Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [REQUEST] BBC iPlayer (Video) Plugin or Script?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Iplayer script works great, but I'm quite keen to get streaming working. I've got a file/media/development server in the house, and so am looking at running it on that. (It runs ubuntu)

I've put the python scripts on the server, and can run them fine ... but with errors you'd expect.

Default.py dies - lots of missing bits. If I comment out the imports for xbmc stuff, it loads, but then references the missing modules later, and dies.

I can run iplayer.py fine - looks like it'll download programs etc for me.

But if I run iplayer_server.py directly, it crashes, looks like various things need instantiating first. I've tried hacking it up a bit with copy/pastes from other places.

Is there an existing way to do what I want, from this thread it looks like there might be ... but not sure.
benlumley Wrote:Iplayer script works great, but I'm quite keen to get streaming working. I've got a file/media/development server in the house, and so am looking at running it on that. (It runs ubuntu)

default.py is completely XBMC-specific, which is why it won't work for you. It's tided directly into XBMC's GUI, but doesn't contain any of the iPlayer API code.

iplayer.py is probably the most useful to you at the moment, even though it's quite cumbersome.

As for iplayer_server.py, I think I may have made some changes last week that broke the server module, I'll look at that during the weekend. However, it should do what you're looking for, provided you don't mind looking up the appropriate PIDs and constructing the URLs yourself. Someone could write a web frontend to make this process more pleasant, but I'm concentrating solely on XBMC for now.
frumpy_uk Wrote:Top. I'll give it a test drive shortly. Interesting offer to go and talk to the beeb by the way. Hope they're not going to throw a sack over your head and take you away for "questioning"....Wink

Yep, now works for me. Thanks!

Paul
I completely love the BBC iPlayer script ... I've cleaned down my dusty old Xbox just to give it a try.

Can someone tell me if I can configure the iPlayer script to read and/or write to a shared folder (samba?) on my WinXP PC?

I've tried all permeations of the following ...
Code:
SAVE_DIR = "smb://WORKGROUP/SERVER/SHARE/iplayer_downloads"
... but with no success.

To be honest I don't even know if XBMC can write to these shares or not (wouldn't it be great if they could) ... but I'd excpect it to at least be able to read from it. If I get the above code wrong then the script won't even start, so I think my mod is correct.

It would be great to be able to 'browse' for a save directory rather than hack the script, any ideas if this is in the feature request list (where ever that resides)? For now I'd settle for having 2 instances of the script, one saving to the xbox, the other to the share. Then I could download to the xbox, transfer to the share with the file manager, then run the second script to play from the share. (I only have a basic 8GB original HDD see. I could upgrade it but I'd rather invest in a NAS ... hence the extended relevance of my question).

Thanks for listening, this is all a bit new to me. Let's hope the streaming can be fixed then all this is defunct.

Regards ... Matt
Matt, support for saving to network drives is not something I plan to add, nor do I know if it's supported anyway!
Thanks for the prompt reply johnsto, how about just reading then? (Maybe it can but I just don't know how?) Maybe the script could have separate SAVE_DIR and READ_DIR definitions? Just an idea.

Alternatively, would you recommend getting a big HDD and effectively turn my xbox into a NAS? Is there anything to stop me downloading on the PC and transferring to the xbox, or is there some magic being played by your script?

I couldn't hope to write a script anything like this myself so I've the upmost respect for those who can and do ... they are most gratefully received.

Regards ... Matt
Erm, now I'm confused as to what you want to achieve. Wherever the script saves programmes it has to read them from again. If you want to read videos from other locations, why not just use XBMC's normal interface?
OK, I didn't realise that, I thought the script may be unlocking the files somehow. I am an idiot. Another couple of ideas if you want them ... thou' I'm not saying they are good ones (1) ability to mark several files for consecutive download (2) ability to delete downloads directly from the 'downloads' view (3) ability to cache program lists to save time when skipping between menus. Feel free to dismiss if already covered. Thanks ... Matt
Hi, i haven't been able to get this script to work yet. the show list downloads fine but when i select a show, a message says "error encountered during operation: MP4 not available for requested programme" then when i click OK, it says "starting download..." then it stays on that and nothing happens, when i click cancel my xbox freezes and i have to reboot. This happens for any programme that i select. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks, AlmightyG
MattCook Wrote:Thanks for the prompt reply johnsto, how about just reading then? (Maybe it can but I just don't know how?) Maybe the script could have separate SAVE_DIR and READ_DIR definitions? Just an idea.

Alternatively, would you recommend getting a big HDD and effectively turn my xbox into a NAS? Is there anything to stop me downloading on the PC and transferring to the xbox, or is there some magic being played by your script?

I couldn't hope to write a script anything like this myself so I've the upmost respect for those who can and do ... they are most gratefully received.

Regards ... Matt

I believe it *is* possible but I'm not quite sure how (I'm sure other scripts have done this in the past) perhaps there is a library you will need to import first?)

An alternative might be running an FTP server on your compute and configuring the script to send the files by FTP.

Worst case you can transfer the files on samba manually. Still it would be good if it could save to samba shares due to HD limitations but I can understand J's reluctance to code it.

Anyone else care to pick up the torch on exactly what needs modified? :-D
MattCook Wrote:OK, I didn't realise that, I thought the script may be unlocking the files somehow. I am an idiot. Another couple of ideas if you want them ... thou' I'm not saying they are good ones (1) ability to mark several files for consecutive download (2) ability to delete downloads directly from the 'downloads' view (3) ability to cache program lists to save time when skipping between menus. Feel free to dismiss if already covered. Thanks ... Matt

1. I'll think about that, but I really don't want this to become a download manager!

2. You can do that already. Just select a programme and it should pop up with a dialog of options, one of which is 'delete'.

3. It already caches programmes. The slow bit is in requesting the search results from the BBC and then scraping the page to get the ones that haven't been cached yet.
AlmightyG Wrote:a message says "error encountered during operation: MP4 not available for requested programme" then when i click OK, it says "starting download..." then it stays on that and nothing happens, when i click cancel my xbox freezes and i have to reboot.

Could you please make sure you're running the latest script (7th April) and if the error is still occurring, generate a system debug log and post it up (as previously described in this thread)
AlmightyG Wrote:Hi, i haven't been able to get this script to work yet. the show list downloads fine but when i select a show, a message says "error encountered during operation: MP4 not available for requested programme" then when i click OK, it says "starting download..." then it stays on that and nothing happens, when i click cancel my xbox freezes and i have to reboot. This happens for any programme that i select. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks, AlmightyG
Almighty G : It sounds a little like the problems I was having. Make sure you're using the very latest version of the script. And you might want to check that the location in which the script tries to save your files is appropriate for your setup.

cheers
Paul
Thanks for the responses guys, ill give that a try and post some further details.
Cheers,
AlmightyG
I just got the latest version and i worked first time. dunno what went wrong before? Thanks guys for the help.
AlmightyG