Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Intel Apollo Lake
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The MCDP2800 firmware upgrade fixed the playback of these 7.1 formats for me in Windows, but not in Linux.

The firmware upgrade tool from Intel is actually a tool made by someone else (Megachips). Maybe it can work for people who have some other mainboard than a NUC as well... Provided it has the MCDP2800 LSPCon of course.
I can confirm that the FW Update does not resolve the issue on linux (Tested with Asrock J4205). Maybe this is now driver related?
You flash the Firmware succesfull in your asrock board?
yes!
(2017-02-25, 09:37)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Take this TrueHD file: http://fritsch.fruehberger.net/samples/h...-DWEU.m2ts

Dts-HD did work?

Thanks for the file! I tested all the HD Audio formats now and none of them work under LibreELEC (Linux). It works with Windows 10 though.... so there is still hope Wink
That's no surprise at all - as you know from the posted bugreport here - it's a kernel driver issue and as long as the referenced bugreport does not get any news nothing won't happen.
(2017-02-25, 13:39)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]That's no surprise at all - as you know from the posted bugreport here - it's a kernel driver issue and as long as the referenced bugreport does not get any news nothing won't happen.

Well, we did see the same problem in Windows 10 and it started to work after the LSPCon firmware update without any change to the driver. Thus I don't think it was unreasonable to assume that there was a slight chance that it'd start working on Linux as well after the firmware update.

But yes, that was not the case, so you must be right. Smile
Yes, there was a chance - but from reading the kernel code I think the bits are just not there yet that would make it work ... the nucblog guy posted in the bugreport - let's see what we get.
(2017-02-23, 13:25)Dr.Feelgood Wrote: [ -> ]3455-itx & 4205-itx are the ones with HDMI 2.0

The only difference between these seems to be 6 EUs and 50 MHz in the graphics. Can anyone explain what this means in practical performance terms? Thanks.
The 6 EUs more does not mean too much in the sense of kodi. The problem is if you have too few of them in total.

That was the big issue with for example the Baytrail back at that time was that its 4 EUs in sum were too slow to even do 720p to 1080p upscaling in decent quality. In combination with post processing (MADI) it reached its limits ...

So for the J3445 that's not a problem as there are enough EUs. I'd just go with the cheaper 3445 and yeah if it sucks in one year from now - get the next generation at the same price.
So I've been reading this thread, but I have to request: please, to all owners of a ASRock Apollo Lake board (especially J4205-ITX), state if your board always, not always, or never boots up.

I own a J4205-ITX. The issue I have with it is that it refuses to properly boot. I can only get it to boot by applying a dodgy trick. The dodgy trick is a specific sequence that goes as followed:

1. I power up the device by plugging it into the mains. Power LED briefly lights up, and then shuts off.
  2. I pull the connector of the power switch off the motherboard header. Nothing happens (as expected).
  3. I reconnect the power switch connector to the motherboard header. LED lights up solid, then a few seconds later it starts to flash with 5 seconds interval between each flash.
  4. I disconnect the power switch connector from the motherboard header. LED stops flashing, shows a solid colour, and a few seconds later, the system has booted properly into BIOS/UEFI.
  5. I reconnect the power switch connector to the motherboard header. System shuts off.
  6. I disconnect the power switch connector from the motherboard header. Nothing happens (as expected).
  7. I reconnect the power switch connector to the motherboard header, and press the power button. Nothing happens.
Now the system totally refuses to POST, even when I dis-and reconnect the power switch connector. The only way I can get it to POST, is to take the system off the mains for 1 minute, then reconnect it to the mains, and rinse and repeat the process written above. The process written above must be followed through literally exactly step by step, otherwise there's no way for the system to POST.

BIOS vers = 1.20
My ASRock J4205 never had any issue. It always powers up without an issue.

PowerSupply / Memory Issue?
(2017-02-24, 15:04)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Uploaded 8.0.0 final LE versions with hevc. Again: Technology demo only.

thanks
(2017-02-24, 15:04)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Uploaded 8.0.0 final LE versions with hevc. Again: Technology demo only.

Huge thanks... Smile It works brilliantly with a NUC6CAYH + your LibreELEC build + a xorg.conf file to enable DRI3 (to get smooth menu animations).

Best regards
Kenni
Enabling DRI3 is all? Or do you need something else?

I can add it by default if it really helps. But post me your Xorg.0.log with the changes and describe a bit what you have with the default, please.