Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2018-04-08, 00:00)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]25Hz to match 25fps half motion deinterlacing is not equal to Amcodec full motion 50fps deinterlacing like you would get on say a AMLogic LibreELEC box.

Exactly. Any interlaced source should be deinterlaced to twice the interlaced frame rate (29.97->59.94, 25->50) to preserve the motion on native interlaced content (i.e. stuff where there is motion between two fields in a frame)

If you deinterlace to 29.97p or 25p you are completely wrecking any native interlaced content and making sport, entertainment, news etc. content essentially unwatchable juddery.
Quote:25fps half motion is rubbish for fast action sports viewing. TV's motion interpolation causes all sorts of issues with such a low frame rate.

TV Motion Interpolation should cause no issue BECAUSE IT SHOULD ALWAYS BE DISABLED! Otherwise you are just watching a car crash of guesstimation and have absolutely no idea what any source you are watching is actually doing.
Quote:Mpeg2 deinterlaced output is also blocky as well vs high quality Amcodec hardware deinterlacing.
What do you mean? MPEG2 is the source codec. Not sure what you are trying to say. Irrespective of your viewing platform and MPEG2 interlaced source is an MPEG2 interlaced source.
(2018-04-08, 00:34)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]TV Motion Interpolation should cause no issue BECAUSE IT SHOULD ALWAYS BE DISABLED! Otherwise you are just watching a car crash of guesstimation and have absolutely no idea what any source you are watching is actually doing.
Agreed, but there are a lot of user that have no idea about these type of settings - and it's why full motion deinterlacing is important.

Quote:Mpeg2 deinterlaced output is also blocky as well vs high quality Amcodec hardware deinterlacing.
Quote:What do you mean? MPEG2 is the source codec. Not sure what you are trying to say. Irrespective of your viewing platform and MPEG2 interlaced source is an MPEG2 interlaced source.
Take a look at SD mpeg2 TV News broadcasts - displayed text onscreen using AMLogic Android Krypton Mediacodec hardware decoding vs say the same TV broadcasts when Amcodec hardware decoding using a LE Kodi Krypton box and you will soon see what I mean about blocky (text) pixellation.

As a side Note, Geniatech appear to have a Plug N Play USB tuner that works on the Mi Box:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comme...pports_tv/

Geniatech also use their own custom TV App which very likely has embedded Amlcodec binaries to give you high quality full motion hardware deinterlacing. However a Air Mouse looks like it is needed for App control apparently.
(2018-04-08, 00:00)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]25Hz to match 25fps half motion deinterlacing is not equal to Amcodec full motion 50fps deinterlacing like you would get on say a AMLogic LibreELEC box.

25fps half motion is rubbish for fast action sports viewing. TV's motion interpolation causes all sorts of issues with such a low frame rate.

Mpeg2 deinterlaced output is also blocky as well vs high quality Amcodec hardware deinterlacing.

It's why the Mi box is at the bottom of the deinterlace hardware list.

Sorry, my mistake when writing the post. Of course my HDMI output settings are set to 50 Hz.

I can compare the Live TV deinterlacing quality with a Wetek Hub running LibreELEC and a Nvidia Shield. Source material is "La Liga" football matches and I can assure you that there is fast motion. I have approximately 45 years of live TV football watching experience although it was in BW back then when I started as a teenager :-)

In my eyes deinterlacing quality with Mi Box is equal to LE in the Hub and slightly superior to Nvidia Shield. Now this is ONLY with that specific version of TVHeadend Live Channel and using the native player. Kodi, SPMC, and any other version of TVHeadend Live Channel is a disaster in the Mi Box. I can only deduce that in that specific software combination the native player IS using Amcodec. Or my eyes are too old and they are tricking me.
(2018-04-08, 08:49)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-04-08, 00:34)noggin Wrote: [ -> ]TV Motion Interpolation should cause no issue BECAUSE IT SHOULD ALWAYS BE DISABLED! Otherwise you are just watching a car crash of guesstimation and have absolutely no idea what any source you are watching is actually doing.
Agreed, but there are a lot of user that have no idea about these type of settings - and it's why full motion deinterlacing is important.
Quote:What do you mean? MPEG2 is the source codec. Not sure what you are trying to say. Irrespective of your viewing platform and MPEG2 interlaced source is an MPEG2 interlaced source.
Take a look at SD mpeg2 TV News broadcasts - displayed text onscreen using AMLogic Android Krypton Mediacodec hardware decoding vs say the same TV broadcasts when Amcodec hardware decoding using a LE Kodi Krypton box and you will soon see what I mean about blocky (text) pixellation.

Yes - The way I read your post suggested that MPEG2 was being compared with AMLogic deinterlacing, as if they were two competing things! I now see you are comparing the deinterlacing used in the Mi Box Android vs the deinterlacing used in other AMLogic boxes running LE.
(2018-04-08, 10:09)visiondiez Wrote: [ -> ]Now this is ONLY with that specific version of TVHeadend Live Channel and using the native player. Kodi, SPMC, and any other version of TVHeadend Live Channel is a disaster in the Mi Box. I can only deduce that in that specific software combination the native player IS using Amcodec. Or my eyes are too old and they are tricking me.
Which specific TvH Live Channels version are you talking about here, pls be specific ?
Confirming no transcoding is going on in the TvH backend server ?
(2018-04-08, 08:49)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]

The most important public service we could do for fellow Kodi users is to get them to disable any form of motion interpolation (Motion Flow, Natural Motion etc.) on their display in any way, shape or form.

There's no point working to make Kodi better if people are then going to mangle the output of devices on their displays.
(2018-04-08, 13:03)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-04-08, 10:09)visiondiez Wrote: [ -> ]Now this is ONLY with that specific version of TVHeadend Live Channel and using the native player. Kodi, SPMC, and any other version of TVHeadend Live Channel is a disaster in the Mi Box. I can only deduce that in that specific software combination the native player IS using Amcodec. Or my eyes are too old and they are tricking me.
Which specific TvH Live Channels version are you talking about here, pls be specific ?
Confirming no transcoding is going on in the TvH backend server ?    
 It is mentioned in my post: old v0.2.87 from https://github.com/kiall/android-tvheadend/releases
That version allows you to choose which player will be used to reproduce the Live TV Stream: VLC, ExoPlayer or Media Player. Only choosing Media Player provides good deinterlacing results.
No transcoding is going on. Stream is DVB-S2 1080i H264  at 10 Mbps. TVHeadend server is an s905 KI Plus running LibreELEC. The KI Plus also provides good deinterlacing but it's not located in the main room.
(2018-04-08, 10:09)visiondiez Wrote: [ -> ] It is mentioned in my post: old v0.2.87 from https://github.com/kiall/android-tvheadend/releases
That version allows you to choose which player will be used to reproduce the Live TV Stream: VLC, ExoPlayer or Media Player.
Same applys to the Wetek Hub using the ATV ROM btw.
(2018-04-08, 14:49)visiondiez Wrote: [ -> ]It is mentioned in my post: old v0.2.87 from https://github.com/kiall/android-tvheadend/releases
That version allows you to choose which player will be used to reproduce the Live TV Stream: VLC, ExoPlayer or Media Player. Only choosing Media Player provides good deinterlacing results.
Thx.
Nice work - yes that is certainly full motion AML hardware deinterlacing - the equivalent picture quality to what is seen with LE Kodi Krypton.

Unfortunately video playback freezes after 1 minute of 1080i H264 viewing... Confused
(2018-04-08, 17:38)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-04-08, 14:49)visiondiez Wrote: [ -> ] 
Unfortunately video playback freezes after 1 minute of 1080i H264 viewing... Confused    
  It's completely stable for me but maybe it's because I am using an old firmware version: 6.01-699. It's a shame that the firmware does not allow KODI to do the right deinterlacing.
@wrxtasy which channel freezes for you ? I also have had great success with that old version of tvheadend.
(2018-04-08, 14:49)visiondiez Wrote: [ -> ]It is mentioned in my post: old v0.2.87 from https://github.com/kiall/android-tvheadend/releases
Thx.
Nice work - yes that is certainly full motion AML hardware deinterlacing - the equivalent picture quality to what is seen with LE Kodi Krypton.

Both of you, check it out ProgTV using mediaplayer+ or Openmax as renderer, pretty sure they are using amcodec too. (been using for months)
@wrxtasy @visiondiez
(2018-04-12, 20:56)diogosena Wrote: [ -> ]
 Both of you, check it out ProgTV using mediaplayer+ or Openmax as renderer, pretty sure they are using amcodec too. (been using for months)
@wrxtasy @visiondiez  
  Confirmed.
I just saw in news there is a google branded s905x dongle on the way. Interestengly the remote for the device is very similar to mi box remote. Otherwise, if google will have self branded device with mi box like hardware it may help to speed up developing new versions for the mi box, too. I guess.
FCC user guide:
https://fccid.io/2AOVU-SN5B6AD/
https://www.gizmochina.com/2018/04/10/go...en-at-fcc/
Since I needed a cheap kodi solution again, i went ahead and ordered a MiBox.
Now two my dissapointment i only just read about the incapability of auto framerate switching.

I must wait and see if this is a no go for me or if i can get over the microstutters in playback at 60hz since i wont bother goint back and forth and switching framerate manualy.
I guess if the Mibox turns out to not be the right hardware for me my only option is to go to a nvidia shield again in the Android TV Market. Or maybe to go to a cheap libre elec solution.

Would the auto framerate switching be automatically fixed with a higher version of android or does this feature require deaper changes from Xiaomi? Just want to know what the issue is.

The Google Nexus Player supportet it. But the google Nexus Player isnt an option for me anymore since with the oreo update things werent working so good for me anymore.
I Kept getting kicked out of kodi into the main menu and so on and had a lot of navigation problems of this kind to the point where i sold the device.
Also the whole look of Android TV in Oreo on the nexus Player made navigating more komplicated for me.

I for myself would love a good android tv device but i just dont want to shell out 200€ for an nvidia Shield wich only does Kodi and Youtube for me.
Any ideas from you guys? Maybe i should take a look at a wetek hub or something else?