Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [REQUEST] BBC iPlayer (Video) Plugin or Script?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anybody seen this yet ?

Quote:BBC (Manchester or London, UK)

Posted 21-June-2008

Job Description Software Engineer, BBC - in London or Manchester, UK.

This post closes 1700 GMT Monday 23rd June 2008 This is a half time (17.5hr/week) post working on a new project for the BBC in conjunction with 20 other European partners. Regular travel. Some remote working is acceptable.

The work involves development, delivery and integration of code for a new research project (called 'p2p-next') alongside partners and colleagues. This is a European Union 7th Framework funded project aiming to deliver live P2P TV/ audio to cross platform clients and devices (Mac, GNU/Linux, Windows, Set top box), alongside an interaction layer, billing and other features.

Main code base for client and server is written mainly in Python running on GNU/Linux. It is expected that interfaces, APIs and bindings to other languages will be produced. Good knowledge of near Real time/ broadcast levels of response and reliability are desired. Working with distributed teams (across countries and different organisations) is essential. Role will be embedded in and part of in a new team within BBC Research and Innovation.

Deliverables include front end GUI work, back end server work, ingest of AV content from broadcast stream or from disk, end user management, recommendation engines and more. Agile/ XP development experience much appreciated. Regular code releases and constant change are to be expected.

Any experience with STB OEMs or low-resource devices would be good

This is a half-time post - 2.5 days/week, which equates to 17.5 hours. Hours are flexible but some travel, and regular release sprints, are involved.

More info, development process and source code is here http://www.tribler.org/downloads/19 and http://www.tribler.org/TriblerSoftwareProcess Some information about the project is available here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2..._next.html

* Contact: George Wright, Portfolio Manager, BBC Research and Innovation
* Email: [email protected]
* Phone: +4420 7580 4468 x50850
* Web: http://jobs.bbc.co.uk/fe/tpl_bbc01.asp?s...5125698**: url for more information.
* BBC Recruitment information: All these are UK numbers- 0870 333 1330. Textphone 02890 328 478.Ceefax page 696.

Hmmm ?
FYI; RTMP streaming is now supported in all XBMC platforms, see:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=32114
Thanks to the XBMC Team !!
Thanks again to everyone who's hard work went into this. Much appreciated folks!

There's a reason XBMC kicks the ass of every other mediaplayer out there hands down - and it's you guys Wink
I'm gonna have a play this weekend, see if iPlayer RTMP streams are now playable. If I can get it to work, I'll get a rough new script uploaded - 'rough' as I'll still need to update it when the new iPlayer site leaves beta.
Any news? I am really hoping this works as some of the iplayer content is excellent.
dubstar_04 Wrote:Any news? I am really hoping this works as some of the iplayer content is excellent.

Unfortunately I'm having trouble getting the latest XBMC builds to run on my machine - all sorts of annoying randr and segmentation fault issues! So have been unable to test anything at all I'm afraid.
johnsto Wrote:Unfortunately I'm having trouble getting the latest XBMC builds to run on my machine - all sorts of annoying randr and segmentation fault issues! So have been unable to test anything at all I'm afraid.

No Worries,

good things sometimes take a bit longer ;-)

I bet everybody is gratefull for your work anyway
johnsto Wrote:Unfortunately I'm having trouble getting the latest XBMC builds to run on my machine - all sorts of annoying randr and segmentation fault issues! So have been unable to test anything at all I'm afraid.

That's annoying...*scratches head*...guess that's a question for the devs.

You trying to run it on linux? Might boot my machine into kubuntu and install XBMC linux to see if I get similar problems this evening. Mind you not having a propper internet connection limits the amount of that stuff I'm doing....New flat woes. No internet. All those wonderful streaming plugins on my xbox and I've nothing to watch.

Will hopefully escape from the technological dark age soon!

TheBoxMan.
I'm sure it's an issue with my nVidia drivers and X11 config, rather than XBMC. Just need to work out exactly what the offending material is...
johnsto Wrote:I'm sure it's an issue with my nVidia drivers and X11 config, rather than XBMC. Just need to work out exactly what the offending material is...

I'm sure you'll already have considered this but just incase: have you thought about attempting to use a different platform?

Eg if using XBMC linux to develop try it in windows (using the exe for windows that's in the archives, also if you install python including IDLE etc on windows you'll find it quite handy for developing) if you're using windows try on linux.

If you don't already have linux, and don't want to install it a Live CD might help.

Given you're pretty adept at python my guess would be you're currently using linux given python doesn't even need compiled in linux Wink

Anyways as I say I'm sure you'll have considered that already but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Might perhaps be a work around for your driver problems given both windows and linux will likely use different drivers.

Just a thought.
Ok, well with a limping X11 server that thinks I have two displays when I really just have the one, I just managed to get an RTMP iPlayer stream working.

Awesome Smile
Amazing, when do you think you can have a working script again?
With streaming support do you think you'll remove saving the file from the script?
Wishing you the best with this..Big Grin
PaperClipMonkey
paperclipmonkey Wrote:Amazing, when do you think you can have a working script again?
With streaming support do you think you'll remove saving the file from the script?
Wishing you the best with this..Big Grin
PaperClipMonkey

Well, here are the things I need to do:
- rewrite the iplayer.py library (no more screen-scraping!)
- strip down the XBMC script (remove all the 'download programme' stuff)
- rewire the two together again

I'm aiming for a basic working script released at the weekend, which'll let you browse the various channels and select a programme, but won't have categories or searching. But it should be enough for now.
I cant wait streaming bbc content will be sweet and with now option to download the beeb will be happier and more supportive to get xbmc as an officially support app would be grate publicity for us