Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Status of VDADecoder: Bug or …?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello!

For a while now I've had issues with some videos. Primarily, when streaming (most) TV channels to my Mac.
(I'm running Kodi 16.0 on Mac OS El Capitan 10.11.4.)

I thought the error to be on my side; I've recently found out the culprit: "Allow hardware acceleration – VDADecoder" was activated.

In fact, deactivating that particular setting fixes everything. But with it active, I get a black (sometimes green) screen (audio plays fine). As far as I (think to have) figured out, the issue arises with some particular codecs.

So my question is: Is this a bug or known issue? Or is VDADecoder on Mac OS buggy/broken (as I've seen mentioned in a few places over the years)? Or am I doing it wrong?

Any hints would be greatly appreciated!
Nicola

watch gallery
nvidia gpu?
Hey!

(2016-04-05, 18:22)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]nvidia gpu?

Nope, it's the default "Intel HD Graphics 5000" installed in my MacBook Air…

Nicola
well we switched from our own vda decoder to ffmpegs vda decoder. There are some reports that it does behave like you said in some situations. Seems this needs a fix in ffmpeg then maybe.

Are you able to provide a sample that shows this issue (not more then 50mb in size)?
(2016-04-06, 08:58)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]Are you able to provide a sample that shows this issue (not more then 50mb in size)?

I have the issue when streaming a TV signal; but I guess I should probably be able to do a (very short) recording (without any postprocessing) and get the same result. I'll play around a bit and get back to you later today.
(2016-04-06, 08:58)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]Are you able to provide a sample that shows this issue (not more then 50mb in size)?

Sorry for the delay; life got in the way… ;-)

Anyway, here's a sample (~32MB, ~30s) with which the issue occurs (if you have any better idea than Dropbox, let me know):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wqff64rwrycnr53/ZIB.ts?dl=0

If there's any way for me to help out, I'm here for you!
Nicola

Hey Memphiz, did you get a chance to check out the issue? I uploaded a relevant file a couple days ago.

Nicola
We are transitioning to ffmpeg VTB support instead of VDA (VideoToolbox vs. VideoDecodeAcceleration). There is no fix for the issue you see on intel hd 5000 for now - we hope switching to vtb will solve it ... (though its not ready for testing yet).
Really early version of vtb enabled kodi:

http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/osx/x...x86_64.dmg

does it solve your problem?
(2016-04-28, 16:54)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]We are transitioning to ffmpeg VTB support instead of VDA (VideoToolbox vs. VideoDecodeAcceleration). There is no fix for the issue you see on intel hd 5000 for now - we hope switching to vtb will solve it ... (though its not ready for testing yet).

Thanks for getting back to me: That's good to know!

(2016-04-28, 18:43)Memphiz Wrote: [ -> ]Really early version of vtb enabled kodi:

http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/osx/x...x86_64.dmg

does it solve your problem?

It does seem to work: it works both with hardware acceleration disabled and enabled (~60% vs. ~35% CPU usage). Though I cannot say for sure whether it solves my problem, since the TV-portion appears not to be completely working on this alpha. (Everything seems to be pointing toward it working, will wait for release!)

Thanks!
Nicola
Hi,

I also have problems streaming H.264 encoded HD channels with DVBLogic plugin.
Everything works fine after I disable the VDADecoder option in settings.
I'm am using a 2012 Mac Mini with Intel HD 4000 graphics.

Are there plans to switch to the ffmpeg VTB support with Krypton?
Will this fix all issues?
Its already switched in current nightlies ... and obviously doesn't work for all intel GPUs the same way ...