Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Cannot access scrapers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have KODI / OpenELEC on 5 separate machines, connected to 5 separate TVs around the villa. They have been running smoothly for 3+ years !!

Suddenly, as of Friday, May 7, I can no longer perform library updates !!

When Kodi tries to connect to TVDB, TMDB, and even Universal Movie Scraper, it FAILS !!

I get the "Couldn't download information.....Unable to Connect to remote server.... Would you like to continue scanning" message !!

Here is what I have done so far, based on reading other posts:
  • Changed router DNS to Google DNS
  • Installed Kodi on Android, Linux and OSX platforms, all with same result !
  • In all cases, I HAVE internet connection, as Add-Ons can be added, such as Apple Trailers, and they work fine !
At this point, I'm quite confused as to why suddenly all scrapers are failing ... and therefore I cannot perform library updates !!

HELP PLEASE !!

Thanks.
debug log (wiki)
The debug kodi.log: http://xbmclogs.com/p1qc6r8uu

In trying to access TVDB, to find "Mission Impossible", have a look at lines 1286-1295 ... It fails !!

Thanks.
Yes it does fail.

Sometimes these sites get overloaded and you can get a period of up to a few days where they are inaccessible, or intermittently unavailable.

However it would be unusual for for both TVDB and TMDB to be offline at the same time.

Have you updated OE lately? Sometimes a bum version of curl can creep in.
Hi Nickr ...

Thanks for the quick replies ...

- I'm running latest version of OpenELEC
- That should be irrelevant, as I even tested installing KODI on an Android box ... as well as just installing Kodi, on my Apple MacPro ... all cases gave same results.

Since it all happened in one shot, across multiple devices, including the Android and Mac scenarios, could it be rooted at something at the ISP side ?

I changed ISP about 2 months ago ... and all that time, it was smooth ... but then it hit on Friday !!

Also, in case my ISP asks, what is the exact address thatKODI uses to check TVDB for data ? I assume it's an API ? Maybe if I have them test that link, they can find the source.

Thanks again for the assistance.
There is no show named "Mission Impossible" on TVDB. So can you confirm what show you are actually looking for?

Edit: Whoops, yes there is. My bad.
This is the exact site:

http://thetvdb.com/api/GetSeries.php?ser...anguage=en
See line 1959 in your pastebin.

And I can access it fine. No errors on my side.
Have a look at lines 1293 and 1294 ... as well as 1961 and 1962 !!

In both cases, there seems to be an issue with a CCurlFile: !!

Anyone have experience with that ??
I see
I checked
it worked as I said Wink, means I am able to access it
I fully understand that it works for you. I'm trying to understand why it all suddenly stopped working for me !!

So my question remains, does anyone have experience with CCurlFile: ?

Any reason mine is reporting errors ?
Just to be clear, if I paste the URL from line 1960 into my browser, it does return data.

URL: http://thetvdb.com/api/GetSeries.php?ser...anguage=en

But then, the next three lines report an error in what seems to be the "processing" of the data the URL has returned.

1961. ERROR: CCurlFile::FillBuffer - Failed: Timeout was reached(28)
1962. ERROR: CCurlFile::Open failed with code 0 for http://thetvdb.com/api/GetSeries.php?ser...anguage=en
1963. ERROR: Run: Unable to parse web site
Any ideas out there as to how to resolve what seems to be a CURL issue ?

Still don't understand how it could happen to ALL instances on KODI, at the same time !!

Could it be something new I might have added to my NAS storage? ... that is causing the inability to identify, etc. ?

Would appreciate some help.

Thanks.
** ISSUE RESOLVED **

... and you won't believe how crazy the root cause is !!

I determined that since the impact was "simultaneous" on all instances of Kodi, it had to be either ISP, or file storage (NAS) related.

ISP was ruled out, as no changed were made recently by the vendor.

On the NAS, only two seasons of "Mission: Impossible" (Ha Ha !! ConfusedConfused) were loaded on Friday. After looking closer, I noticed that one of the episodes did not have the correct nomenclature of "....SxxEyy...." (i.e. Mission.Impossible.S01E02.mkv).

By simply fixing that single file name, Kodi went back to regular operation !!

So be very careful with TV file naming standards ...

Thanks to all for the help.