Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2016-10-05, 06:45)wesk05 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-10-04, 08:44)tredman Wrote: [ -> ]It is HD (I'm tdw197 on wetekforums, as I was on here a long time ago).
That is really interesting.
I will have to give tdw197 an "extra" hard time on the WeTek forums now he has revealed has older alter ego ! Wink
Suprised there wasn't an offical announcement for this, even at the Google event. Then again this isn't Google own hardware.

I also don't get why the Chromecast Utra is priced the same, which may explain the silent release. This will do everything the CC ultra can and much more.
(2016-10-05, 21:22)jebise Wrote: [ -> ]I also don't get why the Chromecast Utra is priced the same, which may explain the silent release. This will do everything the CC ultra can and much more.

Silent release of what? The CC Ultra?

If that's what you meant then it wasn't really a silent release since they spent some time on it at Google's device event yesterday. And something that the CC can do that I don't believe the Mi Box can is Dolby Vision.

The Mi, according to the specs, only supports HDR10/HLG HR.
The thing is, if you have a Dolby Vision TV you're most likely going to have all the apps the CC Ultra is going to offer. I haven't heard of any plans for YT to support DV anyways...
(2016-10-05, 02:16)sandogo1 Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone have any reviews of this yet
2x Wal-Mart stores near me didn't have it, and had no idea about it. Third one said they had inventory in back, but weren't allowed to sell it until Monday 10/10.
Any word on a Canadian release date? I went to two Walmarts and both didn't have any stock on the shelves. I didn't think to ask if they had stock in the back.
I really wish they would put the ethernet port on more of these boxes.. I know I can buy a USB adapter but not interested in doing that..
(2016-10-07, 01:53)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: [ -> ]I really wish they would put the ethernet port on more of these boxes.. I know I can buy a USB adapter but not interested in doing that..
+1 i don't know what were they thinking to not include a simple Ethernet port. That's the biggest turn off for many.

Enviado desde mi Moto X vía Tapatalk!
Including ethernet port means add a minimal cost and develop a android driver, cause native Android has not any ethernet driver at all, I think this choice is a mix between marketing (cost) and technical (sw development)...

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 3 utilizzando Tapatalk
I agree with the above. Note that Xiaomi is aiming an international market, not mainly the US. Also, the target is probably more sensitive for the price tag. If not sensitive, go for the Nvidia Shield. In many countries, you don't have the history of ethernet cables like we have. There, you mainly have a wireless router. With Wireless ac you don't necessarily need a cable, and, as said earlier, you may use a usb/rj45 adapter.
(2016-10-07, 07:40)zival Wrote: [ -> ]Including ethernet port means add a minimal cost and develop a android driver, cause native Android has not any ethernet driver at all, I think this choice is a mix between marketing (cost) and technical (sw development)...

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 3 utilizzando Tapatalk

(2016-10-07, 11:06)joalin Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with the above. Note that Xiaomi is aiming an international market, not mainly the US. Also, the target is probably more sensitive for the price tag. If not sensitive, go for the Nvidia Shield. In many countries, you don't have the history of ethernet cables like we have. There, you mainly have a wireless router. With Wireless ac you don't necessarily need a cable, and, as said earlier, you may use a usb/rj45 adapter.

So you can stream bluray rips and 4k content over wifi with no hiccups? with other stuff on your wifi? Also there are other devices at half the price of the Shield that have a ethernet port.
Base on the hardware spec I assume this media player can support MVC-ISO/MKV through Kodi/SPMC, is that TRUE or NOT?

Quote:Xiaomi USA
‏@XiaomiUSA

Sorry about the confusion (and the wait). Mi Box starts selling in Walmart stores on October 7
For those interested, Walmart now has the Mi online for in store pickup.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/54827138
Thanks, just ordered one for pick-up later today. Curious about this box, especially at its price point. Also, can't beat 2x months of Sling TV. My e-mail voucher shows "Valid for free trial of Sling Orange and Sling Blue". That's worth $80 right there.

(2016-10-07, 16:15)movie78 Wrote: [ -> ]Base on the hardware spec I assume this media player can support MVC-ISO/MKV through Kodi/SPMC, is that TRUE or NOT?

Quote:Xiaomi USA
‏@XiaomiUSA

Sorry about the confusion (and the wait). Mi Box starts selling in Walmart stores on October 7
Will know by tomorrow Smile.
will be picking mine up in a few hours also, local WM had 5 in stock