Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Editing default language file.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Dear,

In kodi v15 i was able to edit strings.po in order to change some text in the main menu.
In kodi v16 i was unable to find the default strings.po for en_gb language.
i can find it when i download a new language file for example en_us.

Anybody know where to find the default?

Thanks in advance.
In Kodi 16 language files are placed under Addons.

So in case you're using Windows: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons
Dear AussieFries.
I am able to locate the language file for the en_us file.
but not the default en_gb file.

For some reason there is no strings.po in that language location. so i wonder where it is stored now.

Kind regards.
it's stored in the install folder of kodi
Dear Martijn,

What file would that be?
I am unable to locate a file called strings.po. Does the default language use another file name/type?

Kind regards
(2016-04-01, 14:02)AussieFries Wrote: [ -> ]In Kodi 16 language files are placed under Addons.

So in case you're using Windows: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons
In windows it would be in c:\program files\kodi\system\addons.

- unless you've taken the sensible route and done a portable install.
Dear trogggy,

I am able to locate the files on windows but not on the kodi v16 android ARM file system.
Sorry i should have mentioned this earlier but i didn't notice my thread was moved.
Apologies.

Kind regards.
What's the location of the file on windows?
Dear trogggy

C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\addons\resource.language.en_gb\resources\strings.po
in kodi /sdcard/android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/addons/packages is displayed empty.
and /sdcard/android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/addon_data is only populated with skin.confluence.

Kind regards
Righto.
AFAIK you can't edit the original (easily) in android.
I would do the following...
1. Agree that trogggy is not responsible if your android box explodes.
2. Copy the 'resource.language.en_gb' from your windows c\program files\addons folder to somewhere else.
3. Go into that copied folder, open addon.xml in a text editor (eg Notepad++), change the version number to 2.0.1 (ie higher than the original - maybe change it to a much higher number to prevent it being overwritten), change provider to 'Team Kodi and me.' Save - make sure you save as an .xml, not an .xml.txt file.
4. Open the strings.po file, make your changes, save.
5. Zip the resource.language.en_gb folder, stick it somewhere accessible from kodi on android and install it (system > addons > install from zip file).
6. Enjoy changes / curse trogggy (delete as applicable).
Hmmm this is going to be a problem. since the language file will probably be changed a lot.
My original goal was to overwrite the file with a plugin. but this is getting more complicated now.
Where does kodi gets its info from when the file does not exist?
No idea, sorry. I'm not sure I understand the problem though...you can change the language file as much as you like. And once you've installed your zip it will sit in the android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/addons folder so you can mess with it after that to your heart's content (or update it with another zip).
Dear trogggy,

We have around 300 android boxes with kodi. With events we try to change the background and some GUI texts etc. to fit the event where it is being used.
The plan was to build a plugin that would overwrite the files from an online source every time kodi boots.
While the m3u file etc are all being downloaded/overwriten it all works. the only problem is that i cant overwrite the strings.po file to change the names of some of the GUI elements.
If i know the location of the file that hosts the language strings Kodi uses to display i can edit that file only and host it to the server. where it would be overwritten the next time kodi boots.
300 boxes? You must have a really big house.
Not really. perhaps someday Tongue
Pages: 1 2