Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: YouTube Plug-in Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2017-01-02, 23:53)twilight0 Wrote: [ -> ]You clearly have no idea how the Youtube addon works.

Well everyone knows how it does NOT work because you employed an easy shortcut. This is not an acceptable long term solution. I appreciate your effort to work on this app, but my friendly advice is to stop wasting time on a method which has no future. The YouTube app needs to emulate a browser with no API key. Sorry if you are angry (wounded ego, et cetera) but everyone knows this is the truth.

(2017-01-02, 23:53)twilight0 Wrote: [ -> ]1) Roku works differently
That is the point of my post: if you are making no progress, you should examine the competitor's product.

(2017-01-02, 23:53)twilight0 Wrote: [ -> ]2) since its an "official" app it might have its own API key with unlimited quota
Precisely!!! And even if it does not, you could still learn something about how to deal with YouTube.

(2017-01-02, 23:53)twilight0 Wrote: [ -> ]That's because Roku manufacturer pays Google!

Do you have proof of this, or are you just guessing?

(2017-01-02, 23:53)twilight0 Wrote: [ -> ]you have no idea how much effort it takes to do such task

Yes I do. That is why I suggest you stop wasting time on this API which has no long term future. The journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step.
@kb87 - You have attributed all of the above quotes to the wrong user. Please correct this.
@jmh2002 - thanks for pointing this out. Corrected.
@kb87 - so when can we expect your fully working and future-proofed version of a YouTube add-on with all of these changes that you're going to make to be submitted to the official repo for approval and use by everyone?
@DarrenHill - Steve Jobs was not a coder, he was a project manager. If Apple employees simply sneered and said "do it yourself" when he discussed his "impossible" ideas, Apple would not be where it is today. I reiterate, there is something to be learned by examining things that work better than what you already have. It's not intended as an insult, you just CHOOSE to take it that way. Kodi will never be able to compete with Roku or Apple TV if the user has to generate API keys. I want to see open platforms totally displace proprietary platforms. I also work just as hard on other projects. I did not see a requirement to be a committer on this app in order to give a potentially helpful suggestion.
No but Jobs also wasn't a volunteer contributor of an open-source project, and the coders that he spoke to (to be diplomatic Wink ) he also employed and paid them a salary for the work they were doing.

Roku and Apple TV are closed source projects that are also commercial and that are charged for. Hence items like DRM and API access are not the issues that they are for an open-source non-profit (and free) project like Kodi. This is the stumbling point concerning official and legitimate add-ons and access to many commercial media sources, not just YouTube.

Your tone may not have been intended to be insulting and aggressive, but it comes across that way in places. What you suggest is by no means invalid, but they could be more constructively framed.
(2017-01-03, 12:57)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]the coders that he spoke to (to be diplomatic Wink ) he also employed and paid them a salary for the work they were doing
I'm working on getting you funding, isnt that more important? In the meantime, have you thought about a lottery, or an upgrades market where people (and corporations) can pay for the features they want? And how the funds could be distributed fairly?

(2017-01-03, 12:57)DarrenHill Wrote: [ -> ]Your tone may not have been intended to be insulting and aggressive, but it comes across that way in places. What you suggest is by no means invalid, but they could be more constructively framed.

Sometimes the truth hurts, and I don't know how else to state it without making the post a lot longer than it needs to be. I just think that Kodi should be capable of rendering the same media objects which appear on a public web page, without using API's. That really is "future proof" because the browser is the baseline which everyone supports. This is where Kodi's development efforts need to be focused. I am not dictating policy here, I am just saying, with the new year perhaps it is a good time for Team Kodi to reassess its development strategy.
(2017-01-03, 11:46)kb87 Wrote: [ -> ]Well everyone knows how it does NOT work because you employed an easy shortcut. This is not an acceptable long term solution. I appreciate your effort to work on this app, but my friendly advice is to stop wasting time on a method which has no future. The YouTube app needs to emulate a browser with no API key. Sorry if you are angry (wounded ego, et cetera) but everyone knows this is the truth.

I only provide translation for Youtube addon. I may or may not submit a PR in the future but this is not the point. I am not angry at you, but you do make me feel a bit itchy. The addon is not a "shortcut" to Youtube, it has a whole underlying mechanism to scrape such a complex website and YES it needs the keys to work properly because google asks for them. That's why I said you have no idea how it works.

(2017-01-03, 11:46)kb87 Wrote: [ -> ]That is the point of my post: if you are making no progress, you should examine the competitor's product.

Who said Kodi needs to "progress" even more. Or phaze out "competitors". I think it is already the most popular media center software out there. It is open source and even other proprietary "competitors" are laughable compared to it. I see Roku as a sterilized product. Not as flexible as Kodi.

(2017-01-03, 11:46)kb87 Wrote: [ -> ]Precisely!!! And even if it does not, you could still learn something about how to deal with YouTube.

Whatever.

(2017-01-03, 11:46)kb87 Wrote: [ -> ]Do you have proof of this, or are you just guessing?

I don't have proof, but also you don't, for the opposite. Yes I guessed, how else are you going to increase your keys' quota?

(2017-01-03, 11:46)kb87 Wrote: [ -> ]Yes I do. That is why I suggest you stop wasting time on this API which has no long term future. The journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step.

No you don't. And if you think you can take the first step, you 're free to do so.
I was at my dad's for the holidays, he has a Roku. I found the YouTube experience unwatchable with the commercials. Couldn't wait to get home and use Kodi with my own keys. My daughter has Apple TV, same as Roku and also unwatchable imho. They love their devices, I love Kodi/YouTube.

Thanks to the developers for all their hard work.
Hello, I see the option to set default view type is gone, (using Aeon Nox skin), is there any chance to get it back please? from page 2 on icon view changes to list view which is really not a good option imo. Thanks in advance
(2017-01-03, 15:51)EricSol Wrote: [ -> ]...Couldn't wait to get home and use Kodi with my own keys...

Thanks to the developers for all their hard work.

Angel Wink
(2017-01-03, 16:01)elra Wrote: [ -> ]Hello, I see the option to set default view type is gone, (using Aeon Nox skin), is there any chance to get it back please? from page 2 on icon view changes to list view which is really not a good option imo. Thanks in advance
Please refer to my previous post here.
(2016-12-09, 19:51)jmh2002 Wrote: [ -> ]The situation regarding set content, views, etc, has not been forgotten and is still being dealt with.

Hacky work arounds are not a permanent solution and we remain in contact with Team Kodi members to try and work towards the correct outcome in line with policy enforcement for the future.

Your patience is appreciated Smile

At this time I am able to provide a small update and inform all users that this situation is being resolved step by step and a solution will soon be released by Team Kodi.

For all users, please continue to be patient and remember to thank all the various Team Kodi Members and Addon Developers (not just for YouTube) who have used their precious hard earned free time to support the use of Kodi by you and your family throughout the holiday period Nod
Hi All,

I Am actually new to this addo-on (sorry for having discovered it so late...Blush).

I'm writing since I'm not able to watch a video at 1080p; what Kodi plays is the 720p version of it. So I'm wondering where I'm making a mistake. These are the relevant settings I'm using:

YouTube addo-on
Video Quality -> 720p
Always ask for the video quality -> Disabled
Use MPEG-DASH -> Enabled

InputStream Adaptive
Min. Bandwidth -> 11000000
Max. Bandwidth -> 20000000
Max. Resolution -> 1080p
Stream Selection -> Manual (I have tried also "Auto")
Media -> All

The "guilty" video is this one and under Firefox it plays without any issue at 1080p resolution.

In order to help, you can find the log at this link.

Is there any way to "force" the use of 1080p instead of having the adaptive approach calculation based on the minimum bandwidth (4 Mbit/s as default; 11 Mbit/s in my case)?

Thanks for your support and the amazing effort your are putting in your work. Please let me know if you need further information.
Deleted
To the people who think the plugin is old and broken here is some advice.

#1 put up or shut up. Anytime you want to take this thing over, i'll sign the repo and github stuff right over to you.

#2 read the Terms of Agreement in regards to use of the Youtube API. See what happens with your "roku" does this and that.

Bottom line, we took this over from Bromix because he didn't want to work on it anymore and didn't have the time. Other people have graciously donated their time and energy to keep this project going. When bromix retired in January the plugin sat broken for over 6 to 8 months. Before you start say "Your stuff sucks" you should do it this way, remember how this project works. No one gets paid, it's donated.

Jeff