Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel Apollo Lake
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2017-01-18, 18:38)Kenni Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-18, 15:21)kekomat Wrote: [ -> ]Sooo, from what I could read on 3rd party Kodi boards this seems to be a problem regarding the HDMI 2.0 handshake. Switching on the TV first seemingly circumvents the problem. Maybe I will find time to give it a try tonight.
Later on, when I moved to a faster SSD and Libreelec instead of a full blown Ubuntu OS, I dropped using suspend to RAM, as starting from a cold boot was still quicker to boot up than my amplifier Smile

That's true, using an UEFI setup and booting LE from a SSD nearly renders suspend to RAM obsolete. Still nice to resume from where you left within Kodi though.

Test result (although quite some people over here seem to know already): Switching on the TV first gives a picture on the TV after a cold boot, unfortunately it is not working for waking up after suspend.

(2017-01-18, 19:02)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Just fixate the edid. Plenty of howtos for le, Ubuntu available.

Thanks for pointing out, I wasn't aware of that solution. Guess I will follow this tutorial then:

https://wiki.libreelec.tv/index.php?title=Custom_EDID
fritsch how did you get hevc10 working?
I don't understand the question. Context?
I've swapped my v1.4 HDMI cables for v2.0 but it didn't change anything.

I'm going to try the latest Milhouse build to see what happens.
(2017-01-19, 20:33)sublow Wrote: [ -> ]I've swapped my v1.4 HDMI cables for v2.0 but it didn't change anything.

I'm going to try the latest Milhouse build to see what happens.

Sounds like a weird compatibility issue with the new board and your TV. Most likely a combination of hardware, software and the TV.
suspend as i know dont work yet fully, maybe someting work but only on drm-nightly kernel in my build, they still working on it Wink
(from time to time i see commits arround suspend support and broxton GPU)
https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/15833/

anyway is no problem to cold boot from remote (RC6 compatible)

jus for test for people with EDID problem or with suspend latest build with some patches waiting for merge
https://www.sendspace.com/file/hy6n74

and here latest regular build
https://www.sendspace.com/file/xdgg5i
I've progressed with my issue so I thought I'd share to help others.

I got myself a DVI cable and a DVI > HDMI converter and I can now get 3840x2160p and audio!!!

Thanks raidflex and piotrasd for your help with fixing this.

I don't know if I'm looking through rose tinted glasses but I swear the picture looks better using DVI over HDMI?

Other positives are I can see post so I can get into the BIOS etc using the TV which I couldn't before.

The only slight negative is I can only get 30hz but that might be the cable?
With DVI -> HDMI there is only 3840x2160 @ 30p max.
(2017-01-20, 20:30)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]With DVI -> HDMI there is only 3840x2160 @ 30p max.

Yeah DVI does not have the bandwidth to do 4k@60Hz. Not a big deal now for the most part as there is very little content yet.
I don't have surround sound setup yet, so I am noob in it, but why are you using DVI->HDMI for bitstreaming HD audio (I know that with DP->HDMI 2.0 chip it doesn't work yet ), but what about the optical audio output on the J4205? That does not work also?
Optical cannot ship hd-audio. For DTS / AC3 it's fine, as is the HDMI 2.0 out.
(2017-01-20, 21:45)MarhyCZ Wrote: [ -> ]I don't have surround sound setup yet, so I am noob in it, but why are you using DVI->HDMI for bitstreaming HD audio (I know that with DP->HDMI 2.0 chip it doesn't work yet ), but what about the optical audio output on the J4205? That does not work also?

I was using it because my receiver does not support 4k so in order to get HD audio I needed to go out through DVI.
Ok. Thanks a lot for explanation.
(2017-01-20, 20:30)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]With DVI -> HDMI there is only 3840x2160 @ 30p max.

Just for completeness for other guys reading this (I know you know fritsch :-)):

This particular Intel GPU has two video outputs (relevant for our case):
1. HDMI 1.4 output, which is connected to DVI port on the mainboard's backplate
2. DisplayPort 1.2 output, which is connected to on-board DisplayPort->HDMI 2.0 converter and output of this converter is connected to HDMI port on the mainboard's backplate

So one can connect DVI->HDMI cable to the DVI-out of this mainboard, because this DVI-out is actually HDMI-out. It's HDMI 1.4 though and consequently max. refresh of HDMI 1.4 at 4K resolution is 30p.

Therefore 4K@30p is not some general limitation of DVI->HDMI, but it is limitation of this particular mainboard, because of it's implementation of DVI port.
(2017-01-23, 11:25)oo.viper.oo Wrote: [ -> ]Therefore 4K@30p is not some general limitation of DVI->HDMI, but it is limitation of this particular mainboard, because of it's implementation of DVI port.

Though it is also worth remembering that DVI (when connected DVI) usually runs 4:4:4 RGB. 2160/50p and above HDMI 2.0/2.0a output modes are YCbCr 4:2:0 and 4:2:2 only - you can't get 4:4:4 RGB 2160/50p or higher over HDMI 2.0/2.0a, only 2160/30p and below support that.

I don't know if there IS a 2160/50p DVI mode defined over a single-link connection (which is what most DVI outputs are, and what an HDMI->DVI passive connection will be)