Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel Apollo Lake
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I finally decided to pull the trigger and purchase the j4205-itx and of course new egg has been out of stock for weeks now, they seem to have the best price at $99.95. The j3455-itx is a good 35 bucks cheaper and in stock and I am wondering if there is much of a performance difference between the two for the purpose of pretty much just running Kodi?
No difference in the use of a mediaplayer. I have or had both
(2017-02-08, 07:48)flyingernst Wrote: [ -> ]No difference in the use of a mediaplayer. I have or had both

I doubt you would notice any difference, both have HW support for 4k. I would imagine there is maybe a 15% difference in general performance at most, but this would not affect video playback.
How are you guys getting codecinfo to show on these kodi 17 builds?
I even tried the Kore android app and when I hold info button nothing happens.
(2017-02-08, 16:34)raidflex Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-02-08, 07:48)flyingernst Wrote: [ -> ]No difference in the use of a mediaplayer. I have or had both

I doubt you would notice any difference, both have HW support for 4k. I would imagine there is maybe a 15% difference in general performance at most, but this would not affect video playback.

Thank you very much.
(2017-02-08, 22:00)Nekromantik Wrote: [ -> ]How are you guys getting codecinfo to show on these kodi 17 builds?
I even tried the Kore android app and when I hold info button nothing happens.
Pressing "o" (letter O) for codec info works fine in all versions, just program a key on your remote for that.

On another note, what's bugging me is the EPG, TV channel list is fine and does not change the Hz/Sync but the EPG changes it and screen flickers. I want to use 60hz as standard and whatch 50p TV signal. Starting the TV channel cahanges the screen to 50Hz which is fine for 50p but then pulling the EPG flickers the screen and changes back to 60Hz and after the EPG is pull down the screan goes back to 50Hz.
Change to 50Hz does solves this but still if the channel list works without Hz change so should the EPG also ...
I bet you have got the Kodi Refresh Rate Switching option set to - Always

Change to - Start / Stop and Bob's you Unkle it will all work Wink
(2017-02-09, 11:13)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]I bet you have got the Kodi Refresh Rate Switching option set to - Always

Change to - Start / Stop and Bob's you Unkle it will all work Wink

Thx, Have been using Kodi/Xbmc for last 8 years and i'm still a newbie Big Grin
(2017-02-04, 11:04)nightdreamer Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-31, 07:58)H8me Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys, regarding topic about compatibility of memory modules for ASRock J4205 ITX motherboard I report Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x4GB SO-DIMM DDR3L 1866MHz CL10 (BLS2C4G3N18AES4CEU) works only on frequency 1600MHz in dual-channel mode. It must be set manually in BIOS. Only one module is working when it is set AUTO or 1866MHz.in BIOS.

Hi! Same problem here with that Ballistix RAM modules, i am in contact with Asrock support and i hope they provide a fix for this.

I think the problem is more complex.

I have the same memory modules, pair of BLS2C4G3N18AES4CEU. They're certified for this board according to Crucial's web page and they do work flawlessly @ 1866Mhz in dual-channel mode. I run extensive memory tests of them with my ASRock J4205 ITX, >24 hours of Microsoft memory test embedded in Windows and >24 hours of Memtest86. My ASRock, being also used as NAS, has run with >1 month up-time without any issues.

But

Since the very beginning I had problem with this board to actually power up from cold stop (with power cord disconnected). Sometimes it got stuck in POST and required one or more resets to come up properly. But again, once it went up, it was working flawlessly (as stated in previous paragraph) and I could power it down and up again and all was good until I disconnected the power cord. I made following observations while troubleshooting it:
- I replaced lithium cell just to rule out problem with BIOS settings backup even though the former cell was ok according to voltmeter, this had no impact on the issue
- Using only single memory module as opposed to two modules did not have any impact
- Replacing picoPSU with big ATX PSU (to rule out issue with PSU) fixed this cold start issue and made the board powering up normally. But the picoPSU is ok, was used in my previous build for years, it was reliable and it is working reliable in different machine. And as stated in previous paragraph, once powered up, it's running fine. It's 120W picoPSU btw, so plenty of power for 10W TDP ASRock :-).

So I thought to myself "screw you", I can power it up after one or two resets and I keep it up all the time so it's not an issue for me. Well, there was short blackout in my location because of some construction in the neighbourhood, after 1 month of machine's up-time and then I couldn't power it up at all. Not with one module, not with big ATX PSU, not with anything I tried. So I had to RMA the board and now waiting for replacement.

And while I am waiting for replacement, I google around and I stumbled upon numerous reports of similar "cold power up" problems associated with ASRock boards in general, not just with J4205 ITX. There was one guy explaining that ASRock is not following ATX power specifications in their boards when it comes to powering them up from cold stop. It has something to do with right order of powering individual components like CPU, Memory, etc. They have to be powered up in specific order and with specific delays in between, otherwise system ends up with corrupted memory and cannot get past POST. ASRock is apparently using low quality capacitors which control these "delays in between" so it can happen that something is powered up faster than it should and it causes this kind of problems after cold start. If you're lucky, your capacitors have exactly right capacity and you have no problems. If you're unlucky, your capacitors have slightly different capacity and are occasionally causing this race condition. And here's where different types of PSUs come into play as well. Because picoPSU and similar DC/DC PSUs are generally very "fast" and they just immediately start supplying current at all the voltages after cold start. Big ATX PSUs may have bigger delays between individual voltages ramp-up and PSU delays may either compensate for the wrong delay from low-quality capacitor, or the other way round. It's just a matter of chance. This explains why earlier my board had problems starting with picoPSU, but it was starting just fine with big ATX PSU. Then after 1 month of up-time low-quality capacitor changed it's capacity ever so slightly, but enough so that I could no more power up the board with any type of PSU.

All the reports of similar ASRock cold power up phenomenon I stumbled upon on the Internet were successfully solved by board replacement.

Sorry for long post, it's not exactly related to Kodi or Apollo Lake in general, but as these ASRock Apollo Lake boards are so popular, chance is that people with similar problems would look into this thread and find this post and they'd know they're not alone :-)

Edit: Guess memory has to be powered up first and then CPU so that memory is live once powered-up CPU starts initialising it. Memory is powered by 3V rail, CPU by 12V rail, DC/DC PSU powers both at the same time, big ATX PSU may have slight delay on 12V rail...and you get the idea, lack of proper delay on board can be compensated by delay in PSU.
(2017-02-09, 14:58)oo.viper.oo Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-02-04, 11:04)nightdreamer Wrote: [ -> ]
(2017-01-31, 07:58)H8me Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys, regarding topic about compatibility of memory modules for ASRock J4205 ITX motherboard I report Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x4GB SO-DIMM DDR3L 1866MHz CL10 (BLS2C4G3N18AES4CEU) works only on frequency 1600MHz in dual-channel mode. It must be set manually in BIOS. Only one module is working when it is set AUTO or 1866MHz.in BIOS.

Hi! Same problem here with that Ballistix RAM modules, i am in contact with Asrock support and i hope they provide a fix for this.

I think the problem is more complex.

I have the same memory modules, pair of BLS2C4G3N18AES4CEU. They're certified for this board according to Crucial's web page and they do work flawlessly @ 1866Mhz in dual-channel mode. I run extensive memory tests of them with my ASRock J4205 ITX, >24 hours of Microsoft memory test embedded in Windows and >24 hours of Memtest86. My ASRock, being also used as NAS, has run with >1 month up-time without any issues.

But

Since the very beginning I had problem with this board to actually power up from cold stop (with power cord disconnected). Sometimes it got stuck in POST and required one or more resets to come up properly. But again, once it went up, it was working flawlessly (as stated in previous paragraph) and I could power it down and up again and all was good until I disconnected the power cord. I made following observations while troubleshooting it:
- I replaced lithium cell just to rule out problem with BIOS settings backup even though the former cell was ok according to voltmeter, this had no impact on the issue
- Using only single memory module as opposed to two modules did not have any impact
- Replacing picoPSU with big ATX PSU (to rule out issue with PSU) fixed this cold start issue and made the board powering up normally. But the picoPSU is ok, was used in my previous build for years, it was reliable and it is working reliable in different machine. And as stated in previous paragraph, once powered up, it's running fine. It's 120W picoPSU btw, so plenty of power for 10W TDP ASRock :-).

So I thought to myself "screw you", I can power it up after one or two resets and I keep it up all the time so it's not an issue for me. Well, there was short blackout in my location because of some construction in the neighbourhood, after 1 month of machine's up-time and then I couldn't power it up at all. Not with one module, not with big ATX PSU, not with anything I tried. So I had to RMA the board and now waiting for replacement.

And while I am waiting for replacement, I google around and I stumbled upon numerous reports of similar "cold power up" problems associated with ASRock boards in general, not just with J4205 ITX. There was one guy explaining that ASRock is not following ATX power specifications in their boards when it comes to powering them up from cold stop. It has something to do with right order of powering individual components like CPU, Memory, etc. They have to be powered up in specific order and with specific delays in between, otherwise system ends up with corrupted memory and cannot get past POST. ASRock is apparently using low quality capacitors which control these "delays in between" so it can happen that something is powered up faster than it should and it causes this kind of problems after cold start. If you're lucky, your capacitors have exactly right capacity and you have no problems. If you're unlucky, your capacitors have slightly different capacity and are occasionally causing this race condition. And here's where different types of PSUs come into play as well. Because picoPSU and similar DC/DC PSUs are generally very "fast" and they just immediately start supplying current at all the voltages after cold start. Big ATX PSUs may have bigger delays between individual voltages ramp-up and PSU delays may either compensate for the wrong delay from low-quality capacitor, or the other way round. It's just a matter of chance. This explains why earlier my board had problems starting with picoPSU, but it was starting just fine with big ATX PSU. Then after 1 month of up-time low-quality capacitor changed it's capacity ever so slightly, but enough so that I could no more power up the board with any type of PSU.

All the reports of similar ASRock cold power up phenomenon I stumbled upon on the Internet were successfully solved by board replacement.

Sorry for long post, it's not exactly related to Kodi or Apollo Lake in general, but as these ASRock Apollo Lake boards are so popular, chance is that people with similar problems would look into this thread and find this post and they'd know they're not alone :-)

Edit: Guess memory has to be powered up first and then CPU so that memory is live once powered-up CPU starts initialising it. Memory is powered by 3V rail, CPU by 12V rail, DC/DC PSU powers both at the same time, big ATX PSU may have slight delay on 12V rail...and you get the idea, lack of proper delay on board can be compensated by delay in PSU.

Yeah weird issue, I use my J4205 with a pico PSU and have no issues from a cold start (plugged in), but I also don't unplug it much. The times I have had to, I have not experienced the same issue. I am using 2x8GB DDR3 1600 memory with no issues, I think its Kingston but I just threw in what I had laying around. It sounds like you may just have a bad board, hopefully the new board does not have the same issue.
users with some 4k modes problem etc. please check this build
https://www.sendspace.com/file/bjjd6r/4e...76b1b5d867 if we still need some manual fixes
Hi all
Is there any release date for the NUC? Done a few searches and any find any release from intel .
Cheers
That NUC? http://geizhals.de/intel-nuc-kit-nuc6cay...45554.html It's there since some weeks.
The cold start problem is fixed with the newest BIOS. Tested on 4205. I don't understand the ram problem. I tested 4205 and 3455 with ddr1600 and 1866 in single channel and dual channel mode, both worked fine. I was unsure about if the booting problem on cold (unplugged) start was a stability problem but prime 95 always was stable.
Was there another new bios in the last days? Or the one linked some weeks ago?