Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2018-12-02, 12:22)smjunaid Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-11-24, 03:45)audit13 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-11-19, 02:33)gado45 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys, new here. Im interested in getting the new MI box S, but reading some pages here it seems it got lots of audio issues. My question is, passthrough audio to receiver, like dts-hd or atmos were never compatible or just broken by xiaomi's oreo firmware? are there any other recommended boxes besides the nvidia shield for having hd audio passthrough ?
 Hi,

I am new here too. I got the Mi Box 3 a few days ago and it self-updated to Oreo version 2396. I'll try to answer your questions.

Here's the bad news:
  1. for some reason, when playing back a 1080p or 4k movie from a USB drive, the audio will randomly cut out for a second. This may happen twice during a 1.5 hour movie or four times. I can replay the entire file and the audio drops will not occur in the same place. Sometimes, there will be a soft burst of audio static for no apparent reason. I know it's not a file problem because the file plays perfectly on my HTPC with no audio static or audio drops;
  2. there is no auto frame rate switching which is bad when playing a movie with a 23.976 or 24 FPS rate while the desktop is set to 2160p/60. This will cause dropped frames or stuttering even in Kodi with the frame change option enabled. I notice it while others may not; and
  3. there was a bit of stuttering in Netflix 4k but I didn't notice many instances of frame drops; however, that may have been a function of the show I was watching.

Here's the good news:
  1. 1080 and 4k files from my USB drive look pretty good;
  2. using Kodi Leia 18 RC and my 5.1 system, I see TrueHD and DTS-HD MA on my receiver's display panel. I assume it will pass the meta data for Atmos and DTS-X as well but I don't know for sure since I don't have an Atmos-compatible system;
  3. I get Netflix 4k HDR with no problem; and
  4. no audio drop outs when using Netflix at 4k with DD+ 5.1.

Xiaomi is supposedly working on auto frame rate switching which would eliminate the stuttering and, hopefully, audio drops.

I hope the information I have included is helpful.  
 can you please share your kodi settings.. and mi box audio settings. i can not seem to get dts hd and true hd out of my mi box s. using yamaha 681 receiver which supports atmos too . 
 im using mi box s and updated the firmware. i followed what i read here i installed kodi leia set the audio pass through in kodi and also only shows ac3, dolby digital and dts capable pass through there is no true hd and dts hd pass though in kodi leia and when playing my dts hd and true hd mkv movie file my receiver only shows DTS and Dolby digital it does not show dts hd or true hd in my receiver. is mi box s really capable to decode true hd and dts hd? please share exact settings to do thanks.
(2018-12-03, 18:27)audit13 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-12-02, 12:22)smjunaid Wrote: [ -> ]can you please share your kodi settings.. and mi box audio settings. i can not seem to get dts hd and true hd out of my mi box s. using yamaha 681 receiver which supports atmos too . 

On Mi Box 3, go to settings, sounds, sound output = auto, dynamic range control = off

Kodi settings: https://imgur.com/a/sBYIXfl 
im using mi box s updated firmware. i followed what i read here i installed kodi leia set the audio pass through in kodi and also shows ac3, dolby digital and dts capable pass through there is no true hd and dts hd pass though in kodi leia and when playing my dts hd and true hd mkv movie file my receiver only shows DTS and Dolby digital it does not show dts hd or true hd in my receiver. is mi box s really capable to decode true hd and dts hd? please share exact settings thanks
If you are not getting DTS-HD and True HD, try a different HDMI cable.

The Mi Box can definitely pass HD audio because my avr's front panel lights up with DTS-HD MA and TrueHD.
(2018-12-12, 22:35)audit13 Wrote: [ -> ]If you are not getting DTS-HD and True HD, try a different HDMI cable.

The Mi Box can definitely pass HD audio because my avr's front panel lights up with DTS-HD MA and TrueHD.
 im using the hdmi cable that came with the mi box. i read that there are 4 types of hdmi cables, standard,  hi speed, with ethernet. What type should i use? what type of hdmi cable are you using? thank you.
(2018-12-13, 07:01)jologish Wrote: [ -> ] im using the hdmi cable that came with the mi box. i read that there are 4 types of hdmi cables, standard,  hi speed, with ethernet. What type should i use? what type of hdmi cable are you using? thank you.
I am using an Amazon Basics 4k cable: https://www.amazon.ca/AmazonBasics-High-...cable&th=1
(2018-12-13, 08:34)audit13 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-12-13, 07:01)jologish Wrote: [ -> ] im using the hdmi cable that came with the mi box. i read that there are 4 types of hdmi cables, standard,  hi speed, with ethernet. What type should i use? what type of hdmi cable are you using? thank you.
I am using an Amazon Basics 4k cable: https://www.amazon.ca/AmazonBasics-High-...cable&th=1 
ok thanks i'm using now  hdmi cable 2.0 high speed same as yours yet i dnt get true hd and dts hd....btw what version of kodi are you using? i installed kodi leia and krypton but in the allow audio pass through option in expert mode i dont see the dts hd capable and at true hd capable switch only dd digital plus and dts capable is in the pass through option.
(2018-12-13, 15:55)jologish Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-12-13, 08:34)audit13 Wrote: [ -> ]
ok thanks i'm using now  hdmi cable 2.0 high speed same as yours yet i dnt get true hd and dts hd....btw what version of kodi are you using? i installed kodi leia and krypton but in the allow audio pass through option in expert mode i dont see the dts hd capable and at true hd capable switch only dd digital plus and dts capable is in the pass through option. 
I'm using Leia RC2 and also get HD audio on my Win10 HTPC. Do you get TrueHD and DTS-HD using Kodi on other devices?
(2018-12-13, 17:10)audit13 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-12-13, 15:55)jologish Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-12-13, 08:34)audit13 Wrote: [ -> ]I am using an Amazon Basics 4k cable: https://www.amazon.ca/AmazonBasics-High-...cable&th=1  
I'm using Leia RC2 and also get HD audio on my Win10 HTPC. Do you get TrueHD and DTS-HD using Kodi on other devices?   
 yes i have a gaming pc win10 with nvidia graphics 4k hdmi out with updated drivers i installed kodi leia and yet in the audio pass through options expert mode it does not show the true hd and dts hd switch only dolby digital ac3 and dts capable switch same thing on my mi box s. i dont understand if kodi removed that option. my receiver is a pioneer vsx923 4k true hd Dts HD capable hdmi set to auto but i only get dts-ddigital-ddgital plus but my movie mkv files are in dts-hd and true hd i even have some atmos format mkv but no luck. im giving up i think i have to settle for ddigital and dts only no hd audio in my mi box s. mybe planning to get nvidia shield next year instead but still expensive. i hope kodi and the mi box team is reading this. its 2019 already why can't they make things run smoothly...dts-hd and true hd existed almost a decade at this point it should have been in standard automatic or default setup already. Its all about profit for the next version and so on.
(2018-12-14, 06:09)jologish Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-12-13, 17:10)audit13 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-12-13, 15:55)jologish Wrote: [ -> ]ok thanks i'm using now  hdmi cable 2.0 high speed same as yours yet i dnt get true hd and dts hd....btw what version of kodi are you using? i installed kodi leia and krypton but in the allow audio pass through option in expert mode i dont see the dts hd capable and at true hd capable switch only dd digital plus and dts capable is in the pass through option.   
 yes i have a gaming pc win10 with nvidia graphics 4k hdmi out with updated drivers i installed kodi leia and yet in the audio pass through options expert mode it does not show the true hd and dts hd switch only dolby digital ac3 and dts capable switch same thing on my mi box s. i dont understand if kodi removed that option. my receiver is a pioneer vsx923 4k true hd Dts HD capable hdmi set to auto but i only get dts-ddigital-ddgital plus but my movie mkv files are in dts-hd and true hd i even have some atmos format mkv but no luck. im giving up i think i have to settle for ddigital and dts only no hd audio in my mi box s. mybe planning to get nvidia shield next year instead but still expensive. i hope kodi and the mi box team is reading this. its 2019 already why can't they make things run smoothly...dts-hd and true hd existed almost a decade already at this point it should have been in standard automatic or default setup already. 
I get passthrough of DTS-HD and TrueHD on my Win10 home theatre PC. Did you get HD passthrough with any version of Kodi on any devices?

The screenshots I posted are with Leia on the Mi Box 3.
(2018-12-14, 06:44)audit13 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-12-14, 06:09)jologish Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-12-13, 17:10)audit13 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm using Leia RC2 and also get HD audio on my Win10 HTPC. Do you get TrueHD and DTS-HD using Kodi on other devices?   
 yes i have a gaming pc win10 with nvidia graphics 4k hdmi out with updated drivers i installed kodi leia and yet in the audio pass through options expert mode it does not show the true hd and dts hd switch only dolby digital ac3 and dts capable switch same thing on my mi box s. i dont understand if kodi removed that option. my receiver is a pioneer vsx923 4k true hd Dts HD capable hdmi set to auto but i only get dts-ddigital-ddgital plus but my movie mkv files are in dts-hd and true hd i even have some atmos format mkv but no luck. im giving up i think i have to settle for ddigital and dts only no hd audio in my mi box s. mybe planning to get nvidia shield next year instead but still expensive. i hope kodi and the mi box team is reading this. its 2019 already why can't they make things run smoothly...dts-hd and true hd existed almost a decade already at this point it should have been in standard automatic or default setup already.  
I get passthrough of DTS-HD and TrueHD on my Win10 home theatre PC. Did you get HD passthrough with any version of Kodi on any devices?

i think the android audio track on mi box 3 is much better than in mi box s. in mi box 3 you see the kodi true hd option pass through but on mi box s it doesn't show.  yes i get true hd on win 10 tested it with kodi and vlc (its easier to set-up vlc audio passthrough) but i dnt want to use pc as media player too much power.
(2018-12-14, 11:18)jologish Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-12-14, 06:44)audit13 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-12-14, 06:09)jologish Wrote: [ -> ] yes i have a gaming pc win10 with nvidia graphics 4k hdmi out with updated drivers i installed kodi leia and yet in the audio pass through options expert mode it does not show the true hd and dts hd switch only dolby digital ac3 and dts capable switch same thing on my mi box s. i dont understand if kodi removed that option. my receiver is a pioneer vsx923 4k true hd Dts HD capable hdmi set to auto but i only get dts-ddigital-ddgital plus but my movie mkv files are in dts-hd and true hd i even have some atmos format mkv but no luck. im giving up i think i have to settle for ddigital and dts only no hd audio in my mi box s. mybe planning to get nvidia shield next year instead but still expensive. i hope kodi and the mi box team is reading this. its 2019 already why can't they make things run smoothly...dts-hd and true hd existed almost a decade already at this point it should have been in standard automatic or default setup already.  

i think the android audio track on mi box 3 is much better than in mi box s. in mi box 3 you see the kodi true hd option pass through but on mi box s it doesn't show.  yes i get true hd on win 10 tested it with kodi and vlc (its easier to set-up vlc audio passthrough) but i dnt want to use pc as media player too much power.
The Mi Box S is supposed to pass HD audio too from what I have read.

I usually use my PC to play movies (1080 and 4k) because my nVidia video card is better at upscaling 1080 to 4k and it supports automatic frame rate switching.
Speculation abounds... and you can go around in circles if you do not look at the Kodi Logs:

https://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Easy

USB Stick, X-Plore App install latest Kodi Leia RC3 nightly:
https://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/android/arm/master/
Videos > Playback > sync playback to display should always be set to off when using passthrough audio.
Hello mates!

Just one silly question: if I want to upgrade Kodi Leia RC1 on my Mi Box to RC3, should I just download the right apk and install it?

Thanks! Smile
you can simply use the official way:
https://kodi.tv/download -> android -> Pre release -> REGISTER TO PLAY STORE BETA CHANNEL -> and then just install/update Kodi from google play on your device