Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: visible task bar and stuttering playback began today
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'd been putting off updating to Jarvis because my old build (IsengardHuh) had been working so great, I didn't want to mess with anything.

I use it on an HTPC and it has been working great for over a year. Today I went to watch a movie and I immediately noticed the taskbar showing up over the top of the Kodi main window. Hmm, never seen that before.

Then when I fired up the movie, the playback was very choppy. Also never seen that before today.

The first thing I did was drop out of Kodi, fire up VLC and run a bunch of content to make sure it wasn't my pc/video card. Everything ran great outside of Kodi so I figured my Isengard version must just be too old so I went out and updated the current RC1 Kodi build.

After I installed it I turned that one back on, first thing I noticed was that my old XBMC remote app on my android tablet doesn't control the new Kodi build. Then I saw that the taskbar is still showing up on top of Kodi Sad

I enabled debug logging and as soon as I did, I could see the low framerate on the graphic overlay. I've never grabbed a log before so I was surprised how much is in there. I pasted it below, if there is a better way of doing that please let me know. Thank you.
I don't know what the issue might be, but just a heads up for the future, the devs prefer it if you use pastebin.com or xbmclogs.com instead of posting logs to the forum directly. Makes it easier to follow discussion and such.
Log file removed - as Ned said please do not post logs directly here, use PasteBin or XBMClogs instead.

Also remember to enable debug logging. Full details are on the wiki - debug log (wiki).
Thanks that did seem like an inefficient means of sharing the log file.

I uploaded to the xmbclogs.com site, let me know if this works:

http://www.xbmclogs.com/pbdawejez

looks like the xbmclog paste only worked for a few minutes before it was deleted. I just tried the pastebin one, hopefully this sticks around longer:

http://pastebin.com/p5Jqiuy9
Thanks. If I recall correctly on both sites I think you can set how long the upload lasts on the same screen you upload into.

Anyway on Windows, Jarvis uses DirectX 11, whereas Isengard used DirectX 9. So it may be that you need to update your graphics drivers if possible. The log lists your hardware as a GT430 which should support DX11.
I can definitely update them, it is worth a shot. I also had my advancedsettings.xml set to cache or buffer a certain amount, I wonder if it is worth getting rid of that and trying it out too. Can you just delete the file altogether and it defaults to standard settings?
Yes, or just rename it or move it out of your Kodi days folder.
Darren I updated graphic drivers and the stutter has disappeared!

The taskbar is still visible, I noticed that as soon as I hit a Kodi button the task bar goes away, which makes me think it is either defaulting to a windowed mode somehow, or focus is not being taken by Kodi at launch.

The only other downside to the new version is that it invalidates my old beloved XBMC remote app for Android Sad

I'll have to update to the new one and give it a try.
The upgrade may have changed/reverted the port that the remote uses to connect to Kodi, or perhaps the firewall rules on your machine may need adjusting to ensure there is no blockage to the communication between the two.

Those would be the first places I would check to get the two talking again. For Android you have options of Kore or Yatse, both of which work well (I use Yatse to remote control my Pi2 from my Android tablet sometimes).

I think there are launchers available for Windows that may help you with the maximised / focus aspect of things, but it's not something I've ever played around with as I rarely use Kodi on my Windows netbook so I can't give much help there.
well Darren I spoke too soon dangit. I just fired it up again and played a clip and the stuttering is back. So it wasn't a driver issue, and it was interesting that it worked for a few minutes earlier and now it doesnt again. What do you think should I try to get a debug log while it isn't stuttering and one while it is and compare them against each other?
Sounds like a plan to me. Details of how to do it are here if you need them - debug log (wiki).
What happens when you change render to software?
(2016-05-11, 05:45)k4sh1n Wrote: [ -> ]What happens when you change render to software?
Software/Pixel Shaders/DXVA renderers related only to video.
Thank you 'afedchin'

If you can, could you give more details on the differences/ results of changing through the different render/shader options.

(Apologies on hijacking OP's thread, but my searches came up a bit lacking)
Most of videos has YUV/NV12 format after decoding, to output these frames need to converted them to RGB format.
1. DXVA method uses driver's implementation. Kodi just provides frames to the drivers and driver converts them to RGB format. only vendors know how it's implemented in the driver.
2. Pixel Shaders uses shaders to convert frames i.e. uses only GPU. Kodi uses its own shaders.
3. Software uses only CPU to convert frames before they will be displayed.

The rendering GUI uses only GPU to output and the render method has no effect to the GUI.
Pages: 1 2