Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel HTPCs/NUCs & Kodi-native 3D MVC Playback
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What are the CPU requirements for "Full resolution 3D (MVC decoding with frame-packing rendering)" within KODI?

I have an Intel i3-3220 which is a 3rd generation (Ivy Bridge) which lists it has "InTru 3D Technology". Is this sufficient?

http://ark.intel.com/products/65693/Inte...e-3_30-GHz

I'm currently running MacOS so I'd like to know whether this CPU is suitable before I bother installing Windows.

Cheers.
Intel i3-3220 is more than enough.

PS. my Intel i3-3225 works perfectly.
(2017-04-16, 22:02)filmgeek47 Wrote: [ -> ]I've switched back to the old setup, however I did stumble upon something interesting. Apparently, the issue is the audio struggling to play with the video, rather than the other way around. Basically, if I turn off audio pass through, or switch to the embedded AC3 5.1 audio for a file, it seems to consistently play fine.

Sometimes, it'll play fine without studdering with the HD track, but usually just after I've messed around with the audio settings). I think what's happening is that after changing a setting, the system is refreshing the display and audio outputs, then will work fine until the software is rebooted.

Very frustrating because the 2D playback is fine, and SOMETIMES I'll get through a 3D movie fine too, but not 90% of the time.

Any other ideas? I'm gonna go back to using the older build that seemed to be working for now, but it would obviously be awesome if whatever issue that's cropped up since gets resolved in the newer builds.

What's really weird to me is that nobody else seems to be reporting this studdering on recent builds. Maybe it's just my specific chipset/CPU?
I have a celeron (NUC6CAYH) and ran into some issues with audio sync too. And with skipping ahead/back in 3D MVC.
(2017-04-17, 19:09)Korrigan Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-04-16, 22:02)filmgeek47 Wrote: [ -> ]I've switched back to the old setup, however I did stumble upon something interesting. Apparently, the issue is the audio struggling to play with the video, rather than the other way around. Basically, if I turn off audio pass through, or switch to the embedded AC3 5.1 audio for a file, it seems to consistently play fine.

Sometimes, it'll play fine without studdering with the HD track, but usually just after I've messed around with the audio settings). I think what's happening is that after changing a setting, the system is refreshing the display and audio outputs, then will work fine until the software is rebooted.

Very frustrating because the 2D playback is fine, and SOMETIMES I'll get through a 3D movie fine too, but not 90% of the time.

Any other ideas? I'm gonna go back to using the older build that seemed to be working for now, but it would obviously be awesome if whatever issue that's cropped up since gets resolved in the newer builds.

What's really weird to me is that nobody else seems to be reporting this studdering on recent builds. Maybe it's just my specific chipset/CPU?
I have a celeron (NUC6CAYH) and ran into some issues with audio sync too. And with skipping ahead/back in 3D MVC.

Yeah, skipping in 3D has never worked for me. To be clear, did you ever get 3D and bitstream Audio working without sync issues on your system,?
(2017-04-17, 20:50)filmgeek47 Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, skipping in 3D has never worked for me. To be clear, did you ever get 3D and bitstream Audio working without sync issues on your system,?
I will do extensive testing soon. I just got my new TV a few days ago.
Does everyone else skip frames like crazy when you do interlaced 3D (on 4K) and open the menu bar? (Might be because I'm still on February build though?)
The other thing I noticed is some sort of image error/artifact in the bottom few pixels on full 16:9 3D (IMAX scenes of Guardians of the Galaxy 3D, Up 3D are the ones I tested). What I mean is that the near the bottom if you have a pattern like \\\\\\\\\\\
the bottom few pixels will suddenly be //////////// (will post a screenshot shortly)
(2017-04-20, 10:21)Korrigan Wrote: [ -> ]Does everyone else skip frames like crazy when you do interlaced 3D (on 4K) and open the menu bar? (Might be because I'm still on February build though?)
The other thing I noticed is some sort of image error/artifact in the bottom few pixels on full 16:9 3D (IMAX scenes of Guardians of the Galaxy 3D, Up 3D are the ones I tested). What I mean is that the near the bottom if you have a pattern like \\\\\\\\\\\
the bottom few pixels will suddenly be //////////// (will post a screenshot shortly)
No skipped frames over here when using the menu bar and playing a (ISO) 3D movie.

That distortion on the bottom when 3D media is full screen, is there for quite some time now, not weeks or months but longer. Not only in 4k Interlaced but also when using 1080p and the 3D Hardware setting is my experience. It is such a small part on the bottom that it doesn't bother me when there, and a lot of 3D media has black bars so it is not an issue.
(2017-04-20, 15:54)p750mmx Wrote: [ -> ]No skipped frames over here when using the menu bar and playing a (ISO) 3D movie.

That distortion on the bottom when 3D media is full screen, is there for quite some time now, not weeks or months but longer. Not only in 4k Interlaced but also when using 1080p and the 3D Hardware setting is my experience. It is such a small part on the bottom that it doesn't bother me when there, and a lot of 3D media has black bars so it is not an issue.
Yeah I tried it again with the newer (21-March-2017) build and it still skips about 1 frame per second when I play a 3D MVC file (remux mkv or bd folder structure; havent tried iso yet) in 4k interlaced and open the menu bar. (4k OU and SBS both work fine)

I find the distortion on the bottom of full screen 3D media pretty distracting - youre saying this is a known issue and has been going on for months?!

Right now it seems like my old Raspberry Pi 3 is actually superior to the NUC6CAYH when 3D playback is concerned... (working Frame Packing, no distortion at the bottom)
(2017-04-20, 17:27)Korrigan Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-04-20, 15:54)p750mmx Wrote: [ -> ]No skipped frames over here when using the menu bar and playing a (ISO) 3D movie.

Yeah I tried it again with the newer (21-March-2017) build and it still skips about 1 frame per second when I play a 3D MVC file (remux mkv or bd folder structure; havent tried iso yet) in 4k interlaced and open the menu bar. (4k OU and SBS both work fine)

I find the distortion on the bottom of full screen 3D media pretty distracting - youre saying this is a known issue and has been going on for months?!

Right now it seems like my old Raspberry Pi 3 is actually superior to the NUC6CAYH when 3D playback is concerned... (working Frame Packing, no distortion at the bottom)
You can do a vertical correction of the video image, so that the distortion is out of the picture if it distracts to much? With my setup a 1.00 vertical correction let the distortion disappear.
(2017-04-20, 19:19)p750mmx Wrote: [ -> ]You can do a vertical correction of the video image, so that the distortion is out of the picture if it distracts to much? With my setup a 1.00 vertical correction let the distortion disappear.
So the distortion isn't getting fixed in the forseeable future? That + Intel messing up HDMI 2.0 Frame Packing + no Windows/Kodi HDR yet are the only things missing for the complete NUC HTPC experience.
I tested 4K interlaced a bit more and I'm starting to like it. Very good error free 3D but the trade off is 24fps screen without any frame interpolation. It is not too bad on filmed movies and not the animated ones. Some people would argue that 24 fps is the way movie was created for cinemas and this it the real cinematic experience.

The distorted line at the bottom is only on full screen 16:9 bottom 1/4" like a bent glass. I wouldn't see it until you guys pointed it out Wink Not too many movies around with the full top to bottom 16:9 frame.
I'm on Jan 16th release of Kodi MOV and I can't see any regular dropped frames using ISO files. I don't have a NUC but in principal this should be the same for Intel Kaby Lake.
@Korrigan make sure your LG TV input is selected as PC on and don't have some sound problem on your system. Select WASAPI driver of your receiver or TV. Try to disable Audio Pass-through and use 2 channels only for the test. Keep resample quality at Medium.

I can't comment on how stable the build is. I do get occasional lock up but I blame it on my wireless connection. I ordered USB to gigabit adapter from Ebay and I'm still waiting for it for 2 months Wink The one I have right now will not connect to NAS SAMBA drive.

There is also occasional left / right eye flip by itself. I'm going to try newer build.

Question here for Kodi experts. Where do you adjust subtitle 3D depth. I think I saw it in previous Kodi version last year along font size selection. There is a skin setting for Stereoscopic 3D effect strength but nothing for subtitles. Forced subtitles appear at the depth of the screen frame. On occasion front scene is closer and looks very awkward with subtitles being deeper. Is the a way to bring them forward, closer to viewer?
(2017-04-21, 03:40)3DBuff Wrote: [ -> ]The distorted line at the bottom is only on full screen 16:9 bottom 1/4" like a bent glass. I wouldn't see it until you guys pointed it out Wink
And now you can't unsee it? Wink For me it's pretty noticeable when that 1/4" is patterned and the shot is moving.
(2017-04-21, 03:40)3DBuff Wrote: [ -> ]There is also occasional left / right eye flip by itself. I'm going to try newer build.
Pretty sure that's fixed by turning off "Pixel shift" in "Panel settings" (Are you also on LG E6? I think that setting is supposed to prevent image retention by shifting pixels vertically)

Anyway I'm still investigating sound sync issues.
(2017-04-21, 03:40)3DBuff Wrote: [ -> ]Where do you adjust subtitle 3D depth

Is it:
Settings > Player Settings > Language > Stereoscopic 3D depth of subtitles
(2017-04-21, 09:13)Korrigan Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-04-21, 03:40)3DBuff Wrote: [ -> ]There is also occasional left / right eye flip by itself. I'm going to try newer build.
Pretty sure that's fixed by turning off "Pixel shift" in "Panel settings" (Are you also on LG E6? I think that setting is supposed to prevent image retention by shifting pixels vertically)

Anyway I'm still investigating sound sync issues.

Yes you are correct I do have "Pixel shift" ON to prevent image retention on E6. I will turn it off tonight. I didn't think of that, single line shift reversing eyes Wink
It happened 3 or 4 times to me yesterday as I was playing pausing and experimenting. I blamed it on Kodi Wink
"Pixel shift" Off on the TV did the trick. No more left / right eye flip at random. Thanks Korrigan.

This 3D interlaced mode is growing on me. The cleanest 3D image with no ghosting or some flashing edges out of perspective on fast objects.
It almost seams like the processing of the 3D frame packing by the TV is done individually on each eye. On occasion when something is moving fast one eye is out of sync with the other causing 3D errors or artifacts. 3D interlaced PC mode on LG TV is free of all of that as the image is not processed at all and TV is not in 3D mode.

It is worth checking for anybody with LG 4K 3D TV.