Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: New to Kodi - music questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

I am looking to migrate to Kodi from Windows Media Center as part of my move to Windows 10. I have checked the documentation and I can see Kodi supports WMA format music files. I use the tag editor in Windows Media Player and have save star rating to file enabled.

I have three questions that I hope somebody can help answer and make my migration to Kodi easier.

1. Auto playlists - does Kodi read auto playlists created in Windows Media Player or do I need to create from new in Kodi?
  2. WMA tags - will Kodi read the tags in the WMA files e.g star rating I created in Windows Media Player?
  3. Does Kodi use the fan art that Windows Media Player downloaded or do I need to use a meta data tool to get album cover images?

Many thanks
(2016-05-14, 11:56)Radagast Wrote: [ -> ]Auto playlists - does Kodi read auto playlists created in Windows Media Player or do I need to create from new in Kodi?

My bet is you'll need to recreate them in Kodi, especially if they are dynamically generated from rules. Kodi uses .au3 playlists, and I don't think that's the way WMC stores playlists. I had to recreate my auto playlists when I moved stuff from iTunes.

Quote:WMA tags - will Kodi read the tags in the WMA files e.g star rating I created in Windows Media Player?

I don't know from personal experience, but it looks like Kodi should read those when you add the music to your library.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_music_to_the_library

Quote:Does Kodi use the fan art that Windows Media Player downloaded or do I need to use a meta data tool to get album cover images?

Kodi won't use the fan art you've downloaded, but when you import the music into your library it will download album art (and artist art if you've turned on that option in the settings) during the import.

Hope that helps. Good luck!