Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Display driver stopped responding and has recovered [SOLVED]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I keep getting this error when playing and stopping playback of any video file on Kodi 16. I am on Windows 10 64 bit, Nvidia 970 GTX

I've searched and found this thread - http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=260940

Unfortunately I've done it all...
- updated to latest Nvidia drivers (364.72)
- updated them using clean installation checked
- edited my regedit with QWORD under the appropriate tree using TdrDelay value 8, and even 10
- used the settings in this link - http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=259366
- rebooted many times after each of the above

And after all that still get the error. Has anyone at all found a fix other then the above or are still having issues so I know I'm not alone?

Thank you!
What does your log look like with debug turned on? Kodi 16.1 RC2?
Not sure how to attach my log file here so I uploaded it to my google drive...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_2ePTw...sp=sharing

I see a lot of these types of errors...
ERROR: ffmpeg[E30]: [aac] element type mismatch 3 != 0

20:46:10 T:3632 ERROR: ffmpeg[E30]: [aac] element type mismatch 3 != 0
20:46:18 T:6844 ERROR: Previous line repeats 187 times.

Not sure if it was just from the movie I picked or what. But the driver stopped working error happens on every file I watch.

One thing to note.. I do not have this issue at all if my computer resolution is set to 1080p. But I do have 4K content and have a 4K TV and computer to support it. On the other popular program (Plex) I don't have this issue watching any of my content. It only happens when I watch on Kodi. I prefer Kodi so I would love to get this issue resolved.

Any help that you could give would be great!

Thank you!
Your google drive log works, you could also send it to a public pate-bin like http://xbmclogs.com/

I've actually seen this error on my system quite a few iterations back, fixed with an update of the gfx driver, which might be a clue (most of these grfx cards have enthusiast forums in whihc sometimes particularly puzzling issues are fielded by the manufacture.
I note that you are running a 4K desktop (at least from the log) and some of your videos are h265 which puts the graphics close to limits, although your set-up should handle it. If you have a joystick or an oddball controller, unplug it. You might want to hit the keyboard 'o' command while watching a video to see how the CPU & GPU are handling it all, and check for bottle necks and thresholds. I am a little suspect of the 4K encodes, (noting the audio issues) I've seen a few sour ones and it's early days in 4K media life. A silent debug will allow you to record the last moments, and shouldn't slow down the process.

The best I can suggest is to watch over the forums for others with this issue (at this point no one has bought me a 4K set-up) hopefully someone else with a clue will chime in.
Thanks for the info. So I got brave and thought you know what, let me backup my Kodi and do a clean install.

When I did a clean install and play files I didn't get the error. Here's the weird thing.. I imported the backup which just had my database and configuration information only (I did not include any addons or extras). When the import backup was complete and I restarted Kodi it had the same issue/error all over again. It must be something in my configuration settings.

So instead of dealing with trying to figure that out I decided to just start from scratch/new install. Seems like the issue is gone. I have my library back on it and my skin and my basic needed addons and it seems to work fine with no errors. I thought I would bring this to attention in case someone else encounters this issue down the line. At least they may feel more confident that if nothing else maybe a clean install might do the trick like it did in my case.

On a side note when I was running in debug mode I watched my 4 CPUS clock in at around 20-30% when running a 4K video. My system is very smooth as long as I don't enable DXVA2 acceleration. When I do enable it, it stutters/gets choppy. This seems to be a pretty common thing/setting when you look around on the 4K issues with Kodi.
To add, I just found the issue that does this on my setup.. "Adjust display refresh rate". It was off with the fresh install. Just enabled it (on start/stop) and it has started the error. If I turn it off it goes away.
Thanks for getting back to us with that tip, others have noted this but it shouldn't be. Wondering if you're multi-tasking in that you're running two displays, the monitor & TV at the same time, or are you swapping (the way you could lessen the effort on your GPU) Noting your observation regarding stuttering. It might be nice to edit this thread title to include the word [solved] so that others can try your solve.
Just edited, thanks! I only have one display hooked up to my HTPC. One more thing to add... if I change the setting for the refresh rate to "Always" the error also goes away. Seems like it only happens at 4K with the "start/stop" option selected. Sorta wished I would have known this before trying the fresh install. But it may help someone else down the line and I'm happy I don't have to live with the annoying popups anymore.