HDMI 2.0 and above supports 3D form what I know.
Would PowerDVD or WinDVD display MVC 3D on my system?
(2017-03-03, 23:32)3DBuff Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks hdmkv. Bad news for me ;(
I was hoping for this 3D to work when I was ordering the laptop.
Is this some hardware limitation in Intel chipset or software driver / Kodi issue? HDMI 2.0 and above supports 3D form what I know.
[b]Would PowerDVD or WinDVD display MVC 3D on my system?[/b]

Yes!!
You may find it difficult to find someone with that exact hardware to confirm for you. Very nice btw. As with most things state of the art, your hardware should be able to handle just about anything you want to do with it. USB 3.1 Type C Thunderbolt connector is yet another port to consider. Some FYI to help you. I understand it is no comparison.

HDMI 2.0 does support MVC 3D Frame Packed. I know because all my hardware is HDMI 2.0. This forked build does work if everything is set to 1080p. This is undesirable with a 4k system imo. PDVD works well with 4k settings. However, I'm using Intel with NVidia. Nvidia GPU capabilities are different than Intel graphics. If I was you, I would concentrate on getting this build to work. You may find PDVD no different because of that port. Trying different adapters should be a last resort imo. Though it may be evident, have you set Kodi to 1080p just like you set Windows to 1080p globally? Have you tried a couple different drivers for your 620? I ask because last time I looked for Intel drivers, they offered two. Only one of the two was the correct driver. That was using the utility with hdmkv. I don't know how it's setup today? The good news is, your display is trying to switch into something.
I did another test today. The suggestion was that it should be all set for 1080p rather than going higher resolution and faster HDMI 2.0 4K at 60Hz. Previously tested adapter was rated 4K at 30Hz. I have another multipurpose Dell brand adapter USB 3.1 type C to HDMI (1080p only), VGA, Gigabit and USB 3.0.

With this adapter and single screen set for projector at 1080p 3D (no display on laptop) I still get shaking screen and projector is reading 1080p at 24fps, no frame packing.
One thing did improve is the sound. I got 7.1 channels PCM uncompressed from Windows driver tests and from videos on most of the formats.

As pointed out by @hdmkv it is probably related to luck of support in this Kodi version for Kaby Lake platform on HDMI 2.0 and USB C directly tied into it. I was hoping that the regular HD 1080p adapter will pull it down to HDMI 1.4. It didn't work Sad
Last desperate move. I did run Intel driver scan. The program detected custom OEM driver and recommended contacting manufacturer. I installed latest driver from Dell and February 1st MVC Kodi build.

No joy on both adapters Sad
Always shaking screen and projector is not going into 3D mode.
(2017-03-04, 03:45)3DBuff Wrote: [ -> ]I did another test today. The suggestion was that it should be all set for 1080p rather than going higher resolution and faster HDMI 2.0 4K at 60Hz. Previously tested adapter was rated 4K at 30Hz. I have another multipurpose Dell brand adapter USB 3.1 type C to HDMI (1080p only), VGA, Gigabit and USB 3.0.

With this adapter and single screen set for projector at 1080p 3D (no display on laptop) I still get shaking screen and projector is reading 1080p at 24fps, no frame packing.
One thing did improve is the sound. I got 7.1 channels PCM uncompressed from Windows driver tests and from videos on most of the formats.

As pointed out by @hdmkv it is probably related to luck of support in this Kodi version for Kaby Lake platform on HDMI 2.0 and USB C directly tied into it. I was hoping that the regular HD 1080p adapter will pull it down to HDMI 1.4. It didn't work Sad

let's be clear: this kodi build is not the problem. the problem is intel kaby lake, the intel integrated gpu, and hdmi 2.0.
(2017-03-04, 04:40)TheShoe Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-03-04, 03:45)3DBuff Wrote: [ -> ]....................

let's be clear: this kodi build is not the problem. the problem is intel kaby lake, the intel integrated gpu, and hdmi 2.0.

I wouldn't blame it all on Intel and Kaby Lake if the system works outputting 3D using PowerDVD according to @movie78. I'll try to test it at some point.

It's probably Intel braking backward compatibility to achieve grater standards like 4K and HEVC. This laptop will play flawless 1080p 10bit HEVC file at 5% to 7% CPU load with reduced CPU frequency.
Plus it works with native 1.4 port, so Intel chips are working as they should be. It really is the converter chip.

Sent from my HTC One_M8
Not exact same hardware here, but also Kaby Lake CPU with DisplayPort to
HDMI 2.0 or USB-C3.1 to HDMI 2.0 or the mainboard HDMI 2.0 port don't work
for framepacking 3D. Be warned PowerDVD will also not work !

I did so many tests, as long as you keep the HDMI 2.0 chain it will not work
for the moment. The problem seems to be the converter chip to HDMI from
DisplayPort/USB-C 3.1.

For me the only way to get framepacking 3D working is to use an older DisplayPort
1.1 to HDMI 1.4 adapter. With this I get it to work for KODI and PowerDVD, but of
course no UHD/4K with more than 30 Hz.

Hopefully it's a driver/Firmware based issue and will be solved, but who knows...
Gizzmo, thanks your input. What do you see on screen when it doesn't work? Just trying to make sure that I don't have some other issue.

From what you are saying it looks like it is in the last piece HDMI dongle if the port is not build in.

You have found older adapter for display port 1.1 working.
This may not exist for newer USB 3.1 type C.
It's a thin laptop and there is no other port.
My situation is the following, with Asrock Fatal1ty Z270 miniITX board and Kaby Lake
CPU using the Intel GPU:

Directly HDMI from mainboard: projector switches to 3D framepacking and shows that
it comes in. But the picture flips between movie and something from the background,
or is overlayed with the background. I also have issues with audiobitstreaming.

Using DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 adapter from Club3D: projector gets a signal that
he can't handle, so the projector shows blue screen with only input message and
after some time he shows no input. I would expect that with that signal maybe other
devices (TVs, projectors) react differently. Maybe some show something but it should
be nothing useful. Audio is playing...

Using the USB-C 3.1, which is Thunderbolt 3 compatible and adapter to HDMI 2.0:
same as with DP 1.2

The problem at the moment is that no mainboard has a direct HDMI 2.0 output.
They use the DP 1.2 signal and route it through an converterchip to get HDMI 2.0.
So that was the reason I thought maybe another chip within an external adapter
maybe handles the signal different/better. Like you read above, it is handled differently
but not better...
So not sure what might be wrong. I got ASRock BeeBox 7200. I have setup per first post. When I try to play back a 3d .iso that I know if Frame Package it plays as Over and Under. I have tried on the HDMI 1.4 and 2.0 port and same. I play same movie on my NUC with PowerDVD and plays fine.
(2017-03-05, 01:29)rmilyard Wrote: [ -> ]So not sure what might be wrong. I got ASRock BeeBox 7200. I have setup per first post. When I try to play back a 3d .iso that I know if Frame Package it plays as Over and Under. I have tried on the HDMI 1.4 and 2.0 port and same. I play same movie on my NUC with PowerDVD and plays fine.
Intel Display settings set at 1080p@60hz? And 3D would only with on the HDMI 1.4 Port.

The hardware based option should be available, if it's not giving you that option something ain't right.

Sent from my HTC 10
(2017-03-05, 01:34)fmedrano1977 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-03-05, 01:29)rmilyard Wrote: [ -> ]So not sure what might be wrong. I got ASRock BeeBox 7200. I have setup per first post. When I try to play back a 3d .iso that I know if Frame Package it plays as Over and Under. I have tried on the HDMI 1.4 and 2.0 port and same. I play same movie on my NUC with PowerDVD and plays fine.
Intel Display settings set at 1080p@60hz? And 3D would only with on the HDMI 1.4 Port.

The hardware based option should be available, if it's not giving you that option something ain't right.

Sent from my HTC 10 (typie typie)

Yes. If use PowerDVD 16 plays fine.
(2017-03-05, 01:37)rmilyard Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-03-05, 01:34)fmedrano1977 Wrote: [ -> ]

Sent from my HTC 10 (typie typie)

Yes. If use PowerDVD 16 plays fine.

I have exactly the same problem. PowerDVD is fine, Kodi MVC build doesn't play them. I also posted this issue on the Kaby Lake thread.