Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2018-11-05, 10:19)generalmilk Wrote: [ -> ]I’m a mi box user in US and a native Chinese speaker. One month ago I reported a few bugs in build 2179 and 2303 directly to Xiaomi’s engineers. The bugs were 1) when mi box wakes up from sleep, the user specified resolution such as 4k@60 might change to 480p or other low resoluton. 2) When user changes refresh rate in settings, it only changes display refresh rate, but system still think it is under the original refresh rate, resulting multiple apps misbehave, including Kodi. Kodi won’t play 1080p@24 video smoothly if user switches to 24fps in settings, unless reboot. 3) WiFi still goes up and down, affecting playback. I have to change my router’s WiFi bandwidth setting from 80Mhz to 40mhz to maintain stable connection.

I just updated 2390. After initial testing, it seems all three issues are fixed. The third one needs confirmation for long time usage, but I changed bandwidth back to 80Mhz, it is stable so far.

The box is still not perfect, but I’m glad they are able to fix all issues I reported to them. Maybe it is really the language barrier. Anyway, if anyone has a clue about how to enable the auto refresh rate switching, let me know. I can pass the information in Chinese and maybe we can see it in the next build.

@generalmilk
Have you seen this post ?
Could you forward it to your Chinese Dev contact ?
Thanks !

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2748540
Thanks. I will try to understand first then pass it as Chinese.

I waked up noticing a few posts missing from that eu Xiaomi forum. Someone even said the admin attacked me for knowing Chinese. He also said weird things a few posts earlier to the lady (Dongchun) from Xiaomi’s team. I don’t think it is a good forum to solve mi box problem anymore. From now on, I will post information mainly here (since Kodi is the most I care on Mi Box) or Androidtv subreddit.
I just reproduced DD+ dropout in prime video. Sound lost one second randomly right? I tried 60hz and 24hz in settings, both have the same issue. So why auto frame rate switching is able to fix it then?

BTW @wrxtasy do you have video record for those issues? I think that will help.
(2018-11-05, 19:23)generalmilk Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks. I will try to understand first then pass it as Chinese.

I waked up noticing a few posts missing from that eu Xiaomi forum. Someone even said the admin attacked me for knowing Chinese. He also said weird things a few posts earlier to the lady (Dongchun) from Xiaomi’s team. I don’t think it is a good forum to solve mi box problem anymore. From now on, I will post information mainly here (since Kodi is the most I care on Mi Box) or Androidtv subreddit.

Doesn't matter... I don't understand what is the admin's aim
Let's continue here

Let's find a way to fix the differents issues (and communicate with the Devs, which seems to be the key... That's why a man who got dev and Chinese skills is precious).

Thanks for your implication
(2018-11-05, 10:54)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-11-05, 10:19)generalmilk Wrote: [ -> ]The box is still not perfect, but I’m glad they are able to fix all issues I reported to them. Maybe it is really the language barrier. Anyway, if anyone has a clue about how to enable the auto refresh rate switching, let me know. I can pass the information in Chinese and maybe we can see it in the next build.

Nice work. Smile

If you can also report:

1) 5.1 DD+ Netflix Audio has audio dropouts when HDMI connected to a DD+ capable audio receiver. I believe other DD+ dropout happen with other Apps.
2) USB3 > Gigabit adapters (like Ugreen brand) misbehave after waking from sleep, continually cycling from connect to disconnect
3) Deinterlacing when decoding using Kodi Mediacodec which uses Android EXOplayer does not do Frame doubling (25i > 50fps), so you end up with Half motion deinterlacing which is not good for sports viewing.

This affects all Android Apps running on AMLogic hardware, like Kodi and Android TV - Live Channels that use Broadcast TV.
mpeg2 deinterlacing is poor quality as well and pixellated compared to what it should be.
The Xiaomi Engineers may have to query AMLogic on these issues.

4) Yes I do know how to enable auto frame rate matching on AMLogic hardware - BUT there are mods that need to be done to the Systemctl binary file as well, and without a User-Debug Oreo release or access to the source code nothing can be done.
Maybe Xiaomi can send me a Oreo user-debug update.zip if I produce my Mi Box serial number, at least I can experiment then.

Please pass on the info.

I have passed the post and introduced this whole thread. It will take them some time to digest Smile check this link for more updates: https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comme...of_mi_box/. We may see auto switching after all.
Thanks a lot for your work and sharing to the right persons.

The autoswitching, WiFi speed/stability, and remote sleeping fixes will be very appreciated !
There hasn't been an update in a long time. Are they still working on this??
(2018-11-07, 19:29)kgonepostl Wrote: [ -> ]There hasn't been an update in a long time. Are they still working on this??

Yes! OTA4 RC2 ! (build 2396) New update (Beta Testers ONLY).

https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/ota4...ost-454498
devs are now trying to reproduce the DD+ dropout issue, good...
Wow the Xiaomi mi box forum is no longer publicly accessible. You need to register now.
(2018-11-08, 08:35)rwijnhov Wrote: [ -> ]Wow the Xiaomi mi box forum is no longer publicly accessible. You need to register now.
 Yeap just noticed that as well
(2018-11-08, 07:36)generalmilk Wrote: [ -> ]devs are now trying to reproduce the DD+ dropout issue, good...

Good news. Because it affect all DD+ streaming Apps like Netflix, Prime Video and others.

It's an Xiaomi embarrassment, and some would even classify it as false advertising, considering the Mi Box has Dolby Audio support plastered all over it's advertising materials.
And while we are talking audio - it is expected in the USA and western consumer markets, when a device is advertised with Dolby Audio support, it is also capable of DD+ > DD audio downmixing, output over HDMI & SPDIF.
To allow devices to support older DD only capable audio receivers.

It's also something Google need to enforce IMHO during their Android TV certification process. Their is simply too much user frustration & confusion.

The Amazon Fire TV hardware and Apple TV's can do that Dolby Audio downmixing properly. No external media player - Android TV devices have DD+ > DD audio downmixing working.
It is actually mandatory for any DD+ decoder to be able to do the DD compatible "downmix".
Quote:However, Dolby Digital Plus is a functional superset of Dolby Digital, and decoders include a mandatory component that directly converts (without decoding and re-encoding) the Dolby Digital Plus bitstream to a Dolby Digital bitstream (operating at 640kbit/s) for carriage via legacy S/PDIF connections (including S/PDIF over HDMI) to external decoders (e.g. AVRs, etc.).

A Sony BRAVIA exposes ENCODING_AC3 and ENCODING_E_AC3 even though my connected AVR only supports AC3. "Downmix" works perfectly. Tested this for Prime Video, Netflix, Google Play Movies and Kodi.
(2018-11-08, 10:29)CiNcH Wrote: [ -> ]It is actually mandatory for any DD+ decoder to be able to do the DD compatible "downmix".
Well the question then becomes why is support not added for Dolby Audio Licensed - externally connected Android TV media players ?

Is it Google's fault for not strictly enforcing mandatory DD standards during certification - it is their OS after all ?
Is it Xiaomi not bothering to add such support ?
Do AMlogic not have the Android SDK support in place ?

This is the problem when you have 3 entities trying to get any media player to work - even to within known standards, and add on top of that English / Chinese language barriers.
It seems the new Oreo update is no RC anymore and is available right now via OTA.

Rebooting my Mi box right now.