Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Pictures artists on background not showing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When I hoover over a CD cover, the picture of the artist (fanart) is not shown on the background. Normally it should show a picture. What can be the problem?
I asked this question already several times on several forums, but never got any answer. Am I really the only one with this problem?
It would seem very likely.
What version of Kodi are you using? Have you scraped any artist fanart?
I'm not the only one, I found someone else with almost the same question. But the solution didn't work for me.

I'm using 16.1; but I had the same problem with 15...

Also I use Kodi on 4 computers. On 2 of them I have the background picture, on 2 of them I don't. As far as I know the installation was identical, as well as the settings.
On 4 computers.... all have 16.1? Are they sharing libraries (using MySQL) or do they each have their own music library locally?
Have you actually scraped any artist fanart? Can you see it when you look at artist information (on the context menu from the artist list)?
The 4 computers have the same version of Kodi.

The music Library is locally on all 4.

I have not scraped fanart on any of the 4.

When I click on the artiest information I cannot see fanart on 2 of them, and I don't have the menu item Music Artwork...
Well fanart needs to be scraped either from an online source or local file. Music scraping in 16.1 is not enabled by default, and as music library is local to each install then scraping for each artist will need to happen on each machine.

What skin are you using? In Confluence the Artist Information dialog has a "Get fanart" button, which will allow you to select your prefered image. But first click the "Refresh" button, that locates the possibilities.

If all 4 machines have exactly the same Kodi settings then I suspect that scraping could have happened in the background on all of them. But there are current issues with the online third-party music metatdata sources, so scraping is failing more often. Heavy traffic to these servers means that the request from Kodi for information may be rejected or timeout, and so art work is not found. Hence some of your machine may have succesfully retrived artwork for a given artist while the others were unlucky. The availability of art work from online sources is something beyond Kodi's control.
The 'Get Fanart' button is greyed out (on all 4 computers...)
I'm not sure but I don't think it has something to do with the scraping. What I think is important is that on the 2 computers that don't have the background picture the button 'Music Artwork' button is missing.
On one of the other computers, when I click on 'Music Artwork' I can click on 'Open Configuration'. There I see 'Skin helper Service'. What is this 'Skin Helper Service'? Could it be a problem with that?
When I look on a pc where I can see the background picture, and open Settings - Add-ons - System - Dependencies, I can see a long list and in the list I can see the Skin Helper Service.

When I do the same on a PC where I cannot see the background Picture I see a short list, and the Skin Helper Serice is not there... Could that be the problem?
Could be related, skins and addons are not my thing. The default Confluence skin does not have a "Music Artwork" to click on, and "Get Fanart" would not be greyed.

So for starters what skin are you using?
Confluence. But that's the skin I use on all the PC's, and on some there is a Music Artwork button.

I've installed 2 addons on the PC that didnt' have the background Picture (Skin Helper Service and Grab Fanart - these 2 addons were automatically installed on the other PC's), I the have the Music Artwork button but the Background Pictures don't appear. Also the both addons are in the Orphaned Dependencies list, which is not good, I think.

Fact is it seems that on some PC's (with the background picture) much more addons are installed by the system itself...
OK, so you have not got exactly the same setup on each PC, the addons are different. I'm not familiar with addons (Kodi just did what I wanted without them) so you need input from someone else to help you sort out your addons.

Might help attract a person with the right knowledge if you edit the thread title (as author you can), or maybe ask in the addons forum.
If you haven't scraped then perhaps you can check the contents of your addon folder on a PC that works and a PC that doesn't? might be possible one of the non-working ones doesn't have the same number of folders and as such could be missing an add-on which may be allowing you to see fanart in Confluence?

I don't believe confluence is designed to use add-ons so wouldn't have thought it would use Skin.Helper but if you have it installed on other PCs then I guess it is no harm to install it on the non-working PC. Yes, Skin.helper has the possibility to display fanart but like I said I don't think confluence uses it, other skins do though.