Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi Timeout Freeze 60 minutes VPN credential verfication
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Currently running Jarvis 16.1 on Android 4.4.2 API Level 19.

I'm a Windows guy, but I've become very knowledgeable about Android due to this problem.

I'm using a VPN (Nord). The VPN connects and works fine.

At the 60 min mark of watching a movie, the movie will freeze and nothing will play (Music, Video etc).
I then have to disconnect the VPN, then reconnect the same or another VPN for another 60 mins of viewing until it freezes again.

After weeks of reading through forums and trying to track what the problem is, I've determined after finding a similar problem on the wetek forum that at the 60 min mark there is a renegotiation of VPN credentials (username and password) required during some type of ping. When the credentials (username and password) are not received the VPN /Kodi/ Android connection freezes. I've contacted the VPN provider and they have no functions that time out the VPN connection ever. I believe a failed communication between Kodi and Android is causing the problem, maybe?

The fix seems to be to access the VPN client config file and comment out ##Auth-nocache or delete it, to allow caching of my username and password so that it can be re-sent every 60 mins during a ping query to renegotiate access.

I've tried accessing Kodi VPN options, Android options, every Kodi variable accessible through the GUI, and browsing through the Kodi system root files to find some type of VPN config file to allow the renegotiation of credentials. I can't seem to get a log file generated even though I've checked the variables for generating the log. Even thought the log file would be nice to have, I don't think it's necessary because this happens every 60 mins exactly which says to me its a time-out issue and some type of query-response failure.

1) Can someone help me please figure out a way to stop this 60 min timeout between Kodi - Android - VPN?
There is zero vpn support/config inside official Kodi.
Reading between the lines, I'm just concerned with early adopter versions of software being combined with anything unofficial, because it will "break stuff" and make me have to go figure out other fixes or work-arounds.

I know you are limited in what you can say / not say, so thanks.

If you have a user requirement database:

Business Case:
Snowden'esque privacy issues are a concern for many and will continue to grow in the general public as people adopt common security methods used at work in their personal life. With MPSL/IP VPN market growth expectations estimated to be 13% annual compound growth rate from 7 billion in 2014 to 14.6 billion in 2020**, media platforms providing tangible options in the monitoring category of online security stand to differentiate themselves in the fruitful M&A space...blaw, blaw, blaw but the point is $700 million growth area per year means some % of this is a need for your user personae ....I figure at some point you guys and galls want this thing purchased, maybe.
**http://ww2.frost.com/news/press-releases/european-mplsip-vpn-market-reach-1463-billion-2020-predicts-frost-sullivan/

Requirement:
Must Have or Level 1. Provide access to environmental variables to enhance configuration options for VPN, maybe.
I just meant to say Kodi has nothing to do with your issue, not that we have something vs. VPNs.
Kodi is just not the place to configure them, it's up to the OS to handle the network stack.
Working with Dev people for so long makes me read and see stuff that ain't thereSmile

Thanks for the response.