Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC WebServer skin for Pocket-PC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi guys.
akim of the evo-x.de forum has released his xbmc skin for pocket pc with windows mobile 2003.
this turns your ppc into an ultimate remote with bluetooth or wlan.
you can download it at http://www.allxboxskins.com
have fun.
:d
many thanks to onkel bouncy for posting this. i'm now also registered within this forum.

please see below for a screenshot of my skin as well as some "older" live in action pictures when i tried to get it going.

Image Image Image Image

this is a skin for the xbox media center web server. it is suppossed to be run on a pocket pc with windows mobile 2003. the purpose of this skin it to be able to control the xbmc within a local network (e.g. a local wlan) to be able to play music without turning on the television screen. therefore it is not supposed to do any other stuff where it makes more sense to use a remore control. the video part is there for the simple reason that i have a lot of music videos that i want to play just to sound to the music without the video. otherwise i would labeled this part also as "useless" :-)
this skin is based on the default skin that comes with xbmc and the images of the last default skin. i hope that this doesn't violate any copyrights and would like to thank the xbmc team for their great piece of software and encourage you to spread and modify this skin for your own use as well as for other people to enjoy.

cheers, akim
just edited the topic a bit because i dont think ppc is the correct short name for pocket pc's (ppc = a cpu)
(pike @ april 11 2004,18:25 Wrote:just edited the topic a bit because i dont think ppc is the correct short name for pocket pc's (ppc = a cpu)
well, within the pocket pc community (with a space between pocket and pc, so the current topic isn't 100% correct) it is a common short term to use when refering to a windows mobile device.
then i guess it's correct now Huh

that community may call it whatever they want, i just think it's confusing to "borrow" an already well known abbrevation.
hey akin,
1) great work. it's something i always had wanted.
2) however, i no loger have a pocketpc. i traded up for a palm tungsten c. your skin works perfectly in the free built-in brower which is palm web browser v2.0.1.1 however, it doesn't work as nicely in the non-free palm web browser pro v 3.0.1a. what doesn't work is that the background images don't show.

now for the requests:
the exit button turns off the xbox. i wasn't expecting this and i don't know if others are. not the the button should do anything else, but it should probably say 'off' or 'power'.
secondly, is there any queue/playlist support?

finally, if you change the name to not say ppc and say pda instead, a number of palm users will give it a shot who otherwise wouldn't have. nice work and thanks very much.
i don't own one but i know the sonyericsson p900 comes with a very competent web browser (and can run opera) so if this works for palm as well as pocket pc i wouldn't be surprised if it worx there as well. so why not make the topic "xbox media center for handhelds"? and now that there is xbmc 4 pc shouldn't the topic say something about it being a web remote access if you wanna be picky about it?
/floink (just adding to the confusion as always Image )
and btw, a great job akim!
(jaga @ april 11 2004,21:35 Wrote:  the exit button turns off the xbox. i wasn't expecting this and i don't know if others are. not the the button should do anything else, but it should probably say 'off' or 'power'.

secondly, is there any queue/playlist support?

finally, if you change the name to not say ppc and say pda instead, a number of palm users will give it a shot who otherwise wouldn't have. nice work and thanks very much.
hey ya,

well, the button says exit since the original button from the xbox media center itself says exit as well (actually it is the same button imagewise). therefore i didn't changed it, still i see your point and i might change it.

as for playlist support my guess would be that they should run without any problems if the playlists are localted in a folder within the music directory. they they should show up and work out of the box.

as for the name itself, basically i don't care how it is named. if it is for sure that it runs on alternate plattforms as well, that it is fine for me to give it another name. it was just that it was originally developed for a pocket pc to run with the implemented ie in windows mobile 2003. there are even other browsers out there for the pocket pc that might not give the same result as the integrated one. on the other hand, if we can start to collect the supported pda/os/browser combinations (we may do this in the this thread), we may add a list within a readme that would be part of the zip file, what do you think?

cheers, akim
(pike @ april 11 2004,18:40 Wrote:then i guess it's correct now  Huh

that community may call it whatever they want, i just think it's confusing to "borrow" an already well known abbrevation.
well, actually i think you are a little picky about this. even microsoft calls the devices ppc by itself (you can easily check within google) so it is not "that" community. so it don't see this as borrowed term.

on the other hand, this can easily we a discussion on who was first ... the egg or the chicken? Image

by they way ... dell makes the pocket pc's called x5 and x3, and if i'm correct bmw also makes the x5 and x3. Image

but, as i said in my previous post, i don't care how this skin is called. at the end of the day, it is simply a stupid skin with limited functionality for a very small group of users.
Quote:as for playlist support my guess would be that they should run without any problems if the playlists are localted in a folder within the music directory. they they should show up and work out of the box.

i think darkie re-did a lot of the webserver pages recently, and he added more features. such as you can add songs to your playlist and then see the playlist.

Quote:as for the name itself, basically i don't care how it is named. if it is for sure that it runs on alternate plattforms as well, that it is fine for me to give it another name. it was just that it was originally developed for a pocket pc to run with the implemented ie in windows mobile 2003. there are even other browsers out there for the pocket pc that might not give the same result as the integrated one. on the other hand, if we can start to collect the supported pda/os/browser combinations (we may do this in the this thread), we may add a list within a readme that would be part of the zip file, what do you think?

i think this is a neat project and should be incluced in the cvs [and the builds]. not to replace the web interface, but to go along with it. that being said, if you were to rewrite your links to be relative (if they aren't) it would be easy to include this in say web/pda/ (of course the developers would have to add it to cvs and agree). i'd call it 'pda web[server] skin for xbmc' and yes, let's start the known working platform list here. start with both palm tungsten c browsers although the pay one has to be in 'normal' mode.
how does one install this on a pocket pc?
(nunyabiziz @ april 21 2004,08:32 Wrote:how does one install this on a pocket pc?
you don't "install" anything on your pocketpc.

you install the web pages in your xbox xbmc/web/ folder, then you use the web browser on the ppc and direkt it to your xbox. eg. http://192.168.0.2/
thank you nickman