Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi as video on demand solution
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

Being new to Kodi, am looking to implement it as a video on demand solution for a small apartment rental business.
Obviously I plan to use the android version, and my library would be stored on a windows server or NAS residing on the LAN.
I have a couple of questions that would appreciate having answers to:
1. Is it possible to implement like a tokens system or username and password right at the UI level so to control access to the media library and how?
2. What would be a good storage solution to handle the video streams? (1080p x 44 users)

Thanks
Best
You could use password protected file shares. Kodi does store passwords in plain text, so a more secure option might be to mount the file shares on the OS level (which I think is possible on Android?) and then use those within Kodi.
Thank you Ned, but could you please elaborate a bit more on how to store passwords within kodi or better point me towards a how to relevant to this?
When you use file sharing (wiki) such as SMB/CIFS/Windows sharing, and the SMB share has a password, Kodi will prompt for this and then save it in a passwords.xml file in the userdata folder (wiki).
Are you looking to charge as pay per view or just free for all tenants? If pay based only easy way is to base it on time limit with ftp shares and decent ftp server that allows control over how long login account is valid. Even so requires a Lot of babysitting and not feasible for 44 tenants in my eyes. For unlimited free view set password shares and away you go. Plus pay per view per se opens up legality questions.
Actually I see no reason to use Android here. Openelec + Raspberry Pi 2 is much better solution. You can also create many user accounts just at Kodi level.
Openelec will not allow to access system files. Kodi will be the only available app, starting automatically (exit Kodi = power off)