Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Xiaomi 4K HDR 'Mi Box' (Android TV set-top box)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I did some initial testing with the box that @hdmkv was kind enough to send me.
The current problem is that the shipped firmware is "middle of the bridge". amlcodec and aml hacks are not usable, as selinux security is enabled and enforced, but amlogic is still busy (with our help) to get their 6.0 firmware compliant with android standards...

So lot of potential, but all depending on how xiaomi and amlogic work together. I'm confident in that, though, as xiaomi asked for our aml contacts, but a bit flabbergasted those contacts did not happen sooner...
Or that they even actually tested the box theirselves with the firmware they did and see if anything T actually performed according to their own advertisement
(2016-10-21, 10:39)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]Proper Dolby and DTS Audio Licensing would be another must have requirement...

When we spoke w/ the head of Android TV 2 years ago at CES, they did not require any audio codecs beyond AAC on Android TV, not even AC3. Has this changed?
(2016-10-23, 16:15)keith Wrote: [ -> ]When we spoke w/ the head of Android TV 2 years ago at CES, they did not require any audio codecs beyond AAC on Android TV, not even AC3. Has this changed?

That would be the baseline, I guess:
https://developer.android.com/guide/appe...rmats.html

But, again:
1) No license needed for passthrough
2) AFAIK, "plain" (as in non HD), AC3/DTS patents expire next year in the US
Yes, to my point, neither DTS nor Dolby licensing is required for Android TV.
How would you get 5.1 Dolby Digital+ from say Netflix decoded to 2.0 PCM without a proper Dolby Digital Licence ?

Is there a handshake between the TV and the ATV OS media player, that then informs Netflix servers to only send 1080p 2.0 PCM Audio streams. I doubt it. But happy to be told I'm wrong. Wink

This gets back to what Google would want for a common ATV OS experience across multiple devices.
(2016-10-23, 16:34)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]I'm just speculating but...how would you get 5.1 Dolby Digital+ from say Netflix decoded to 2.0 PCM without a proper Dolby Digital Licence ?

Mmm... I don't think there is any decoding involved, there. As far as I could notice, DD+ and Stereo are just 2 different streams from Netflix

P.S. In case you don't know, Netflix is using MPD, so multiple resolutions / audio streams described in a manifest, and the client decides which stream / resolution to use...
(2016-10-23, 11:50)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]So lot of potential, but all depending on how xiaomi and amlogic work together. I'm confident in that, though, as xiaomi asked for our aml contacts, but a bit flabbergasted those contacts did not happen sooner...
Sounds encouraging still. Mi Box could end up being a decent 'budget' version of Shield. Though I expect nVidia has their own budget version coming out (based on FCC postings we saw not long ago). Worth paying some more as nVidia appears more serious about a/v playback.
(2016-10-23, 16:15)keith Wrote: [ -> ]When we spoke w/ the head of Android TV 2 years ago at CES, they did not require any audio codecs beyond AAC on Android TV, not even AC3. Has this changed?
Android CDD 6.0 lists only AAC

(2016-10-23, 16:30)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]2) AFAIK, "plain" (as in non HD), AC3/DTS patents expire next year in the US
Even after the patents expire, if you want to display Dolby/DTS logos on your product you will still have to license it and pay trademark royalty.

(2016-10-23, 16:38)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]As far as I could notice, DD+ and Stereo are just 2 different streams from Netflix
Yep, two different audio streams.
(2016-10-23, 16:34)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]How would you get 5.1 Dolby Digital+ from say Netflix decoded to 2.0 PCM without a proper Dolby Digital Licence ?
No need - there are multiple audio streams for 2.0 and DD+ surround. This is just the same as multiple audios for language dubs etc. You switch between them in the same menu that you switch between subtitle streams on most Netflix player implementations.

Quote:Is there a handshake between the TV and the ATV OS media player, that then informs Netflix servers to only send 1080p 2.0 PCM Audio streams. I doubt it. But happy to be told I'm wrong. Wink

Think the default stream played is 2.0 stereo (presumably using a nice simple codec like AAC). If you want the DD+ surround stream (presumably for bitstreaming to your amp) you switch to it via the audio/subtitles menu.

That's my experience on Apple TV, Windows app (not browser) and I my TV (though the TV may be DD rather than DD+) which outputs 5.1 audio via the ARC over HDMI to my AMP.
(2016-10-21, 04:25)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-10-20, 21:39)jakejm79 Wrote: [ -> ]I thought I read somewhere that in order to gain the use of the Android TV OS the company wanting to use it had to send several employees off to meet with Google and conference with them for a week or so out west (for want of a better term). That was the stumbling block for WeTek, it doesn't make financial sense for small companies to have to eat the cost of a multi thousand dollar business trip even before getting started.
Your confusing what you read with what is require to get Widevine Level 1 DRM certification to then be able to stream 720/1080p/4K protected content video from various apps. WeTek has the required certifications and also their AMLogic S812/S905 devices come with Widevine Level 1, so it did not appear to be a problem for them.

http://www.widevine.com/cwip/

So what was the hold up with wetek then? They where already in the testing phase and it got scraped..
Amlogic fucked up their firmware so they need to wait till it actually works
(2016-10-23, 16:38)Koying Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-10-23, 16:34)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]I'm just speculating but...how would you get 5.1 Dolby Digital+ from say Netflix decoded to 2.0 PCM without a proper Dolby Digital Licence ?

Mmm... I don't think there is any decoding involved, there. As far as I could notice, DD+ and Stereo are just 2 different streams from Netflix

P.S. In case you don't know, Netflix is using MPD, so multiple resolutions / audio streams described in a manifest, and the client decides which stream / resolution to use...

Thats true ... i checked comunication on windows 10 in official Netflix app while i watching tvshows and swtching audio/track and resolution.
What is interested audio is no crypted ... and even after extract url is possible download to file Smile included 5.1 Smile

Video seems to be in part for 300mb ...and crypted with DRM

Ineterested is also if we download crypted video file from netflix can we watch in any player in device if has license ?
is no problem extract url for 4k video files and download
(2016-10-23, 22:02)sandogo1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-10-21, 04:25)wrxtasy Wrote: [ -> ]
(2016-10-20, 21:39)jakejm79 Wrote: [ -> ]I thought I read somewhere that in order to gain the use of the Android TV OS the company wanting to use it had to send several employees off to meet with Google and conference with them for a week or so out west (for want of a better term). That was the stumbling block for WeTek, it doesn't make financial sense for small companies to have to eat the cost of a multi thousand dollar business trip even before getting started.
Your confusing what you read with what is require to get Widevine Level 1 DRM certification to then be able to stream 720/1080p/4K protected content video from various apps. WeTek has the required certifications and also their AMLogic S812/S905 devices come with Widevine Level 1, so it did not appear to be a problem for them.

http://www.widevine.com/cwip/

So what was the hold up with wetek then? They where already in the testing phase and it got scraped..

Because Google is the one who decides. Right now it has more to do with Google only working with major companies than anything else. There's a reason why the Razor Forge and Xaiomi Mi Box have been released with some major issues, because they had major companies behind those products. WeTek is a small fish in a big pond.

There are technical requirements and such, but at the end of the day it is Google and Google alone who passes out the keys to the cheese. Hopefully they'll open things up and work with more small fish in the future. That's one of the reasons WeTek is staying on Google's good side by doing things by the book.
(2016-10-22, 15:01)dcervi Wrote: [ -> ]To be a certified Android TV device Google now requires to have VP9 hardware decoding. Wetek should have opted for S905X if they wanted official Android TV on their devices.

Enviat des del meu D5803 usant Tapatalk

At the time the S905X became public it was too late. It is a different chip that needs a lot of time to get things running smoothly. This is also why WeTek didn't drop everything for the S912. A delayed product means a major loss of money, especially when the Hub and Play 2 are the focus of WeTek's current product lineup. There would only be the Core, which is a good box, but was already starting to be dated by the limitations of the S812.

Android TV isn't vital to WeTek at this time. WeTek has at least two big niches that really help us stand out from Android TV itself: built-in PVR (something Android TV will eventually have working well, I hope) and support for other OSes (LibreELEC, Ubuntu, and possibly others). It makes sense to not focus on Android TV for this product generation.

The future? Who knows. WeTek certainly would like to offer an Android TV product if possible and if it is within our resources. If not, then there will be other markets/features to focus on. No one company/product is one-size-fits-all, IMO.