Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Recommended Episodes/Movies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all

Ok, first off, I've scoured the Forums for a solution to my issue. Everywhere I see the Mimic skin showcased, I see these Recent Movies or Recommended / Trending Episodes menus in the middle of the home screen with the fanart. For the worth of me, I can't seem to figure out how to get those style menus on my home screen. I'd love to be able to access my favorite shows on my homescreen without having to go through all the steps to get to it through the main menu. I have it set up where the TV Shows menu takes me to Most Popular but I want the actual shows I watch to be right there on the home screen (see pic).

Also, I'm a total noob and don't know a thing about coding so forgive me for asking ow to get the background fanart on the home screen too. I've looked this up everywhere and still vcan't figure it out. All I get is a grey carbon fiber type background.

http://i.imgur.com/f0aFELp.jpg
Got to Skin Settings > Home window > Setup menus and widgets

From here you can set the widget and background for each menu item. The skin.helper.service script provides a large list of available widgets under the Default Widgets item. This addon should have automatically been installed if you installed Mimic from the Kodi addon browser.

On this same window you can customize the backgrounds if you want a different one for each menu item. If you want to use a single or multiimage, you'll need to add your folder of images using the filebrowser first.

If you want to set a global slideshow that cycles fanart for the entire menu, go to Skin Settings > Backgrounds > Overrride home backgrounds with slideshow. Again, you'll need to add your images using the filebrowser first.

Don't know what else to tell ya except to spend some time trying out the various skin settings.
(2016-04-11, 17:46)braz Wrote: [ -> ]Got to Skin Settings > Home window > Setup menus and widgets

From here you can set the widget and background for each menu item. The skin.helper.service script provides a large list of available widgets under the Default Widgets item. This addon should have automatically been installed if you installed Mimic from the Kodi addon browser.

On this same window you can customize the backgrounds if you want a different one for each menu item. If you want to use a single or multiimage, you'll need to add your folder of images using the filebrowser first.

If you want to set a global slideshow that cycles fanart for the entire menu, go to Skin Settings > Backgrounds > Overrride home backgrounds with slideshow. Again, you'll need to add your images using the filebrowser first.

Don't know what else to tell ya except to spend some time trying out the various skin settings.

Thanks for the info and the quick response but it really doesn't answer my question on how to set up the Recent / Recommended / Trending (whatever) Episodes or Featured Movies menus in the middle of the screen like in the pic I provided. I've messed with the settings forever it seems and I still can't seem to get that menu or the background art on the home screen. Immensely frustrating.
Actually, the first part of my response exactly answers your question about setting up widgets.

Maybe you can start by saying what version of Kodi and Mimic you are running? Another thing to keep in mind is that the recent/recommended widgets only work if you have local content. These are not going to work with addon content.
(2016-04-11, 18:02)braz Wrote: [ -> ]Actually, the first part of my response exactly answers your question about setting up widgets.

Maybe you can start by saying what version of Kodi and Mimic you are running? Another thing to keep in mind is that the recent/recommended widgets only work if you have local content. These are not going to work with addon content.

The first part of your question if I'm not mistaken, is regarding getting background art on the home screen menu. That is one of my issues but the issue of a gallery of Recent Movies or Episodes that scroll through the middle of the screen is still not addressed. I'm using Jarvis and Mimic 3.4.1.

When you say "Another thing to keep in mind is that the recent/recommended widgets only work if you have local content. These are not going to work with addon content", does that mean that I have to have the shows downloaded on an external HD or the internal storage and if so, why does it say "Recent" or "Trending" Episodes? It has to be addon related because external or internal storage isn't going to update like that. I assumed that if I use addon "XYZ", I could then set up a home screen widget that shows me these recent or recommended episodes or movies like in the videos and pictures I see people using on their Mimic home sceens (like the one in the picture I posted a link for).

First of all, there's no "custom widget" option anywhere in the Skin Settings that I can find. Every time I try to set up a widget using the >settings>setup menus and widgets>movies/TV>select widget>, nothing happens.

BTW, I really appreciate your taking the time to help me out.
(2016-04-11, 18:14)TheCorkery Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-04-11, 18:02)braz Wrote: [ -> ]Actually, the first part of my response exactly answers your question about setting up widgets.

The first part of your question if I'm not mistaken, is regarding getting background art on the home screen menu. That is one of my issues but the issue of a gallery of Recent Movies or Episodes that scroll through the middle of the screen is still not addressed. I'm using Jarvis and Mimic 3.4.1.

When you say "Another thing to keep in mind is that the recent/recommended widgets only work if you have local content. These are not going to work with addon content", does that mean that I have to have the shows downloaded on an external HD or the internal storage and if so, why does it say "Recent" or "Trending" Episodes? It has to be addon related because external or internal storage isn't going to update like that. I assumed that if I use addon "XYZ", I could then set up a home screen widget that shows me these recent or recommended episodes or movies like in the videos and pictures I see people using on their Mimic home sceens (like the one in the picture I posted a link for).

First of all, there's no "custom widget" option anywhere in the Skin Settings that I can find. Every time I try to set up a widget using the >settings>setup menus and widgets>movies/TV>select widget>, nothing happens.

BTW, I really appreciate your taking the time to help me out.

Or, adding Favorite episodes to the home screen...no idea how that's done either.
A favorites widget is also available.

The reason you can't get it to work is because Kodi is primarily designed for local content, the (legal) video addons are just a bonus.

If you are watching movies and episodes via video addons, those addons are very likely to be on the banned addons list and not supported here.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Forum_rul...ed_add-ons