Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Ultimate picture quality
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This weekend I watched a DVD disc on my fairly old Blu-ray player as network changes had temporarily made my Kodi box (Minix Neo U1) unavailable. I couldn't help but notice that the quality of the picture, for a DVD, was very good. Later in the evening the Minix was online again so I played the first few minutes of my rip of the same movie. It was immediately obvious that the rip and/or stream was not in the same league, looking especially soft and indistinct in the shadowy areas of a scene. The rip is a direct MKV of the disc, no additional processing and certainly no compression. I think (but haven't checked) that Blu-ray titles are OK so perhaps the Blu-ray player is doing some upscaling that the Kodi box isn't - ? If anyone has seen the same thing or has some tips for improving my stream picture quality I'd be very interested.
iso DVD Rips with mpeg2 files contained in .vob containers played on AMLogic Hardware will ffmpeg2 Software decode. The quality will not be the best compared to Hardware decoding. Its a known issue.

Try going into the Video OSD settings and turn deinterlacing to OFF and see if that improves anything.
Thanks for the response. I'll look into that. I noticed that all hardware decoding options are turned on in Kodi which suggests it can make use of anything the box offers in that department, but the upscaling feature doesn't look like it's being used (by default). I'll keep investigating...