Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I see this being an excellent way to counter the cheap chinise boxes, Google and the hardware manufacturers just need to flood the market with these boxes for under a $100 no one will look to buy the cheap boxes and won't have to worry about support or cheap power supplies.

This will not only help the Kodi team but also the average joe buying a box to watch videos and HD Netflix. Call me paranoid but i would never sign into a Chinese box with my Google ID, no idea what back doors maybe in place, however they do make excellent LibreELEC boxes.
(2016-10-20, 13:36)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Yes I doubt ZTE are going to state "Embracing Google's Android TV OS" on a Broadband World Forum stage if they have not already got Android TV OS licensing agreements in place. The Google lawyers would be all over them like a nasty rash otherwise.

And this is very likely only the start of Google opening up Licensing of the Android TV OS platform.
Read what you want into the above sentence.... Wink

WeTek products will be amazing with official Android TV OS, the only thing missing..... I chose to read it that way Wink
Its my belief you need to meet minimum Hardware standards for a Google Android TV OS licence.
As shown with the AMLogic S905X Mi Box tech Specs and now the S905X ZTE.

...and have all the necessary DRM and Netflix approvals in place too. Android Pirate Box sellers wont stand a chance.

Google have taken a good look at Apple's ATV success with tight control of both the Hardware and Software to ensure there is a very common, easy to use, GUI on a TV. One that works consistently across a number of different media player ATV OS Hardware platforms.

This is all about achieving critical mass and market penetration of ATV OS devices from this point forward IMHO.
I thought I read somewhere that in order to gain the use of the Android TV OS the company wanting to use it had to send several employees off to meet with Google and conference with them for a week or so out west (for want of a better term). That was the stumbling block for WeTek, it doesn't make financial sense for small companies to have to eat the cost of a multi thousand dollar business trip even before getting started.
BWF is finished but I can't anything more about ZTE's tv box announcement?!
Have they even announce it? Do we have approx. price or at least release date?

Why those big chinese IT companies (Xiaomi/ZTE) have such a poor launching when it comes to tv boxes??
It's like they are trying to hide it from someone Smile

P.S.
I think mods should split this (ZTE) part of topic to a new topic.
(2016-10-20, 21:39)jakejm79 Wrote: [ -> ]I thought I read somewhere that in order to gain the use of the Android TV OS the company wanting to use it had to send several employees off to meet with Google and conference with them for a week or so out west (for want of a better term). That was the stumbling block for WeTek, it doesn't make financial sense for small companies to have to eat the cost of a multi thousand dollar business trip even before getting started.
Your confusing what you read with what is require to get Widevine Level 1 DRM certification to then be able to stream 720/1080p/4K protected content video from various apps. WeTek has the required certifications and also their AMLogic S812/S905 devices come with Widevine Level 1, so it did not appear to be a problem for them.

http://www.widevine.com/cwip/
That is one of the things on the road to Android TV, though.
Proper Dolby and DTS Audio Licensing would be another must have requirement...
(2016-10-21, 04:25)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-10-20, 21:39)jakejm79 Wrote: [ -> ]I thought I read somewhere that in order to gain the use of the Android TV OS the company wanting to use it had to send several employees off to meet with Google and conference with them for a week or so out west (for want of a better term). That was the stumbling block for WeTek, it doesn't make financial sense for small companies to have to eat the cost of a multi thousand dollar business trip even before getting started.
Your confusing what you read with what is require to get Widevine Level 1 DRM certification to then be able to stream 720/1080p/4K protected content video from various apps. WeTek has the required certifications and also their AMLogic S812/S905 devices come with Widevine Level 1, so it did not appear to be a problem for them.

http://www.widevine.com/cwip/

I may be mistaken, but I also thought while along the similar lines to the Widevine DRM certification, it was much more intense and costly.
i just got my mi box,
i was disappointed that it doesn't play 10 bit hevc files in kodi or outside the kodi...
did you guys know if it may be change in the future? maybe an software update ?
thanks.
To be a certified Android TV device Google now requires to have VP9 hardware decoding. Wetek should have opted for S905X if they wanted official Android TV on their devices.

Enviat des del meu D5803 usant Tapatalk
Ever wondered why the quality AMLogic Firmware companies like MINIX and WeTek have not released new Android 6.0 Marshmallow devices or Firmware upgrades yet ?

This is a extract from a thread concerning broken DTS passthrough Audio in new AMLogic Boxes running Android 6.0:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2437366

(2016-10-15, 22:16)Martijn Wrote: [ -> ]...I received beta firmware from WeTek for the Hub and I told them DTS/DTS-HD was indeed broken. Since I was in contact with MINIX/amlogic as well I also told them the same.
So both put their release on hold and amlogic went to work to fix it which they now confirmed they have done.
Still waiting on new firmware to test again.

Its all about testing and Quality Assurance.
Its what you pay extra money for with some Kodi devices.

nVIDIA does the same with the Shield, they are running a closed group Firmware test program at the moment and you have to sign up and be surgically implanted with a Android Nougat activity and Shield tracking chip.
Well that last bit may have been exaggerated a wee little bit Wink
My first post here, been reading for a good while. Started with the Fire Stick, then Box, then got the Shield, Odroid C2, Beelink MXIII which I am finally going to flash a MicroSD with LibreElec. Also my daily driver is a Chromebox with LE.

All this to say, I wasn't in the market for a Mi Box until I went to the local WM to get that MicroSD and saw the Mi Box on the shelves for $35. So I got one. Putting SPMC on it now. I don't know what the deal is with the price here in Carlsbad, NM. Couldn't pass up that deal though..
$35 bucks, awesome. Guess WM can make a mistake.
(2016-10-23, 04:01)clarkss12 Wrote: [ -> ]$35 bucks, awesome. Guess WM can make a mistake.
Yup, it seems it is a mistake in just that store. The other nearby store has it for the full price ($69).