Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [REQUEST] BBC iPlayer (Video) Plugin or Script?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
the development of this RTMP protocol would be very good for video plugins in general. The xbox seems to be the platform of choice for plugin developers for three main reasons. It has a strong user base with mature python implementation and streamed video off the net is about as far away from HD as you can get.

its great that team developed this fantastic plugin functionality but to attract and retain talents pugin developers. Things like RTMP steaming need to be added as this increases the scope of what they can do.

Evidence of this can be see from XBMC own skinning engine which is being constantly improved to help skiners. consequently we are now seeing some realy exiting skins coming out. Any how I really really hope Atlantis has the same feature set across all platforms.

ps

has RTMP not working on Xbox reported as a bug yet? I couldn't see it on Track
You can try putting it on trac, but it's not really a bug imo... it's just a missing feature. The backporting of RTMP wasn't ever really completed from what I understand, its still missing some key functions that are required to obtain the location of the actual media.
rwparris2 Wrote:@marlboroman1: It has always been my experience that if you ask specific questions the dev team will answer them. There is already a thread in one of the Dev-only sections regarding RTMP that would be appropriate to start asking for help.
That is correct, and this topic thread about iPlayer is the wrong place to ask those questions about RTMP as the limitation is not in the iPlayer script (which works in XBMC for Linux, Mac, and Windows) but in XBMC for Xbox, so instead please refer all RTMP specific discussion to this other existing thread => http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=32114

...continuing the RTMP discussion here in the iPlayer thread is really thread hijacking.

Thank you in advance for understanding this.

rwparris2 Wrote:You can try putting it on trac, but it's not really a bug imo... it's just a missing feature.
Correct, it is classified as a feature request in XBMC for Xbox (not a bug), ....feature requests should be posted to trac as well.
Just a heads-up - I (finally) got around to updating the plugin for the tweaked iPlayer so it should work again now.

Well, on RTMP-enabled platforms anyway Smile
Thanks John! I submitted a bug report to Trac, and it has since been verified that this is a bug on the Xbox and not a feature request as mentioned above. Us Xbox users can hopefully look forward to using the plugin soon!
johnsto Wrote:Just a heads-up - I (finally) got around to updating the plugin for the tweaked iPlayer so it should work again now.

Well, on RTMP-enabled platforms anyway Smile

Just tried this new version 200808221345 with Plex 0.5 RC3 on a Mac. This is the first version (of three) I have tried that actually gets somewhere. I can now select a channel and a day and get some programmes listed. When I chose one of those programmes it does play successfully.

However there are on average about 50 programmes a day listed on iPlayer and this plugin initially says "retrieving 1 of 50" but ends up only listing 4 or less. Worse still it seems to list the same programmes for all seven days!

It maybe that upon scanning the plugin determines that either many programmes are not available at all (e.g. Films are not on the iPlayer), or that many programmes are not available in streaming MP4 format. However this does not explain why the same results are returned for every day.

So close, but no cigar. Sad
jelockwood Wrote:However there are on average about 50 programmes a day listed on iPlayer and this plugin initially says "retrieving 1 of 50" but ends up only listing 4 or less. Worse still it seems to list the same programmes for all seven days!

Thanks, I didn't test too thoroughly so not surprised really!

Not sure why this is happening. It seems to let me list an entire day fine, but after that only gets to 3 or 4 programmes... intriguing...

Will have a deeper peek soon.

Sorry it isn't working too well right now.
Just noticed the 'Select day' options are all identical as the BBC RSS feeds don't seem to support it anymore.
johnsto Wrote:Just noticed the 'Select day' options are all identical as the BBC RSS feeds don't seem to support it anymore.

I have now tried it with XBMC Atlantis for Mac and it does get all the programmes but as we have both discovered it gets all the programmes for all 7 days since it cannot differentiate between days. Strangely now when I try it with Plex it also gets all the programmes (again for all days). I guess I must have caught the Beeb when they were doing some maintenance earlier.

So the only problem is not being able to list a specific day. I hope you succeed in remedying that. As the BBC seem 'ok' about your plugin, if you have any contacts with them maybe they will reinstate any needed support.
This seems like a stupid basic question, but after going up and down the prceding 46 pages of posts, I can't see the answer.

Basically - how do you run this?

I am using the latest stable XBMC on XP, downloaded the latest iplayer zip and unzipped the files into a folder called 'iplayer' in 'scripts'. It appears in the XBMC listing under scripts and when clicked it says (running) for a second or so. right clicking to see the debug info gives:

File "C:\Program Files\XBMC\scripts\iplayer\default.py", line 150, in?
print sys.argv
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'argv'

Am I doing something stupid?

Thanks in advance ...
StewRat Wrote:Basically - how do you run this?

The current version is a plugin only, which means you should extract it to /plugins/video/iplayer

Then on the XBMC Video menu, use 'Add Source' to add the plugin to the list of video sources. I can't remember the exact procedure, but it's fairly self-explanatory and there are docs and wiki pages on XBMC Plugins that will explain it better than me!

A proper script version is coming (with custom GUI and everything), but for now the plugin is easier to maintain which is why that's come first.
Just a heads up - some Boxee users have managed to get this running under Boxee: http://forum.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=202&page=3

(Boxee is the XBMC team's current Alpha-stage project)
johnsto Wrote:The current version is a plugin only, which means you should extract it to /plugins/video/iplayer

Then on the XBMC Video menu, use 'Add Source' to add the plugin to the list of video sources.

Very helpful thanks - have moved a significant step on, but then hit another problem. Basically the plugin is hanging when I click on a station (any station) having drilled down past the "iplayer" layer.

This happens 1) if I add the iplayer level as the source, and then navigate past it to play a station, or 2) if I try to add the station level as the source. In both cases, as soon as I click on any station (BBC One, CBeebies etc), it freezes.

In both cases the activity in the log looks the same, with the problem apparently being a Win32 exception:
Code:
13:38:23 T:3844 M:179994624    INFO: ['plugin://video/iplayer/', '1', '?path=bbc_one']
13:38:23 T:3844 M:179994624    INFO:
13:38:23 T:3844 M:179994624    INFO: (<iplayer2.channel object at 0x04A6CAD0>, None, None)
13:38:23 T:3844 M:179994624    INFO:
13:38:23 T:3844 M:179994624   DEBUG: LoadLibraryA('ws2_32')
13:38:23 T:3844 M:179990528   DEBUG: LoadLibrary('ws2_32.dll') returning: 00C28958
13:38:23 T:3844 M:179990528   DEBUG: dllGetProcAddress(00C28958(ws2_32.dll), 'getaddrinfo') => 0046F6E0
13:38:23 T:3844 M:179990528   DEBUG: dllGetProcAddress(00C28958(ws2_32.dll), 'getaddrinfo') => 0046F6E0
13:38:23 T:3844 M:179990528   DEBUG: dllGetProcAddress(00C28958(ws2_32.dll), 'getnameinfo') => 0046F700
13:38:23 T:3844 M:179990528   DEBUG: dllGetProcAddress(00C28958(ws2_32.dll), 'freeaddrinfo') => 0046F730
13:38:23 T:3844 M:181125120   ERROR: CThread::staticThread : Win32 exception (code:0xc000001d) at 0x004719e4

Does that give any clues as to the source of the problem?
Strawp Wrote:Boxee is the XBMC team's current Alpha-stage project
huh, what does that mean? Boxee is a fork of XBMC with some added features/functions. Team XBMC does not make Boxee.
http://xbmc.org/blog/2008/05/30/announci...-by-boxee/

It was actually Team Boxee who made the RTMP code, and we then copied it to XBMC for Linux/Mac/Windows.
Finally checked out windows xbmc, the streams halt about 30 seconds in.

Everything else runs fine, it starts playback then we get the hang.

John,

Couldn`t find the playback sequence in your code - all of my plugins produce the same error when i try to play streams.

couldn`t load libcurl etc