Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Need some basic help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey folks!

So me and the family are trying to cord cut, and heard of kodi. I love the idea but am confused on some aspects on how to make it all work.

I ordered a nvidia shield tv (so we dont have to worry about upgrading the box for some years) plus the added remote is simple to use.

Now this will be used primarily by my parents, and they just want to watch some simple content. News channel like fox news, cnn, msnbc and sports channels for various sports. Channels like HGTV and Food network would be good too. Lastly a good add-on for movies.

I am looking for a simple setup for them that is easy to use and if I need to fix something it can be fairly quick to deal with.

A side question, do these addons often break and become unusable?

So if anyone can list some recommendations and some basic steps on how to get them working that would be great!
Have a look through the video add-ons section, and also the wiki notes on free content (wiki) as some of what you may be looking for (especially sport and movies) may not be available for free legally. Some of the content listed is in there, such as news and Food Network.

For live channels there's the pvr (wiki) option, but that needs additional hardware, set-up and usually subscription.

The 3rd party illegal add-ons using pirated sources (which are not welcome here and are not supported by us) are the ones that tend to break and become unusable, simply due to the nature of their sources which frequently get shut down by the proper copyright owners of the content.

Also have a look at the notes for the first time user (wiki) as they may help too. The Shield is a good choice for the hardware though, so you're off to a good start.