Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Need ambient lighting advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been looking into ambient lighting as a new addition to my setup. Problem is with so many solutions and with my setup i'm not sure what the optimal setup is on a budget.

I currently have:

50" Wall mounted tv, probably about 5cm from wall (will take pics)
HP N54L (AMD Turion II Neo N54L (2.2 Ghz))
Openelec 6.0.x

My main concern is that the TV is too close to the wall and something like a single lightpack won't be enough or that my cpu won't be enough for something like boblight.

I'm looking for an out the box solution (no soldering/frame building). Works under openelec, £75 or less ideally and massive bonus points if it can work with 2 devices (openelec box + windows gaming pc).

So far this seems to be the most suitable thing but i'm not sure:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/90-RGB-CREE-Le...1984330210

Any advice and help would be massively appreciated as this tech is completely new to me.
Instead of Boblight take a look at Hyperion. Hyperion will run happily on an overclocked Raspberry Pi Model B with no noticeable reduction in system performance.
(2016-05-02, 20:44)speedwell68 Wrote: [ -> ]Instead of Boblight take a look at Hyperion. Hyperion will run happily on an overclocked Raspberry Pi Model B with no noticeable reduction in system performance.

Thanks took a quick look the reduced overhead is impressive. Looks a bit of a pain to get setup on x86 openelec devices but doable.

Think im just going to bite the bullet and get the 90 LED pack and hope it works well wall mounted. Had a look at a lot of videos and the ones that arent using a bracket really close to the wall seem to look good. Seen a few that are too close to the wall and the effect looks really diminished.
(2016-04-25, 18:19)ianuk2005 Wrote: [ -> ]I've been looking into ambient lighting as a new addition to my setup. Problem is with so many solutions and with my setup i'm not sure what the optimal setup is on a budget.

I currently have:

Openelec 6.0.x

My main concern is that the TV is too close to the wall and something like a single lightpack won't be enough or that my cpu won't be enough for something like boblight.

I'm looking for an out the box solution (no soldering/frame building). Works under openelec, £75 or less ideally and massive bonus points if it can work with 2 devices (openelec box + windows gaming pc).

Any advice and help would be massively appreciated as this tech is completely new to me.

Are these devices really just plug an play. Is anything else needed for it to rn on raspberry pi running Libreelec or windows 10 HTPC. Thanks
(2016-05-25, 12:21)Mark142 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-04-25, 18:19)ianuk2005 Wrote: [ -> ]I've been looking into ambient lighting as a new addition to my setup. Problem is with so many solutions and with my setup i'm not sure what the optimal setup is on a budget.

I currently have:

Openelec 6.0.x

Are these devices really just plug an play. Is anything else needed for it to rn on raspberry pi running Libreelec or windows 10 HTPC. Thanks

These ones aren't quit plug and play. You need to set-up software to control the leds. On OE/LE there is boblight and hyperion which seem fairly straight forward to set up. On windows there is ambibox and prismatik which also look fairly straight forward.

I'm going to be using both LE and windows 10 for gaming so i'm going to set up both, I can report back here on how easy/difficult it was if you want.

There are also true plug in an play ones that have just started to be released but they are pricey (around £140 for same LED count) http://www.dreamscreentv.com/.
Please do. I await your review. Thanks.

Sent from my HTC One M9
(2016-05-25, 13:44)Mark142 Wrote: [ -> ]Please do. I await your review. Thanks.

Sent from my HTC One M9

I have now wrote a review in the forum