Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Reloading a 'pirate' box
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all, first time poster here.

I've found, by reading on this forum, that I've purchased a pirate box. It was a "fully loaded" MXQ Pro Android box with "Kodix" installed.

It's got a lot of crap on it and now that Kodi 16 is released my idea was to delete the old installation of Kodix and install a proper version of Kodi without all the extra crap.

I thought I'd document what I had to do so the next guy who wanders in could find a howto but before I do that I'd like to make sure that there isn't already one that I just haven't found.

Is this procedure all in one place or spread out over a bunch of posts/sites/Faqs? Please point it out for me if it does so I don't duplicate someone else's work.

I think a lot of people are going to be just like me in that they aren't familiar with android or Kodi and would like a comprehensive guide that assumes they know nothing to begin with. This would be my contribution to the forum.

JayArr
Head over to FreakTab and start reading.

There is no easy way to replace the firmware, either pick a modded version or go right back to Android 4.4 or 5.0 whatever the box came with. I had an MXQ, put OpenElec on it and it ran fine.

cwh
I'm only looking to reload Kodi in place of Kodix, I'll leave Android alone.

(2016-05-03, 01:49)cwh060 Wrote: [ -> ]Head over to FreakTab and start reading.

There is no easy way to replace the firmware, either pick a modded version or go right back to Android 4.4 or 5.0 whatever the box came with. I had an MXQ, put OpenElec on it and it ran fine.

cwh
uninstall the kodi preinstalled and installl a new version to have check
Well, I've got to say this was far easier than I thought it would be, not even worthy of a write up. I just set the security to allow outside sources, removed the old app and downloaded the new one and installed it.

This was accomplished in less than 20 minutes including the download and reinstalling a few video add-ons.