Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [REQUEST] BBC iPlayer (Video) Plugin or Script?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
frosty Wrote:johnsto: "DEBUG: unknown packet type received: 0x16" isn't a problem with your script - it's a way a flash server can send audio&video that's not currently supported in the XBMC implementation.
I've worked a little on a patch to add it, and while I've had some success I'm not entirely convinced it's right yet. If you could let me know which stream you were attempting to play, I'll have a look.

That's what I figured - combined with the fact my version of XBMC is outdated (Alpha4), that's prolly why everything stopped working.

It happens with every single Flash stream I've tried to access using the plugin. Unfortunately, because of the authorisation that the beeb use, I can't just give you URLs, you have to run the plugin yourself to get them (they're all saved out to iplayer2.log) or use the Python iplayer2.py library in an interpreter to get them manually.
Hi - sorry to bump this, but you do you guys know about this wiki?

http://beebhack.wikia.com/wiki/IPlayer_TV

It's a hub for people hacking on stuff like the iPlayer. I've used some of the scripts and tricks on there to download and play mp4 files on my Ubuntu PC. Would an XBMC plugin using some of their code be possible?
johnsto Wrote:That's what I figured - combined with the fact my version of XBMC is outdated (Alpha4), that's prolly why everything stopped working.

It happens with every single Flash stream I've tried to access using the plugin. Unfortunately, because of the authorisation that the beeb use, I can't just give you URLs, you have to run the plugin yourself to get them (they're all saved out to iplayer2.log) or use the Python iplayer2.py library in an interpreter to get them manually.

The 200808221345 version is currently working fine in both Plex 0.5.18 and XBMC Atlantis Alpha 4 both on the same Mac mini running Mac OS X 10.5.4

More recent versions don't work.

Is this another example of "It just works" with a Mac? Wink
gilgongo Wrote:do you guys know about this wiki?

http://beebhack.wikia.com/wiki/IPlayer_TV

It's a hub for people hacking on stuff like the iPlayer. I've used some of the scripts and tricks on there to download and play mp4 files on my Ubuntu PC. Would an XBMC plugin using some of their code be possible?

The first XBMC iPlayer script used this very method to get programmes, but unfortunately required the entire programme to be downloaded first (it couldn't stream) and had to be updated frequently as the BBC change the authentication mechanism.

It's also naughty and a pain, which is why I decided to drop that approach and concentrate on streaming now that XBMC does RTMP.

jelockwood Wrote:The 200808221345 version is currently working fine in both Plex 0.5.18 and XBMC Atlantis Alpha 4 both on the same Mac mini running Mac OS X 10.5.4

More recent versions don't work.

Is this another example of "It just works" with a Mac? Wink

I've not a clue. It's driving me mad, I can't get a single program to stream without the unknown packet error. Old plugin or new plugin, Alpha4 build or SVN build, Windows or Linux, PC at home or PC at work, same thing on every stream. It's like it's haunting me.

I'll put the old authentication mechanism back into the next release of the plugin, maybe that'll mean everyone who hasn't got a BBC poltergeist will be able to use it again without reverting to an old version.
Right, I've added the old mediaselector code to the plugin, here's the SVN version. Give it a go if the old version (080822) works but the latest one doesn't.

http://xbmc-iplayer.googlecode.com/svn/t...plugin.zip

If it doesn't, please provide a system debug log and also iplayer2.log!
johnsto: I've tried xbmc-iplayer-plugin-200809152054.zip with my svn build (around rev 15562) on Windows. I don't get any 0x16 packets from any of several BBC progs I've tried... I think you've been cursed Wink

The stream URLs I was getting looked like this (are yours coming from a different server?):
rtmp://92.122.210.150:1935/ondemand?_fcs_vhost=cp41752.edgefcs.net&auth=daEdkajdgaobbdwaVbbdHbPb2aqcNaFcLcJ-bi0cbZ-cCp-BnuGGnAoGEpEuxD&aifp=v001&slist=secure/b000ddwjp-streaming91641171

I've a patch adding packet type 0x16 that works for me on this: rtmp://gffstream.fcod.llnwd.net/a792/e2/ard/tv/ard/lindenstrasse?slist=1179_384k
I can drop you a diff if you can build yourself? There's parts I don't understand properly so I don't want to submit it yet.

PS. Have you looked into using the 'high quality' streams now available for some progs?
johnsto Wrote:Right, I've added the old mediaselector code to the plugin, here's the SVN version. Give it a go if the old version (080822) works but the latest one doesn't.

http://xbmc-iplayer.googlecode.com/svn/t...plugin.zip

If it doesn't, please provide a system debug log and also iplayer2.log!

This version locks up in the same way as post 080822 versions. If you tell me how to get those logs and where to send them I am happy to help.
Oh crap! Sad

After trying your latest revision, I reverted back to 20080822 to retest and this time it locks up the same way in both Plex and XBMC.

Some time ago 20080822 had been having problems as I previously reported but this week had been working fine. It therefore looks like the Beeb are playing silly buggers and deliberately breaking your plugin despite their professing indifference over such projects. Angry

If you have access maybe you need to packet sniff Mac or iPhone playing an iPlayer programme. Or can Windows access the streams as well?
I've added a patch to increase the number of streams that can play successfully to http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4905 . This should fix any currently showing "unknown packet type received: 0x16" in the debug log.

Tonight I'm getting 0x16 packets in the iplayer streams, from server 77.67.4.21:1935. Go figure... perhaps they're using different streaming software on different servers.
frosty Wrote:The stream URLs I was getting looked like this (are yours coming from a different server?):
rtmp://92.122.210.150:1935/ondemand?_fcs_vhost=cp41752.edgefcs.net&auth=daEdkajdgaobbdwaVbbdHbPb2aqcNaFcLcJ-bi0cbZ-cCp-BnuGGnAoGEpEuxD&aifp=v001&slist=secure/b000ddwjp-streaming91641171

And here's one of mine, different IP, same vhost.
rtmp://213.155.157.133:1935/ondemand?_fcs_vhost=cp41752.edgefcs.net&auth=daEaRbCdmcLdgcKd4b3cVcjccb5ctcGd_d.-biZ_vV-cCp-EotGCpDqLDtHtxH&aifp=v001&slist=secure/b000dlp3n-streaming91031707

frosty Wrote:PS. Have you looked into using the 'high quality' streams now available for some progs?

You mean the VP6 stream? Yes, the script supports both Flash codecs (VP6 and Spark), but both have given me the same issues opening the stream.
jelockwood Wrote:If you have access maybe you need to packet sniff Mac or iPhone playing an iPlayer programme. Or can Windows access the streams as well?

All platforms have access to the online Flash streaming client (Mac, Windows and Linux, plus others), and on mine this certainly works fine. It's only when I put the stream into XBMC it doesn't work (but that does require re-authentication, I can't just grab the same URL via sniffing as it expires.)
johnsto Wrote:All platforms have access to the online Flash streaming client (Mac, Windows and Linux, plus others), and on mine this certainly works fine. It's only when I put the stream into XBMC it doesn't work (but that does require re-authentication, I can't just grab the same URL via sniffing as it expires.)

The iPhone does not do Flash so it accesses a different H.264 stream. It auto-redirects to http://www.bbc.co.uk/mobile/iplayer/index.html

Other hacks have been written to exploit this and download and save programmes in H.264 via this method. I am not suggesting that, merely that it might be another way to play them within XBMC.

It is also possible that since this method is using H.264 it might be the same as the 'high quality' version via Flash, early reports were that it was better than the standard flash version.

If you manage to get your plugin working again, I have a feature request, which would be to display the Channel logo next to each channel in the list of Channels.
jelockwood Wrote:Other hacks have been written to exploit this and download and save programmes in H.264 via this method. I am not suggesting that, merely that it might be another way to play them within XBMC.

As mentioned previously, tried (extensively) under various approaches, but failed. Just can't stream properly, and it's not a method I approve of (nor are the BBC very fond of it).

jelockwood Wrote:It is also possible that since this method is using H.264 it might be the same as the 'high quality' version via Flash, early reports were that it was better than the standard flash version.

They're very close in quality.

jelockwood Wrote:If you manage to get your plugin working again, I have a feature request, which would be to display the Channel logo next to each channel in the list of Channels.

Will do!
Tried the nokia rtsp method xbmc DVD player will not render the stream.
Gets it, handshakes sod all displayed.

John do you have a working h264 url resolver or do i have try to make sense of the "download and discard the web bug" which is very unclear on the beebhack wiki.

What bloody web bug.

I want to try and stream 32mb chunks via veohproxy to xbmc.
It`s already streaming 1mb chunks from veoh .

Cheers V
Voinage Wrote:John do you have a working h264 url resolver or do i have try to make sense of the "download and discard the web bug" which is very unclear on the beebhack wiki.

Don't think the webbug is necessary any more, see note added today at: http://beebhack.wikia.com/wiki/IPhone_H....ember_2008

Which means H264 resolving is pretty easy right now, just gotta hold onto that cookie. In Python it's similar to this code:
http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-iplayer/so...y?r=20#120

This isn't an approach I support really, which is why I'm sticking to RTMP for the plugin which has the potential to be much neater and more accessible.